MSI, Corsair Partner Up To Create GeForce GTX 980 Ti Sea Hawk

Status
Not open for further replies.

geopirate

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Thundervore I believe thermodynamics is holding them back. A full coverage block would likely require a bigger radiator than the 120mm provided here which is used for maximum compatibility. Also enough people already complain about the clearance of these things so adding a pump on to the rad would only make things worse. Also the sort of customer looking to buy one of these things likely already has a similar 240mm unit for their CPU and there is a limited selection of cases that will fit 2 240mm rads without modifications as the modding crowd would go for a full custom loop instead of this AIO. Also the manufacturers of the pumps/radiators would be cannibalizing their own custom loop business which has higher margins most likely than these AIO solutions.

Asetek has had this unit for years(740GN). I am sure Corsair just had it re-branded.
http://www.asetek.com/desktop/gpu-combo-coolers/740gn/

On that topic, users have been doing this for years with cpu all in ones(my self included) :)

True but I wonder if this is Corsair trying to break into the GPU market. They only really make one type of PC hardware, RAM, the rest is peripherals. I could imagine they wouldn't mind to take some market share from the others.

airborn824

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Asetek has had this unit for years(740GN). I am sure Corsair just had it re-branded.
http://www.asetek.com/desktop/gpu-combo-coolers/740gn/

On that topic, users have been doing this for years with cpu all in ones(my self included) :)

Yes but that is only the pump. I am looking for a good hybrid cooler like this that has better VRM cooling. I have 2x R9 290 PSC+ and i wish i could hybrid cool them but choices are slim here in the US. You have NZXT and Corsair but i dont have reference fan for the Corsair and the NZXT seems flimsy and bad at VRM, vRAM cooling. I dont have the time, budget or patience for a custom loop

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Thundervore I believe thermodynamics is holding them back. A full coverage block would likely require a bigger radiator than the 120mm provided here which is used for maximum compatibility. Also enough people already complain about the clearance of these things so adding a pump on to the rad would only make things worse. Also the sort of customer looking to buy one of these things likely already has a similar 240mm unit for their CPU and there is a limited selection of cases that will fit 2 240mm rads without modifications as the modding crowd would go for a full custom loop instead of this AIO. Also the manufacturers of the pumps/radiators would be cannibalizing their own custom loop business which has higher margins most likely than these AIO solutions.

I find it hard to believe thermals are preventing them from doing this when there is a R9 295X2 with a 120mm radiator

http://www.asetek.com/customers/do-it-yourself/amd/amd-radeon-r9-295x2/

A 240 radiator is not really needed for normal cooling unless the end user is overclocking.

gamersglory

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
I believe this is the card that Corsair had designed to wo work well with The Bulldog barebones system they have coming out at around the same time

QSV

Honorable
Feb 26, 2015
That package art... LOL!
Yeah well, I bet everyone wants a graphics card as loud as a helicopter, which it probably is, with so many fans plus pump.

For sure, As long as the quality is good more power to them.

CorsairJoseph

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014

GPU market is already populated by the biggest players in the industry, It's best for us to sit in the sideline :)

I Guess. I wouldn't mind more Corsair hardware products TBH. Have always had good luck with Corsair products. Plus I do like supporting an American company a bit more when I can.

Oh on a side note, can you guys make a new top of the line 3.5mm gaming headphones? I love my H1500 but want a new one, I just don't like USB audio.

CorsairJoseph

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014

Glad to hear that we've never let you down :)
Sorry for the OT, but I think you are looking for this .

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
between plastic hoses getting brittle and cracking, leaking or rubber gaskets shriveling.. i'l stick with air coolers as long as possible.
i am still using graphics cards that are nearly 13 years old for my classic gaming rigs. id hate to use one for 4 years, retire it for another 4 years, feel like playing a old game, and my card having a melt down because the pump was dry.

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009

forget about power supply and SSD's?

I did forget about them and I have a AX860i. I guess I think more of in core components. I would love to see them get into boards/GPUs.

Jayz2Cents reviewed the EVGA 980Ti Hybrid version which is essentially identical. Of note:

1) GPU ran at 1480MHz.
2) GPU never went above 50degC.
3) Both fans were very quiet
4) GPU heat goes exhaust through radiator
5) Remaining VRM and VRAM heat exhausts via blower (thus minimal heat into case itself.)

The ONLY big issue I can see is the PUMP. I'm just not sure statistically how reliable those are, and how easy it would be to repair once Warranty expires. I also don't know if there's noticeable noise even though it's supposedly quiet. Pumps are getting better though the FURY X had problems.

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Its right on their site for $739.99
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/landing/hydrogfx

Also I do not understand this halfassed approach to GPU cooling. What is stopping them from using a full GPU water block that covers the VRMs and memory and just move the pump elsewhere. There is allot of room where the blower fan is, why not place the pump there with inlets and outlets?

ALL vrms and rams on a graphic card are getting cooled from the heatsink of the gpu. In air cooling you need massive heatsinks and lately you see, 2-3 fans to cool all this thing off. If you remove the gpu (graphic chip) from the air cooling there is significantly less need for the mass of air cooling heatsink and i bet you can place a heatsink better attached on vrms/ram (without need of thermal pads and cheap ass metal plates..
So a watercool of the gpu and air cool of the rest is a very good combo that doesnt stress neither of the cooling options. thats what i believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.