[SOLVED] MSI Gaming X RX 470 running 82-90+ and crashing

Dec 26, 2019
Here we go again. So, just last week I solved my problem of overheating due to a lack of airflow and cable management. I was able to play the instance of the game that previously ran at 85-90+ at 70-80, which was great.

However, upon further testing, my GPU still overheats, or runs at very high temperatures, leading to throttling and crashes. I don't know what to do at this point. It is not so much continuous as it is spontaneous. In Apex Legends, I reach a constant temp of 83+, throttling heavily down to 20 fps and reaching 90 when viewing explosions or particle effects. In GMod, however, I maintain a stable temperature of 57-63, but when viewing a particle effect it reaches 80.

This has rendered my PC completely incapable of its intended purpose, running no better than my older, much worse PC. I am very, very, thankful for any and all assistance.

Specs: MSI Gaming X RX 470, I5 7400, 8GB DDR4 Ram

Let me know if you need anything else.

Solution
I have two exhaust fans, one mounted to the back, and another on the top beside it. I have one intake fan directly beside the top fan, and another intake on the bottom of the front panel. This fan placement is in accordance with the previous post thread, which saw the listed change in temperature.

My idle temp is now 32c, but when playing games such as Apex Legends, or when viewing particle effects in less demanding titles, my temperature skyrockets, and my PC crashes. I feel there is something I am doing wrong, or something wrong with the GPU itself, as I've seen this card run 69c in a very similar setup.

That's interesting, make sure the fans on the GPU are running, if they are maybe use AMD Overdrive to see if the GPU...

stephenberrelli

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
All of your case fans are running and are facing the correct way? Hot air rises above the GPU so an exhaust fan running out of the side of the PC right above the GPU is a good help. Also what fans do you have on your case and are they spinning fast enough?

Dec 26, 2019
Also what fans do you have on your case and are they spinning fast enough?
I have two exhaust fans, one mounted to the back, and another on the top beside it. I have one intake fan directly beside the top fan, and another intake on the bottom of the front panel. This fan placement is in accordance with the previous post thread, which saw the listed change in temperature.

My idle temp is now 32c, but when playing games such as Apex Legends, or when viewing particle effects in less demanding titles, my temperature skyrockets, and my PC crashes. I feel there is something I am doing wrong, or something wrong with the GPU itself, as I've seen this card run 69c in a very similar setup.

stephenberrelli

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018

That's interesting, make sure the fans on the GPU are running, if they are maybe use AMD Overdrive to see if the GPU fans are running at a normal speed. If that doesn't work I would consider contacting AMD and or MSI.

Solution
Dec 26, 2019
That's interesting, make sure the fans on the GPU are running, if they are maybe use AMD Overdrive to see if the GPU fans are running at a normal speed. If that doesn't work I would consider contacting AMD and or MSI.

Very sorry for the late reply, thank you very much for the help. I might try to replace the thermal pads/paste, if that does not fix the issue I will definitely contact AMD or MSI.

Both of the GPU fans are running, and at their listed speeds. This is a very strange issue that has yet to be solved by any of the conventional means, so I will probably contact the manufacturer.

stephenberrelli

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
Very sorry for the late reply, thank you very much for the help. I might try to replace the thermal pads/paste, if that does not fix the issue I will definitely contact AMD or MSI.

Both of the GPU fans are running, and at their listed speeds. This is a very strange issue that has yet to be solved by any of the conventional means, so I will probably contact the manufacturer.

Sounds good, sorry I couldn't be of more help.