Question MSI GE66 raider won't detect system drive (SSD) when its hot and BSOD

Oct 27, 2022
MSI-GE66-RAIDER-15.jpg

Issue 1: BSOD WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE ERROR when booting drive is in SSD slot #2, It crashes a lot on boot, sometimes stable
Issue 2: No BSOD when Booting drive is installed in SSD slot #1, No errors while cold boot. after 3-4 restarts and CPU gets above 70 degrees C, won't detect the booting SSD drive and goes in to the BIOS . Need to shut down for 10 minutes to cool down and it boots back to windows.
Tried with different NVME SSD drives and same issues.
I am thinking its the SATA/PCIe Slot is the problem. How can I solve this?

+
No errors while cold boot. after 3-4 restarts OR CPU gets above 70 degrees C after running heavy programs, and restart the system won't detect the booting SSD drive "
My bad not putting all the details needed.
If I don't restart the laptop, it won't force shut down or BSOD anything when the booting drive is in SLOT #1

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022
First thing of all, if you has an overheating on hardware, you need solve this, maybe is required use liquid metal, but if don't know how use this well, it can damage your MoBo if leaks, at least try a 12W/mk or more thermal paste to try solve the overheating, observe the hardware behavior with controlled heat.
You need isopropyl alcohol and a cotton to clean the old thermal paste.

Oct 27, 2022
First thing of all, if you has an overheating on hardware, you need solve this, maybe is required use liquid metal, but if don't know how use this well, it can damage your MoBo if leaks, at least try a 12W/mk or more thermal paste to try solve the overheating, observe the hardware behavior with controlled heat.

The laptop is not overheating, I runned benchmarks to test out my assumptions about the issues so it was running hot. But no overheating issues so far.
"No errors while cold boot. after 3-4 restarts OR CPU gets above 70 degrees C after running heavy programs, and restart the system won't detect the booting SSD drive "
My bad not putting all the details needed.
If I don't restart the laptop, it won't force shut down or BSOD anything when the booting drive is in SLOT #1

Oct 26, 2022
Maybe it's a soldering bad contact (Cold Soldering) on slots, or damaged tracks on PCB, or a matter with BIOS, or even the disk.
On hypothesis of updating BIOS, it's better doing this on a laptop than on a desktop without a no-break! :giggle:
If lose the AC power when updating BIOS on a desktop without nobreak results on BIOS corruption.

Are your laptop a Dell G15? If yes, I'm not sure, but it can already have liquid metal.

Not only processor and GPU cooling are important, chipset cooling is important too, and overheating on chipset can cause issues on data transfer.

On photo I see the chipset without any cooler 😁.

Last edited: