Question MSI GF63 Thin 9RCX stuttering in almost every big game. What's causing it ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 29, 2020
DISCLAIMER: I'm sorry if this is too long but please for anyone that knows what's causing this take your time to read the details because I'm really confused on what to do or to buy.

I recently bought an MSI GF63 Thin 9RCX laptop and since the first day I bought it I started noticing that it stutters in almost every big game I throw at it and it's starting to get annoying overtime. I tried literally everything software wise I even reset my windows couple times and nothing really happened it had the same issue and I can't seem to figure out what's the problem.

SPECS :

Product Name: MSI GF63 Thin 9RCX
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Ver.1909(OS build 18363.720)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz
Ram/Memory: 1x8 gb (8192 MB @ 1333 MHz, DDR4-2667, Samsung M471A1K43CB1-CTD)
HDD: Segate ST1000LM049-2GH172 - 1TB 7200 RPM drive
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 4096 MB GDD5

DETAILS & What I noticed:

I noticed something very strange about it, when I installed BF3 which even my old pc can run I can play it just fine but it stutters when the autosave kicks in every checkpoint and it freezes for 2 seconds then loads the checkpoint, and also in FiveM I can play with normal fps but it stutters randomly for 1 to 2 secs and when I drive cars at high speeds it stutters really badly and it becomes unplayable here is a video of my stutter in JC3:
Video
As you can notice sounds are looping and things going weird. My question is what the hell is causing this problem is it my RAM or my HDD. From my research some people say that HDD won't solve your problem and some others say I need to switch to dual channel memory and I can't seem to find an actual fixed solution for this . What I think it is maybe HDD? It stutters at "saving" in BF3 which is an old af game and I should run it just fine. I don't know anymore. Literally the only game that I don't get any stuttering in is Roblox. Others stutter or micro stutter which is just annoying. Please I really need to fix the problem this is my first ever gaming pc and I'm already having <Mod Edit> ton of problems.

Thanks looking forward for your responses

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 29, 2020
unknown.png
unknown.png

Nothing works, everything they did there I already tried and the only thing I didn't do is "removing dragon center) which did nothing, CPU is still limited to 25w and clock speed drops down hard to 2.6 they said that they fixed it by disabling the nvidia GPU which is just dumb to do since I want to play games
@Phaaze88

Apr 29, 2020
Sorry... I don't know what else to tell ya. They got that limit hard coded into the bios or something, with the excuse that the full 45w will throttle on the thinbooks...
I might've found something but I'm not sure if I should even touch this:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/MSILaptops/comments/boe9uu/unlocking_bios_on_most_msi_laptops/

I mean I'm quite competent when it comes to computers in general but I just don't want to mess anything up (I have flashbacks of bricking my dell xps laptop when I tried modifying the hardcoded clock speed limit lol )
so I need an advice on what to do from a guy who dealt with msi products

Apr 29, 2020
Well, that's interesting!
Are you able to do it with your model though?
YUP just unlocked loads of features but I don't know what to exactly modify there's Power limit 1 which is set to 45 and power limit 2 which is set to 95 and there's some thing called turbo tdp ratio which is 25 in the information label and in the blue (modification label) pl 1 & pl2 are and turbo tdp ratio are all set to 0 for some reason

Apr 29, 2020
YUP just unlocked loads of features but I don't know what to exactly modify there's Power limit 1 which is set to 45 and power limit 2 which is set to 95 and there's some thing called configurable tdp ratio which is 25 in the information label and in the blue (modification label) pl 1 & pl2 are and "configurable tdp ratio are all set to 0 for some reason
can you tell me what I should be looking for based on that video (settings template are quite similar)

edit : they look exactly similar
I have 2 config tdp levels and they're all set to 0 including the turbo activation tdp ratio or whatever it's called
in the grey part where it shows the current values it says 25.0 (unlocked)
Phaaze88

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Power Limit 1 is for the 9750H running all cores at base frequency.
Power Limit 2 is for the cpu to reach those turbo clocks.

Your specs aren't the exact same as the other user. Compare the performance specifications:
i7-9750H
i7-10710U
-Frequencies are different, I get that.
-I know what the power limits are and do.
-You've just got TDP down(35w default), he's got both up(25w) and down(12.5), on top of TDP frequencies up and down too
-There's power limit windows(in seconds). The window for PL1 should be 0, same thing for the activation ratio.

I'm kinda confusing myself looking at this guy's bios and trying to apply to yours...o_O

I'd imagine the Configurable TDP Down is what Msi changed(the 25w) that's throttling your cpu, and should be all you need to change.

Apr 29, 2020
Power Limit 1 is for the 9750H running all cores at base frequency.
Power Limit 2 is for the cpu to reach those turbo clocks.

Your specs aren't the exact same as the other user. Compare the performance specifications:
i7-9750H
i7-10710U
-Frequencies are different, I get that.
-I know what the power limits are and do.
-You've just got TDP down(35w default), he's got both up(25w) and down(12.5), on top of TDP frequencies up and down too
-There's power limit windows(in seconds). The window for PL1 should be 0, same thing for the activation ratio.

I'm kinda confusing myself looking at this guy's bios and trying to apply to yours...o_O

I'd imagine the Configurable TDP Down is what Msi changed(the 25w) that's throttling your cpu, and should be all you need to change.
Sorry if I confused you here are my bios setttings (I'm not sure what to change exactly / what exact value) the only thing I changed is the energy efficient p state (disabled it) and I'm not sure about the tdp stuff, here are some screen shots :
20200703_060410.jpg

20200703_060430.jpg

Phaaze88
edit : I also just noticed that the cpu tdp get's limited when the world renders in but when I was at the gta loading screen it was hitting 33w

unknown.png

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Okay, that's the cpu TDP down kicking in in the hwinfo image.

Beneath 'Custom Settings Down':
Set PL1 to 40. If it's in milliwatts like in that guy's video, set it to 40,000.
Set ConfigTDP Turbo Activation Ratio to 30.
Save and exit.

The settings I've suggested should:
-instead of capping at 35w, it should stop at 40w.
-instead of sitting at 2.2ghz, it should do 3.0ghz - IF temps are alright.
This is just testing the waters - raising power limits/frequency will increase thermals. If there's headroom available, then this bump shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Apr 29, 2020
I set the one under custom settings down
PL1 : 40,000
PL2 : 0
Config TDP : 30
unknown.png

EDIT : Nothing changed I still get that game freezing when crashing a car or going fast

Phaaze88

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020
Okay, that's the cpu TDP down kicking in in the hwinfo image.

Beneath 'Custom Settings Down':
Set PL1 to 40. If it's in milliwatts like in that guy's video, set it to 40,000.
Set ConfigTDP Turbo Activation Ratio to 30.
Save and exit.

The settings I've suggested should:
-instead of capping at 35w, it should stop at 40w.
-instead of sitting at 2.2ghz, it should do 3.0ghz - IF temps are alright.
This is just testing the waters - raising power limits/frequency will increase thermals. If there's headroom available, then this bump shouldn't be too much of a problem.
It's still capped at 25w on hwinfo and the stupid game freezing is still there

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Core 5 thermal throttling... is that the only core? There's also Package/Ring Thermal Throttling...
Even if that core is the only one, it's going to affect all others.

This laptop does not have the necessary cooling to handle raising the power limits - that's why Msi did what they did.
It's messed up, but everyone who bought that model got screwed.

Apr 29, 2020
Core 5 thermal throttling... is that the only core? There's also Package/Ring Thermal Throttling...
Even if that core is the only one, it's going to affect all others.

This laptop does not have the necessary cooling to handle raising the power limits - that's why Msi did what they did.
It's messed up, but everyone who bought that model got screwed.
Perhaps, I'm still not convinced at all that this could be a power limit issue my whole game is freezing for a split second and the gpu usage drops to literally 0% every few seconds and drops even faster when I go into the city in gta or some explosion happens take a look:
unknown.png
unknown.png

unknown.png

and even when undervolting it and the gpu barely hits 70c it still happens perhaps this could be a ram issue? This happens whenever I throw a deamanding game on my laptop. Like GTA5 / Asseto corasa with ultra textures/JC4 & JC3. But rarely happens when playing roblox and playing a heavy modded game in roblox and happens sometimes in asseto corsa without mods.
AND this big thing that convinces me that this could be the problem is that when watching youtube videos this sometimes happens (not much though) when watching at 720p / 1080p and it happens for a split second. (even though chrome is literally using the igpu not nvidia and the cpu is on eco mode which means it's not gonna even try to consume power beyond the limit set by MSI and I got further convinced when I found this post (which he stated that he fixed that problem by replacing his faulty ram)
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gpu-usage-drops-to-0-games-freeze-for-5-10-seconds.2757357/
even though my game doesn't freeze for "5-10 seconds" it's kinda related (mine at max freezes for like 3 but most of the time it's less than a second to a second but it's still noticable either way). I could be wrong so I figured out I might aswell ask you I really appriciate the effort you've put in helping me with this annoying issue. Do you know anyway to confirm my theory? what i've tried so far is running the memdiag test which came up with nothing,also to further add on this is that when I put my cpu on eco mode which means the cpu clock speed is capped at 1.20 ghz on all cores and go into gta the game runs on 25 fps and even though the game is kinda laggy gpu usage drops and freezing still happen so it's prob not a power limit thing I'm quite sure. but I'm not sure how the power limit would effect the gpu thus causing the whole game to freeze and the clock speed and usage to drop to absolute minimum causing the whole game to freeze. edit : my other message is still waiting for mod approval give it few hours.

EDIT : forgot to mention that there were 2 times where once my computer just completly froze while playing gta and talking to a friend on discord (keyboard backlight went off and windows compelety froze) and today when I was testing the gpu to show you the graphs my game started flickering (black screen then goes back to normal I fixed it by alt tabbing serveral times and then my game crashed and windows explorer also crashed so I had to sign out and sign back in to get back on my desktop) so again do you know anyway to test what's causing this.
Phaaze88

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020
I just hope this isn't about power limit because I've seen people use this laptop just fine without issues
3.PNG
2.PNG
1.PNG

I really don't know at this point because the only real time thing I noticed is just cpu & gpu usage drops which doesn't happen in less demanding games.

Aug 18, 2020
Sorry i don't have answer to your problem. But i also bought the same laptop from an online store and it just got delievered 4 days ago. I was really happy to finally have a gaming laptop. So i downloaded CSGO and i started playing it. it was working fine on the first day. I only played it for 10-15 minutes. But then on the next day when i played CSGO i experienced major frame drops in the game. I don't what is wrong. Even NFS RUN is not working smooth on this laptop. And i only have 2 days left to return this product and get another one in exchange. So Please Help ME what should i do. Exchange this or not. is this a hardware problem or Software. Help me i am not a computer expert so i really want your opinion on this. Reply to this ASAP. Please

Latest posts