[SOLVED] MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X running hot and loud

Jan 10, 2020
Hello,
I bought a second hand msi gtx 1070 gaming X a while ago, over time the card continues to run at increasingly higher temperatures to the point where now, if I play a graphics intensive game like Rdr2 or Gears 5, the card averages around 80°C and the fans spin so loudly it sounds like a tiny angry helicopter is trying to escape my case.

I have a Phanteks P400A case with three intake fans running at 1200rpm, while my two exhaust fans and cpu cooler all run at around 900rpm, for overall positive pressure.

Everything else in my pc runs nice and cool. The cpu idles around 30°C and averages around 45°C during gaming sessions. I bought the P400A based off the Gamers Nexus review that seemed to show off such great thermals.

Is it possible the previous owner used the card for mining and now the fans are worn out?

All the reviews I've seen for this card say it shouldn't run hotter than 70°C. I've tried numerous fan speed curves and nothing makes a difference - either the fans don't run fast enough, the card gets too hot and thermal throttles, or they run like a swarm of bees in a blender and barely keep the gpu from going beyond 80°C.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Is it possible the previous owner used the card for mining and now the fans are worn out?
Quite possible the card was used for mining. Are you seeing any artifacts?

Fans worn out, though? No, but you need to understand that gpus are normally equipped with 3000+rpm fans, so they're only going to be so 'quiet'.
I would say to cap the max fan rpm, but then the card would likely throttle, so scratch that.

It could also be that the card simply needs the thermal paste - and maybe the pads - replaced.

It's also quite possible the previous owner did their own paste job and screwed it up. No way to know without opening the card up though....

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Quite possible the card was used for mining. Are you seeing any artifacts?

Fans worn out, though? No, but you need to understand that gpus are normally equipped with 3000+rpm fans, so they're only going to be so 'quiet'.
I would say to cap the max fan rpm, but then the card would likely throttle, so scratch that.

It could also be that the card simply needs the thermal paste - and maybe the pads - replaced.

It's also quite possible the previous owner did their own paste job and screwed it up. No way to know without opening the card up though....

Solution
Jan 10, 2020
Thank you!!!

I took your advice and did a fresh application of thermal paste to the gpu/heatsink.

The old thermal paste was dry and crusty and there was almost no paste actually making contact between the die and the heatsink.

I just played RDR2 for an hour and the difference in temperature is astounding. Before I was averaging 80 and hitting a maximum of 83, and the fans were screaming.

Now my gpu hit a maximum of 67 and averaged around 64, and not a sound from the fans as they barely went over 40% speed.

Thank you so much for your advice, you've given this gpu a new lease of life and my ears are especially appreciative.

Reactions: Phaaze88