Question MSI H310M PRO-D Cuts power from wifi or USB 3.1 under heavy load

mwasil

Prominent
Oct 18, 2019
Hi everyone, It's my first post so hello all!
I'm experiencing a problem supposedly with my MSI H310M PRO-D mobo. before I explain, this is my full sys config:

Mobo: MSI H310M PRO-D
CPU: Coffe Lake i7 8700 (non-K)
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Turbo OC (blower fan)
RAM: 2 x Kingston Predator 16GB @2666, 13-15-15 (total of 32 GB)
PSU: SILENTIUMPC 600W VERO L2 80+ BRONZE
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows 10 | 10.0.18362 Build 18362
GPU Driver: 431.70
MSI Bios version: 1.80
-------------------------------------------------------------------

So here's the problem. I mostly do gaming and 3d rendering on my PC, and under heavy load (sometimes rendering, but quite often with gaming) my external hard drive (WD Elements HDD) is constantly unmounting and mounting back. Another funny thing, If I plug in an external drive in my front panel USB 3.1, and then plug another one in my rear USB 3.1 panel... the WIFI PCI-e card stops working. It drops connection which cannot be re-estabilished until i plug at least one of the external drives out and restart the system.
What might be the problem? BIOS update is pointless because the version newer than 1.8 only fixes support for new i9 processors. Is my PSU too weak? Or is it a direct problem with the mobo, something about power phases? I'm really riddled with this and I rather ask if someone has an idea how to fix it before I buy a new mobo.
Cheers

Lutfij

Titan
First off, I applaud your intention to include as much information, out of the gate, as possible. Often times asking for info only bogs down troubleshooting progress.
+ Welcome to the forums!
:)

As for your BIOS, there is one more BIOS update found off of MSI's support site, version 1.9. Manually update the BIOS and see if the issue persists. Often times, not every fix within the BIOS rom is stated. In the past, there used to be a changelog bundled with the rom files so the end user knew what was changed from the previous version, now it's skimped out due to cost reasons(employing a person to do more would cost more).

If you want to rule out the PSU to be the issue, please change it out for a branded, higher wattage unit that is reliably built to see if you're getting the same issues.

If I was asked to build you a system with the above parts, I'd have changed the H310 chipset for a B360 chipset.

mwasil

Prominent
Oct 18, 2019
First off, I applaud your intention to include as much information, out of the gate, as possible. Often times asking for info only bogs down troubleshooting progress.
+ Welcome to the forums!
:)

As for your BIOS, there is one more BIOS update found off of MSI's support site, version 1.9. Manually update the BIOS and see if the issue persists. Often times, not every fix within the BIOS rom is stated. In the past, there used to be a changelog bundled with the rom files so the end user knew what was changed from the previous version, now it's skimped out due to cost reasons(employing a person to do more would cost more).

If you want to rule out the PSU to be the issue, please change it out for a branded, higher wattage unit that is reliably built to see if you're getting the same issues.

If I was asked to build you a system with the above parts, I'd have changed the H310 chipset for a B360 chipset.

Hi, thanks for replying :) As suggested I used M-flash to install latest 1.9 bios. Unfortunately, I can confirm problem persists. Mounted an external WD Elements HDD in the front panel, and an external ADATA 256gb ssd in the rear panel and wifi connection immediately dropped. Unfortunately this PSU is the only one I have...

About chipsets - what would be the real advantage in using B360 over H310 in this case?
EDIT: and, any particular budget mobo model that you recommend the most for this setup?

Last edited: