MSI K8T Neo-FSR not booting (no beeps, 4 red diodes)

I'm trying to build a system with a MSI K8T Neo-FSR motherboard, an Athlon 64 3400+
CPU and a (known-to-work) Radeon 9700. It's not booting or beeping, and I'm getting
4 red LED's. At the moment I have nothing but the above parts (and the diagnostic
bracket) plugged into the motherboard.

First, I'm not sure I have the processor and CPU fan installed properly. I bought the
retail version with the generic Athlon CPU fan, and the instructions seem to indicate
that you need to hook the fan lever into or underneath the retaining clip somehow. Is
this true? It doesn't look to me like this needs to be done, and I haven't found a clear
picture of how it should look when you're done (the picture in the manual isn't clear).

Second, I believe I've done all the obvious stuff (disconnect every unessential
component, clear the CMOS, remove and replace the battery, remove the memory) and
get the same results. So I'm down to checking my motherboard installation into the
case and checking the processor installation.

Is it enough to put the motherboard onto the static bag it came with in order to safely
power it on outside the case? Or should I buy a big anti-static mat? (Wouldn't hurt
anyway, I know.)

Also, any other gotchas I'm missing here? I think I've got another AGP card around
somewhere I could try, too, but the one in there was working with my last PC.

"R.H." <i_get_too_much@spam.net> wrote in message

> I'm trying to build a system with a MSI K8T Neo-FSR motherboard, an Athlon
> 64 3400+
> CPU and a (known-to-work) Radeon 9700. It's not booting or beeping, and
> I'm getting
> 4 red LED's. At the moment I have nothing but the above parts (and the
> diagnostic
> bracket) plugged into the motherboard.
>
> First, I'm not sure I have the processor and CPU fan installed properly. I
> bought the
> retail version with the generic Athlon CPU fan, and the instructions seem
> to indicate
> that you need to hook the fan lever into or underneath the retaining clip
> somehow. Is
> this true? It doesn't look to me like this needs to be done, and I haven't
> found a clear

I puzzled over this inadequate diagram for a while before ignoring it -
works fine processor & fan assembly is secure and its worked fine for a
couple of months.

Have you got the reset cmos jumper in the correct position? (think its jbat)

Nik

"R.H." <i_get_too_much@spam.net> wrote in message

> I'm trying to build a system with a MSI K8T Neo-FSR motherboard, an Athlon
> 64 3400+
> CPU and a (known-to-work) Radeon 9700. It's not booting or beeping, and
> I'm getting
> 4 red LED's. At the moment I have nothing but the above parts (and the
> diagnostic

according to my docs this shows a processor problem, is it seated properly,
you have got the square aux power plug in havent you :) - do the fans spin?

nik

This mainboard is very fussy about power supply and ram. Like most newer
boards, it will not post with an AGP 2X video card. I know that the 9700
supports both 2X (3.3 volts) and 4X (1.5 volts). I do not know if there is
a jumper setting on the Radeon 9700 to switch between 2X and 4X. But if
there is, and if the current setting is 2X, then your K8T Neo will
definitely not boot. But then again, if that were the case, you would get 3
red lights and not 4 on the diagnostic.

There are all kinds of warnings about starting up without a heatsink firmly
attached. You can burn out the CPU in a matter of seconds. It is most
important to hook the fan lever into the retaining clip in order for the
sink to make proper contact. On the plus side, if that is your situation,
you can RMA a retail CPU back to AMD. Their turnaround is pretty good.

"NikV" <nk@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>"R.H." <i_get_too_much@spam.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I'm trying to build a system with a MSI K8T Neo-FSR motherboard, an Athlon
>> 64 3400+
>> CPU and a (known-to-work) Radeon 9700. It's not booting or beeping, and
>> I'm getting
>> 4 red LED's. At the moment I have nothing but the above parts (and the
>> diagnostic
>> bracket) plugged into the motherboard.
>>
>> First, I'm not sure I have the processor and CPU fan installed properly. I
>> bought the
>> retail version with the generic Athlon CPU fan, and the instructions seem
>> to indicate
>> that you need to hook the fan lever into or underneath the retaining clip
>> somehow. Is
>> this true? It doesn't look to me like this needs to be done, and I haven't
>> found a clear
>
>I puzzled over this inadequate diagram for a while before ignoring it -
>works fine processor & fan assembly is secure and its worked fine for a
>couple of months.
>
>Have you got the reset cmos jumper in the correct position? (think its jbat)

Thanks, yeah, the CMOS jumper is in the right spot. I tried it in the other position, too.

Oh, and the fans are spinning. I meant to mention that, but idiotically didn't.

Thanks, I'll see if there's a jumper on the Radeon. That's definitely one thing I didn't
think of.

Also, the fans are running. I meant to mention that--it's defintely the first thing I looked
for. :)

"John McDonnell" <jmcdonne@verizon.net> wrote:

>This mainboard is very fussy about power supply and ram. Like most newer
>boards, it will not post with an AGP 2X video card. I know that the 9700
>supports both 2X (3.3 volts) and 4X (1.5 volts). I do not know if there is
>a jumper setting on the Radeon 9700 to switch between 2X and 4X. But if
>there is, and if the current setting is 2X, then your K8T Neo will
>definitely not boot. But then again, if that were the case, you would get 3
>red lights and not 4 on the diagnostic.
>
>There are all kinds of warnings about starting up without a heatsink firmly
>attached. You can burn out the CPU in a matter of seconds. It is most
>important to hook the fan lever into the retaining clip in order for the
>sink to make proper contact. On the plus side, if that is your situation,
>you can RMA a retail CPU back to AMD. Their turnaround is pretty good.
>

>"R.H." <i_get_too_much@spam.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I'm trying to build a system with a MSI K8T Neo-FSR motherboard, an Athlon
>> 64 3400+
>> CPU and a (known-to-work) Radeon 9700. It's not booting or beeping, and
>> I'm getting
>> 4 red LED's. At the moment I have nothing but the above parts (and the
>> diagnostic
>> bracket) plugged into the motherboard.
>>
>> First, I'm not sure I have the processor and CPU fan installed properly. I
>> bought the
>> retail version with the generic Athlon CPU fan, and the instructions seem
>> to indicate
>> that you need to hook the fan lever into or underneath the retaining clip
>> somehow. Is
>> this true? It doesn't look to me like this needs to be done, and I haven't
>> found a clear
>> picture of how it should look when you're done (the picture in the manual
>> isn't clear).
>>
>> Second, I believe I've done all the obvious stuff (disconnect every
>> unessential
>> component, clear the CMOS, remove and replace the battery, remove the
>> memory) and
>> get the same results. So I'm down to checking my motherboard installation
>> into the
>> case and checking the processor installation.
>>
>> Is it enough to put the motherboard onto the static bag it came with in
>> order to safely
>> power it on outside the case? Or should I buy a big anti-static mat?
>> (Wouldn't hurt
>> anyway, I know.)
>>
>> Also, any other gotchas I'm missing here? I think I've got another AGP
>> card around
>> somewhere I could try, too, but the one in there was working with my last
>> PC.

Good luck. But the fans will run even if the CPU is dead. The most
important thing is that the heatsink be in full contact with the CPU.