News MSI Launches Project Zero Motherboards With Hidden Connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

elforeign

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
Any word on case compatibility? I haven't followed too closely since I'm not in the market to upgrade at the moment, but from the initial videos earlier this year I head case compatibility could be a big issue for these backside connector boards.

bolweval

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Any word on case compatibility? I haven't followed too closely since I'm not in the market to upgrade at the moment, but from the initial videos earlier this year I head case compatibility could be a big issue for these backside connector boards.
wouldn't be to hard to cut the holes where you need them on your mobo tray...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
MSI has branded cases, they will simply market the motherboard and case together.

No different then the power distribution PSU and chassis, or the Shift PSUs, or any of the other custom configurations like this.

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
wouldn't be to hard to cut the holes where you need them on your mobo tray...
Unless you destroy the integrity of the motherboard sheet metal given some of the holes need to be large.

I like this idea of all connectors in the back.

at the same time i have no issues looking at the wires in my case and wish my PSU did not have a shroud hiding it.

are the riser screws going to be longer for the motherboard or will the holes allow the connectors to stick out the back?

Reactions: phenomiix6

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There are appropriate holes for all the currently listed and future compatible chassis. Standoff heights vary from case to case, but they are not trying to put the cables behind the motherboard, but behind the motherboard tray as ususal.

Plenty of video out there from the various electronics and computer conventions where the prototypes of these made appearances, if you are curious.

Today with as big as GPUs are getting, you lose several slots. If the GPU x16 slot was on the back and 90 degrees like you can achieve in Mini-ITX boards with a riser, you could keep all the other slots on the front accessible. Also allows you to separate GPU and CPU cooling. You could at that point also make the front side slots 90 degrees and reduce over case width. Not much of a market, but I still think it would be interesting.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
From an accessibility standpoint this is smart. Many AIOs make it difficult to get to these. However with them being on the back, I'd imagine there will need to be a pretty hard bend in some/most(?) instances so that the side panel go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.