[SOLVED] MSI MAG B550M MORTAR USB BIOS Flash not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvertommy1

Reputable
Dec 10, 2016
I purchased a MSI b550m MAG mortar, and tried to use a USB to flash the bios, since it would not post with my ryzen 5600x.

I followed the instructions from MSI on creating the flash media, (naming it MSI.ROM...) etc. The problem arises when I plug it in, it flashes a bit, the CPU debug turns on, then it continues to flash for an extended amount of time (greater than the 1-10m allotted by the website). I have tried using ROM files with improper names, and as a result the CPU debug light does does not turn on, signaling that the motherboard at least is successfully reading the file. I've also verified that the drives are in MBR, not GBT, and on a single partition, along with two of the most recent bios updates available on the website.

I've tried two different flash drives (8 GB USB 2, 16 GB USB 3), and both have the same issue with the USB led continuing to flash for extended periods of time. I do have a microcenter location near me, and I can visit for their BIOS update service, but I'd rather keep that as one of the last options. Any ideas?

Solution
I've done all these steps, but I can confirm that the BIOS file does need to be called MSI.ROM for flashless to work. - I've waited over 30 minutes with no cpu inserted. The USB port is flashing, and the CPU led debug is on.
I have done several Flash BIOS updates and never changed the BIOS file name.
I got stuck like that once and I just turned PSU switch to off, remove the CMOS battery and wait 5 minutes before reinstalling it. I try the BIOS flash again on a different USB flash drive and it went thru.

By the way if the process gets interrupted it might make the board not to work again.
I was helping someone that was a bit eager, since the update was taking longer than the 10 minutes mentioned by MSI, he removed the USB...
Hi Silvertommy1.

You download the BIOS file. You extract the files from that file. You take the BIOS single file and you put it on a fat32 formatted USB key. You rename the file to MSI.ROM.

You then put the USB key in the appropriate BIOS USB port at the back. The CPU needs to be removed from the board to do this. The CPU cannot be installed.

When you only have the CPU power and the 24pin motherboard power connected and the system is off you're ready. You press that BIOS flashback button for 2 seconds and a light should start flashing. When the flashing stop the process is completed. You can then install the CPU.

Last edited:
I purchased a MSI b550m MAG mortar, and tried to use a USB to flash the bios, since it would not post with my ryzen 5600x.

I followed the instructions from MSI on creating the flash media, (naming it MSI.ROM...) etc. The problem arises when I plug it in, it flashes a bit, the CPU debug turns on, then it continues to flash for an extended amount of time (greater than the 1-10m allotted by the website). I have tried using ROM files with improper names, and as a result the CPU debug light does does not turn on, signaling that the motherboard at least is successfully reading the file. I've also verified that the drives are in MBR, not GBT, and on a single partition, along with two of the most recent bios updates available on the website.

I've tried two different flash drives (8 GB USB 2, 16 GB USB 3), and both have the same issue with the USB led continuing to flash for extended periods of time. I do have a microcenter location near me, and I can visit for their BIOS update service, but I'd rather keep that as one of the last options. Any ideas?

Power off PC and turn off PSU.
Remove CPU, memory and graphics card...it might not be necessary but I found that otherwise it might extend the BIOS update process or even stop it.
Make sure the PSU 24-pin and 8-pin CPU power are connected to the motherboard.
Turn PSU switch to the ON position
Just head to MSI website, download the BIOS for your motherboard, extract the file, and place the BIOS file on a USB flash drive (FAT32). No need to rename the BIOS file.
Plug the USB flash drive to the USB port next to the Flash BIOS Button (black USB port on the back)
Press the Flash Bios Button for 3 seconds and release it.
Within 5 seconds you will see a red blinking LED light, right next to the button. The PSU will power on and you might see some LED lights on the motherboard.
It could take up to 18 minutes for the BIOS update process to end.
Wait for the red blinking LED light to go out then wait 5 minutes and power off the PSU.
Disconnect the USB flash drive.
Install CPU, memory or graphics card
Power on the PSU and turn on the PC.
Be patience, since it could take several minutes for the motherboard to configure hardware and it could power cycle several times.

You have to rename the file to MSI.ROM if you use the BIOS Flashback function. Using the BIOS flash function does not require you change the file name but the other method does. It looks for a file named MSI.ROM. When you flash your BIOS in the BIOS you can choose the file from a BIOS file explorer which tells the BIOS which file to use. BIOS Flashback is not like that.

silvertommy1

Reputable
Dec 10, 2016
You have to rename the file to MSI.ROM if you use the BIOS Flashback function. Using the BIOS flash function does not require you change the file name but the other method does. It looks for a file named MSI.ROM. When you flash your BIOS in the BIOS you can choose the file from a BIOS file explorer which tells the BIOS which file to use. BIOS Flashback is not like that.
Firstly, thank you for your quick answers.

I'm not sure if I've conflated two terms - but I am using the BIOS Flash USB button on the back of the motherboard. As of right now, my rig will not post to bios for a BIOS flash. I've accidentally used the wrong file extension already (in one run, I typed in MSI.DOS instead of MSI.ROM), but from what I gather from your message if i'm using the cpu-less method, I should be using a file called MSI.ROM.

In accordance with your earlier reply as well, I've removed my cpu, ram, and graphics card (should I also disconnect M.2 storage?) - and I am still waiting on a result. I'll update this thread in 8-10 minutes if the LEDs turn off - the problem I'm trying to convey is that the flashing takes a long time.

Firstly, thank you for your quick answers.

I'm not sure if I've conflated two terms - but I am using the BIOS Flash USB button on the back of the motherboard. As of right now, my rig will not post to bios for a BIOS flash. I've accidentally used the wrong file extension already (in one run, I typed in MSI.DOS instead of MSI.ROM), but from what I gather from your message if i'm using the cpu-less method, I should be using a file called MSI.ROM.

In accordance with your earlier reply as well, I've removed my cpu, ram, and graphics card (should I also disconnect M.2 storage?) - and I am still waiting on a result. I'll update this thread in 8-10 minutes if the LEDs turn off - the problem I'm trying to convey is that the flashing takes a long time.

I'm sorry about the confusion. You can only use the Flashback option. To use the flash BIOS option inside the BIOS the PC needs to post and it won't post because of that Ryzen 5000 CPU. So you absolutely need to use the Flashback BIOS with the button.

You're using the good USB port at the rear right? The one with the white line around the port?

It's ok if the filename was wrong. It won't flash using a file that is not exactly MSI.ROM.

Can you link the page where you're getting the BIOS file? Want to see if it's the good one.

silvertommy1

Reputable
Dec 10, 2016
I'm sorry about the confusion. You can only use the Flashback option. To use the flash BIOS option inside the BIOS the PC needs to post and it won't post because of that Ryzen 5000 CPU. So you absolutely need to use the Flashback BIOS with the button.

You're using the good USB port at the rear right? The one with the white line around the port?

It's ok if the filename was wrong. It won't flash using a file that is not exactly MSI.ROM.

Can you link the page where you're getting the BIOS file? Want to see if it's the good one.
I am using this link: link
I've tried alternating between 7C94v157(the beta) and 7C94v14, with both to no avail.

I am using the USB port with the white line around it.

silvertommy1

Reputable
Dec 10, 2016
And you're sure you do not have the one with WIFI?
I am quite sure. Attached is a photo of my current configuration.
IMG_3184.jpg

silvertommy1

Reputable
Dec 10, 2016
Power off PC and turn off PSU.
Remove CPU, memory and graphics card...it might not be necessary but I found that otherwise it might extend the BIOS update process or even stop it.
Make sure the PSU 24-pin and 8-pin CPU power are connected to the motherboard.
Turn PSU switch to the ON position
Just head to MSI website, download the BIOS for your motherboard, extract the file, and place the BIOS file on a USB flash drive (FAT32). No need to rename the BIOS file.
Plug the USB flash drive to the USB port next to the Flash BIOS Button (black USB port on the back)
Press the Flash Bios Button for 3 seconds and release it.
Within 5 seconds you will see a red blinking LED light, right next to the button. The PSU will power on and you might see some LED lights on the motherboard.
It could take up to 18 minutes for the BIOS update process to end.
Wait for the red blinking LED light to go out then wait 5 minutes and power off the PSU.
Disconnect the USB flash drive.
Install CPU, memory or graphics card
Power on the PSU and turn on the PC.
Be patience, since it could take several minutes for the motherboard to configure hardware and it could power cycle several times.
I've done all these steps, but I can confirm that the BIOS file does need to be called MSI.ROM for flashless to work. - I've waited over 30 minutes with no cpu inserted. The USB port is flashing, and the CPU led debug is on.

I got stuck like that once and I just turned PSU switch to off, remove the CMOS battery and wait 5 minutes before reinstalling it. I try the BIOS flash again on a different USB flash drive and it went thru.

By the way if the process gets interrupted it might make the board not to work again.
I was helping someone that was a bit eager, since the update was taking longer than the 10 minutes mentioned by MSI, he removed the USB flash drive before finishing updating.
The process was stop and we could not get the board to work again.

Reactions: ssbaraskar99
Solution

silvertommy1

Reputable
Dec 10, 2016

I was helping someone that was a bit eager, since the update was taking longer than the 10 minutes mentioned by MSI, he removed the USB flash drive before finishing updating.
The process was stop and we could not get the board to work again.
If I misname the file, the BIOS Flash won't even start - so I know I have to do that much. I'll removing the CMOS battery and starting again when I get home.

Feb 14, 2021
Hey guys, I am also struggling with MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI bios flashing. I do everyting according to both the MSI manual and your advice stated above, but when I push the flash bios button on the back of the board, nothing happens. No LEDs, no PSU activity. As of PSU, I am using Cooler Master MWE GOLD 750 Full Modular. Any ideas? Thanks!

Hey guys, I am also struggling with MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI bios flashing. I do everyting according to both the MSI manual and your advice stated above, but when I push the flash bios button on the back of the board, nothing happens. No LEDs, no PSU activity. As of PSU, I am using Cooler Master MWE GOLD 750 Full Modular. Any ideas? Thanks!
You should start your own thread....so there won't be any confusion about which response applies to you or the original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.