Question Msi motherboard not detecting flash drive with BIOS

mattcitko1999

Honorable
Jul 20, 2018
So I bought a new ram set, going from corsair vengeance pro 3200 16gb to the corsair vengeance pro sl 3600 16gb. Didn't think much of it, shutdown swapped them into the same slots 2 & 4 go to start it and nothing past turning on. The "ez degug" led stayed on what looked to be cpu and wou;dn't go past that. So I go to update the BIOS, the one I had was a 2021 build, downloaded the newest one, go to m-flash, not detected. Tried other usb ports nothing. Redownloaded and extracted again, same thing. Saw that the newest BIOS is a beta so downloaded second to newest, same thing. Tried extracting and only leaving the BIOS file in the root folder without the .txt file same thing no boot. What else can I try? Does boot order matter if going into m-flash? Should it have shown other drives or is it meant to only show the flash drive that you hook up? I just put in the old ones for now and its running fine.

As for the ram itself, I checked on MSI's compatability list and it does show the old ram model:CMW16GX4M2C3200C16 but when I checked the new ram model: CMH32GX4M2D3600C18 its not found. Probably because to get 3600Mhz it needs to run on xmp for ryzen gen 3.

Specs
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI x570 Gaming Plus
2070 Super
Vengeance pro 16gb 3200
Corsair hx1000i psu

Last edited:

mattcitko1999

Honorable
Jul 20, 2018
Are you running it with XMP on? If so try disabling it and see if the system boots.
No even the old ram xmp was off, just manually selected 3200. I checked the bios updates and the one that “improves memory compatibility” was before the one I already have. I’ll try and figure out why it’s not detecting the flash drive.

KingLoki

Upstanding
Jul 10, 2024
It should only show the ,say usb stick etc. with the bios update file.

Try putting the new memory on auto, with no other changes in the bios...what happens?

Earlier post, when you say with the old ram in it's running fine, do you mean the system is running fine?
What about the bios update on usb, does that work with old ram?

mattcitko1999

Honorable
Jul 20, 2018
It should only show the ,say usb stick etc. with the bios update file.

Try putting the new memory on auto, with no other changes in the bios...what happens?

Earlier post, when you say with the old ram in it's running fine, do you mean the system is running fine?
What about the bios update on usb, does that work with old ram?
I cant really put the new ram on auto beacuse with the new ram it won't boot to bios.
When I said its running fine I just meant that with old ram it has no issue and system is runnign fine and its at the selescted 3200. When I tried the update it was with the old ram beacuse that's the only one I could boot with. Maybe I'm exracting the files wrong? Should I have the extracted files in their folder when I move them to the falsh drive?

KingLoki

Upstanding
Jul 10, 2024
Just put the bios file on the stick. Boot into bios with the stick in and select the bios update method, EZ-FLASH, M-FLASH etc. Go to the stick and it should show the bios update file to select.

mattcitko1999

Honorable
Jul 20, 2018
Just put the bios file on the stick. Boot into bios with the stick in and select the bios update method, EZ-FLASH, M-FLASH etc. Go to the stick and it should show the bios update file to select.
Yeah been doing that except that when I go into M-Flash it just shows no media/usb detected. I tried all different usb ports, tried the one that the keboard works inside the bios still nothing. Now I tried enabling xmp and then try putting in the new ram, nothing no boot. The motherboard led still stays on after powering up on "cpu".

Edit: So I started researching more and saw I missed a step regarding the flash drive. It was formatting but it was doing it as a exfat drive type not fat32. Had to delete the volume of the usb drive and create a new volume that’s set to fat32. Updating BIOS right now, ram will be next.

Just tried ram after successful bios update, nothing, the ez-bug led still stays on cpu and doesn't move past. Old ram goes right through to boot. Also check the ram sticks, they seem fine and are a set. Starting to think they might just be bad.

Last edited: