Question MSI RTX 2070 SUPER VERY ODD PROBLEMS

alansavage38

Reputable
Apr 26, 2018
So I have a msi 2070s gaming trio, with issues

I am currently using it and it passes all stress tests in my current setup, but I have tried it in other systems and its does not work, windows will load and then I get a solid colour screen (grey/black/blue etc) and the systems freeze and I have to power down.

Even in this system the card is currently working in, If I change to my other drive with my other windows 10 OS it will do exactly the same regardless which driver I use (always use ddu), I have tried loads of different drivers in about 3 different systems all easily capable of running the card. Have tried 3-4 different win 10 installations on drives I have and 1 with windows 11, same result on all?

There is never anything in event viewer to see that I am aware of, it is not psu related, it can happen with every driver I try. I am at a loss as to identifying what the fault could be.

any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

I have also flashed the bios, initially with the original just in case there was any corruption? then tried about 3 other msi bioses, I have also reduced the core and mem clocks but same results.

Lutfij

Titan
Did you flash the VBIOS for the GPU or the BISO for your motherboard? I'd advise on not doing so, to avoid bricking your GPU. What versions of Windows 10 are you working with? Assuming you're on two boot devices, you shouldn't dual boot off of Windows 10 OSes, just to save you from the headache. As for dual booting with Windows 10 and pairing that with another OS, yes that's fine.

As for your other system, might want to state the specs of both your and the other system. Please list the specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
Chassis:

^ so that should be two sets of specs. Include the age of the PSU for both builds as well. As for your OS installations, where did you source the installer from?

alansavage38

Reputable
Apr 26, 2018
Not being arrogant or rude, I do know my stuff, I am not an expert but have been working on pcs for 15+ years with a background in extreme cooling (ice on cpu block), I am often picking up cards that might need some micro components re-soldered, or other faults resolved (or binned!)

Have flashed hundreds of cards and mobo's, also use CH341a programmer for bricked boards/cards, have unbricked many, only ever bricked a few that I have then successfully reversed. I worked through about 2000 mining cards a couple of years ago so had to flash a few back to stock.

Its not quite dual boot, I have 2 ssds in my system that I then do boot override in bios with, this was only to test the card I normally only have 1 boot drive.

leaning to the the card not liking anything other than a fresh os install for whatever reason.

cannot list system specs at present as will have to look through 3 pcs to identify the parts, but they are ryzen 2600/9400f/9700k systems, psu vary from RM750i-B700H etc all more than capable of running this card.

OS are all official downloads I even have a windows 11 drive which does the same thing.

alansavage38

Reputable
Apr 26, 2018
Issue somewhat resolved, after ddu and removing everything nvidia related from drive and reg on existing windows install, installed driver, screen would solid colour and then go black every 20 or so seconds to return to windows and repeat, changed power to max prefered, issue gone.
also picked up another 2070super yesterday reported as faulty 'no display not recognised in pc' on testing on intel h310 rig no display, tested on 2 amd rigs worked perfectly?