SamuraiMelon

Reputable
Aug 12, 2019
Hi,

I have the MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio, and recently when I've been playing graphically intensive games, e.g. Control, my temperature goes to 70-80 (not unexpected) but the fans stay at like 60%, the big single fan usually on goes up to 50% with the 2 smaller ones to 60%.
The main problem with this is
a) I use DLSS, which heats the GPU hotter to sometimes slightly over 80, and then the GPU throttles DLSS so I get fuzzy textures,
b) I have to increase my case fans to 90-100% (so there's a lot of noise)

When the GPU gets to 75 why does it not increase the fans higher so that the DLSS module doesn't throttle itself?

Thanks

SamuraiMelon

Reputable
Aug 12, 2019
Download MSI Afterburner. With this program you can set a GPU fan curve. So you will be able to tell the GPU to increase fan speed when it goes over 70C.

As far as I'm aware, you're only able to control the 2 smaller fans with MSI Afterburner, the big fan will stay on auto at 60%. I'll still give it a go, cheers.

EDIT//
I've found out that the manual fan curve will control all 3 fans, thank you!

Last edited:

SamuraiMelon

Reputable
Aug 12, 2019
That's a big card with lots of fans. You shouldn't have any problems keeping it cool. How many case fans do you have. How are they configured in the case?

I've got the NZXT H700i case, 1 rear 120mm exhaust, 2 x 140mm top exhaust, 3 x 120mm intake on H150i AIO radiator.

I've always thought perhaps they'll be an issue not in-taking enough air, but I can't set the radiator fans to work off the GPU temp through iCUE as the custom curve only (stupidly) goes up to 60C. Another issue then is if I set them to the GPU and I'm doing something CPU intensive (and not GPU), I won't get the needed airflow through the radiator.

Like I said before, why is the card's fan designed to not increase, even though the DLSS modules are overheating, throttling, causing fuzzy textures?

Thanks

SamuraiMelon

Reputable
Aug 12, 2019
Seemed to help a little. It used to only go up to about 73C, now it can go up to 77C at 90% load with the case side open.
I suppose it is possible that the temperature has always been as is, I just haven't noticed it. I just find it unusual that the DLSS is throttled and the fans aren't running automatically at a high RPM to prevent it.
As if the automatic curve doesn't expect it to be able to reach those temperatures for the RPM it sets i.e. there's something wrong with the card thermally.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Nah, I find the preset fan curves on gpus is inefficient; you're far better off creating your own through Msi Afterburner.

Just to double check that the H150i is operating as intake:
open-grille.png

Sep 19, 2020
Hi,

I’m not sure if we had the same issue, but my card (gaming x trio 2080ti as well) was throttling and having temp issues as well. Apparently it is becoming a more well known issue and there is an issue with thermal paste from heat cycling. Try using a kryonaut, disassembling card, cleaning thermal paste on chip (heat sink,etc), installing new paste and reassemble/test. This will void warranty but has been the fix for my issue and many others around the community. Hope this helps if you haven’t resolved already.

SamuraiMelon

Reputable
Aug 12, 2019

Hi, yeah I suspected it was something to with the thermal paste. The problem is the card is still within warranty, and although I'd say this was a RMA-able thing, (because the paste hasn't lasted the stated 2 years), the retailer refuses to take it because the temperatures are within the operating range of the board (up to 90 C), despite not within the normal operating temp of the gaming x trio that I was used to.

Presumably there's thermal pads, would they need replacing too?