Question MSI RTX 2080 - RPM goes nuts when GPU temp goes over 70 C

Mar 30, 2020
Does anyone have idea why the RPM on my card does that when the temperature goes over 70 degrees Celsius?

MSI Afterburner log stored here: https://we.tl/t-iDEphPpPmN

GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO 8G, 8GB GDDR6
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K
RAM: HyperX Predator 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200
CPU fan: Noctua NH-D14
Additional fans: 6x Noctua NF-P14s redux-900

I tried to limit it through the MSI Afterburner but there is no effect.

When I try to put 100% on the fans, it works, then I lower it back to let's say 40% and it just starts to spin again when it reaches 70 C.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019
Hello, sorry I don't have the solution for this but I also have the exact same problem. My GPU is MSI RTX 2060 GaminZ, whenever it passes 65 degree the fans go crazy and then slows down and then again high RPM. It is really annoying. I also tried to stabilize rpm with msi afterburner but it just kept doing the same. I will probably change the thermal paste and clean the card after one month or something , I just came to my hometown and I can't go back because of the quaratine :(( I hope you will find the solution

Mar 30, 2020
Hello, sorry I don't have the solution for this but I also have the exact same problem. My GPU is MSI RTX 2060 GaminZ, whenever it passes 65 degree the fans go crazy and then slows down and then again high RPM. It is really annoying. I also tried to stabilize rpm with msi afterburner but it just kept doing the same. I will probably change the thermal paste and clean the card after one month or something , I just came to my hometown and I can't go back because of the quaratine :(( I hope you will find the solution

I just tried to install Argus Monitor tool and it works for me however the manual override didnt work but when I tried to set the software controlled then it works fine, temperature is stable between 65-69 C when playing the new COD. I will also try to clean the hw on the weekend.

832ESWH.png

TRENDING THREADS