Question MSI X670E RAM Unstable on Stock Settings

Jul 14, 2024
Hi there. I've been having problems with RAM stability recently on my relatively new build. The system ran well for a couple of months after I put it together but now it usually has trouble booting and does not reach POST.

It almost always displays the red CPU light and yellow RAM light on the motherboard and does not POST.
Occasionally after cycling the power the red light goes out first and then the yellow light goes out. Then the system will POST and I can reach the BIOS screen or operating system.
However, if I boot up the OS, after a couple of minutes the screen goes blank and the yellow RAM light comes on again on the motherboard. If I power on and off at this point the red and yellow motherboard lights stay on and the system will then not boot unless I completely power it off for at least an hour.

When the red and yellow lights are showing, the power button does not always do the same thing. Sometimes it switches the power off immediately, sometimes holding it down for 4-5 seconds switches it off and sometimes, holding it down does not power the system off, and the only way to power off the board is to use the power switch on the back of the PSU.

I have tried both Kingston DIMMs on their own in the number 2 slot, as well together in the number 2 and 4 slots, but this doesn't seem to make any difference.
I tried another RAM DIMM (a cheap Crucial CT8G48C40U5 8GB DDR5) in the number 2 slot and this allowed the system to boot once but it was still unstable and the yellow RAM light came on pretty quickly after booting into the OS. Changing the RAM configuration sometimes seems to allow boot but not reliably.

I have tried the latest BIOS (7E16v171 Beta) as well as the latest non-beta version 7E16v16.

The RAM is running at stock settings (4800MHz, 1.1V) and I'm wondering if the stock voltage is too low, but I haven't found a way to increase it in the BIOS settings when the machine does occasionally boot.

Does anyone have any idea which part(s) might be at fault? I'm considering replacing the motherboard with something simpler like a Gigabyte B650 but I don't want to buy one and then find that the RAM is still faulty or the PSU needs replacing.

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Mobo: MSI X670E Gaming Plus Wifi
BIOS: 7E16v16
RAM: 2*8GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 CL36
PSU: Gigabyte UD750GM 750W 80 PLUS Gold
GPU: Onboard display

Jul 14, 2024
Hi Lutfij, thanks for your reply.

I did clear the CMOS several times although not directly after the BIOS flash as I thought the flash would effectively clear the CMOS anyway. I'm currently running with a single stick of the Kingston RAM on EXPO profile 2 (5600MT, 1.25v) and it's unstable.
Here is a link to the RAM description:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-6000MT-Desktop-Gaming-Memory/dp/B0BRTJFFBW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_mod_primary_new?crid=2T0WK78DVXQ1W&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.w_0UliAhiN6w4EWoGEgghkB5qca7H4LbvKBo0MwPHQMd-TKLlN03KFVBzPt7Kfr7-bJldjSS81-yrQlIrkGYVRPJXI4XMeFt8J8XBCe4DhBCZqbGr58oQbfaJj8mChRib4k_CYH31gSKm3-rt-IY2-yrYY8-EhCFdAhy5jxFdo9qv2hnq_is15tNyZTnHAGpS-PqbN2ZelQzeZ-XHSjwHA.OCi_X890tBqloK_Bs5nLoln-_l2j992tvJ0w3Antjro&dib_tag=se&keywords=Kingston+FURY+Beast+Black+EXPO+DDR5+16+GB+(2x8+GB)+6000MT/s+DDR5+CL36+DIMM+Desktop+Gaming+Memory+Kit+of+2+-+KF560C36BBEK2-16&qid=1721063278&sbo=RZvfv//HxDF+O5021pAnSA==&sprefix=kingston+fury+beast+black+expo+ddr5+16+gb+2x8+gb+6000mt/s+ddr5+cl36+dimm+desktop+gaming+memory+kit+of+2+-+kf560c36bbek2-16+,aps,137&sr=8-1

Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Do you have a link to the ram you're working with? Did you clear the CMOS after verifying your BIOS was flashed to the latest version? You should see if enabling X.M.P/E.X.P.O helps alleviate the issue.

Last edited: