[SOLVED] MSI Z690 Carbon WiFi - Can't install wifi drivers

Sep 5, 2022
So I recently started a new PC build, with an intel i9 12th gen processor, an MSI Z690 Carbon Wifi motherboard, and Windows 10 x64 Home edition. Everything went fine with the physical assembly. The motherboard comes with a convenient USB drive which has all the drivers. Ran the driver installation tool. All the drivers installed successuflly, except the Intel ethernet and wifi drivers.

I manually navigated to the driver's locations within the USB drive, found the drivers, attempted to install, but received an error message stating that I needed a Windows version of 10.0.17763.0 or newer. Well I can't update Windows without the internet, and I can't get the internet without the Wifi working, so I'm essentially stuck. I searched for older versions of the drivers on both the MSI website and the Intel website. Even the older version of these drivers require a higher version of Windows 10. I'm not sure what the oldest available version of these drivers are, but I can't find any that will install on this new PC.

I navigated to the device manager and attempted to manually installed. This actually worked and I was able to connect to my home wifi for about 5 minutes before I hit a blue screen of death. The stop code "SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED", with the "what failed" as the intel chip "netwtw10.sys". Tried to boot in safe mode and uninstall the driver, but I couldn't get the BSOD to stop, so I reinstalled Windows 10.

I attempted to install Windows 11, thinking that maybe a base version of Windows 11 would start off with a version necessary to install the intel drivers. The installation of Windows 11 doesn't get very far, as it will BSOD during the installation for the same issue of the intel driver install.

So I tried to see if I could do an offline update of windows. After doing some google-fu I came across the WSUS offline installer tool. I downloaded that on another PC, built a client folder, copied onto the new PC, and ran it. Everything appeared to run fine with no errors, but it doesn't appear to have changed my Windows version at all. I checked the list of installed updates and only found one listed. I manually ran the other ones found in the folder, but only a few out of about 10 would actually run and install.

So essentially my fresh install of Windows isn't a high enough version to install the intel ethernet/wifi drivers. Unable to find any old enough to install on the PC. Unable to update Windows without internet, and using the offline WSUS tool didn't seem to work. Can't install Windows 11, Older driver versions from Intel and MSI just give the same issue, and I'm unable to find any older versions from anywhere else. Tried to use another Wireless adapter, but I can't seem to get that installed either. I'm honestly out of ideas and not really sure what to try next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So I recently started a new PC build, with an intel i9 12th gen processor, an MSI Z690 Carbon Wifi motherboard, and Windows 10 x64 Home edition. Everything went fine with the physical assembly. The motherboard comes with a convenient USB drive which has all the drivers. Ran the driver installation tool. All the drivers installed successuflly, except the Intel ethernet and wifi drivers.

I manually navigated to the driver's locations within the USB drive, found the drivers, attempted to install, but received an error message stating that I needed a Windows version of 10.0.17763.0 or newer. Well I can't update Windows without the internet, and I can't get the internet without the Wifi working, so I'm essentially stuck. I searched for older versions of the drivers on both the MSI website and the Intel website. Even the older version of these drivers require a higher version of Windows 10. I'm not sure what the oldest available version of these drivers are, but I can't find any that will install on this new PC.

I navigated to the device manager and attempted to manually installed. This actually worked and I was able to connect to my home wifi for about 5 minutes before I hit a blue screen of death. The stop code "SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED", with the "what failed" as the intel chip "netwtw10.sys". Tried to boot in safe mode and uninstall the driver, but I couldn't get the BSOD to stop, so I reinstalled Windows 10.

I attempted to install Windows 11, thinking that maybe a base version of Windows 11 would start off with a version necessary to install the intel drivers. The installation of Windows 11 doesn't get very far, as it will BSOD during the installation for the same issue of the intel driver install.

So I tried to see if I could do an offline update of windows. After doing some google-fu I came across the WSUS offline installer tool. I downloaded that on another PC, built a client folder, copied onto the new PC, and ran it. Everything appeared to run fine with no errors, but it doesn't appear to have changed my Windows version at all. I checked the list of installed updates and only found one listed. I manually ran the other ones found in the folder, but only a few out of about 10 would actually run and install.

So essentially my fresh install of Windows isn't a high enough version to install the intel ethernet/wifi drivers. Unable to find any old enough to install on the PC. Unable to update Windows without internet, and using the offline WSUS tool didn't seem to work. Can't install Windows 11, Older driver versions from Intel and MSI just give the same issue, and I'm unable to find any older versions from anywhere else. Tried to use another Wireless adapter, but I can't seem to get that installed either. I'm honestly out of ideas and not really sure what to try next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Is there any way you can access an ethernet wired connection?