Mtron SSD 32 GB: Sweeping Performance with a Catch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

odie3

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
brundlefly76,

At my office we would like to get our hands one one (or two) of these drives to see if it will also help a road block on some of our MS SQL 2005 Queries - where did you order the drive (hopefully you are in the US).

Thanks (for anyone that may be able to give a US retailer information).

odie3

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006

Darn, someone posted already this information... completely missed it.

jketzetera

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007

Was it determined that the drive failures were due to memory cells being worn out by repetative re-writes or could there have been other issues at play i.e. faulty controller chips that finally cringed under the heave use patterns?

In the case of the third drive that failed within six days, it would imply that the MTRON 32GB drive would handle approx 14 complete re-writes before failing (assuming even spatial continous re-writes) which seems very low. Also, for the drives failing within 7 weeks it would imply a re-writeability factor of approx 100. While this is a gross simplification it still seems odd as NAND chips themselves should have standalone re-writeability that is much higher than that.

Did you ever get an technical explanation to the drive failures from your supplier/MTRON?

$725 is just way too much money. You can build a top end gaming machine with raptors in RAID0 for that money.

SSD's won't be worth buying until you can get a 128GB drive for less than $150.

enovikoff

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
We also installed two 64GB Mtron 3.5" 7000 series units - the enterprise grade ones - in lightly used servers. One failed after 3 months, the other after 4. The failures are random, and resetting the drive seems to bring it back to life for a few weeks, so it's not a memory chip rewrite problem, but a design problem with the drive. Unfortunately, to get a RMA, you have to send it back to Korea, or to your reseller - and my reseller, Neo-Geo, doesn't even answer the phone when I call for service (they do take more orders though!)

enovikoff

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
An update on my SSD saga:

When I tried to use the 5-year MTRON warrantee, I discovered that it involved taking the units out of service, sending them to Korea, where MTRON would then decide if they needed replacement, and then waiting for them to return them - all the while with no SSD drives in my virtualization controller.

Instead I RMAed them to my vendor, NeoStore, which acknowledged their receipt last June 2009 and then I never heard from them again. Nearly $2000 worth of flash drives gone, with no refund or repaired units, and NeoStore not answering the phone or emails.

Avoid MTRON and NeoStore, and read your warrantees carefully because what exactly the manufacturer will do for you is as important as the length of the warrantee.