Question Muffled sound on BOSE QC45 only on wired connection on Windows 11 PC ?

Passels

Honorable
Jan 9, 2017
Hope this is the right place to post this, wasn't sure between this and computer peripherals.

My QC45s work completely fine on bluetooth and on a wired connection to other devices, but on my Windows 11 PC they are behaving very strangley with a wired connection (the PC doesn't have bluetooth).

I have tried connecting different headphones to the PC and they work fine. I have tried both headphone jacks and the issue persists. I have also tried two different cables, same problem.

The issue is sound is generally coming through muffled, but some sounds more than others. When I play music, the instrumentals are slightly off, but the vocals are quiet, almost completely inaudible. They sound almost echoey, as if the singer were standing far away from the microphone in a large room.

This made me suspect either something is wrong with the mixer settings or I've somehow got surround sound on.

I checked the equaliser settings in Realtek Audio Console, they all seem to be at defaults, changing them doesnt affect the issue.

I went through to "more sound settings," to configure my headphones as stereo. It seems like they already were, but I configured them as stereo anyway, nothing changed.

This is the particularly strange part though, at least to me. I tried fiddling with the left and right audio channels, and rather than affecting the volume in the left or right ear, decreasing either channel reduced the muffling, such that putting one channel at 0 makes them sound almost completely normal, although stil slightly weird.

This isn't exactly a perfect solution though because althoug the sound is basically fixed and the same in each ear, all sound coming from whichever channel I have turned off is lost. If I use a stereo sound test video on youtube, both ears make the same sound when one channel is tested, and neither make any sound when the other is tested.

I will be extremely thankful if anybody can work out what might be going on here, this issue has me baffled.

Edit: I forgot to mention I have also tried turning off audio enhancements and made sure spatial sound is off. I've also tried turning the sound to Mono, when I do this it sounds a little better, but when I go to put the Left and Right channels back to normal, all sound is completely muted if I put both sides to the same volume. With one side turned off this sounds a little better than stereo, and for some reason both sides still make sound.

Edit 2: I've made a new discovery, the left right sound issue goes away completely if I unplug the cable just a tiny bit, but I get a horrible high pitched buzzing sound, quiet, but loud enough to not be an acceptable solution.

I tried doing this with the other cable, the one form the manufacturer, but with this cable the problem seems to be completely fixed. It definitely was not working before. The first, longer cable creates the same issue when I plug it back in, but plugging the manufacturer's cable in makes the issue go away again. Both cables were working yesterday. This has only confused me more.

Edit 3: Now the same behaviour seems to be happening with both cables, with the problem being resolved by unplugging the cable just a little bit. A better solution would be great if it exists.

Edit 4: It looks like slightly unplugging the headphones is only masking the issue. If I listen to a stereo test, the sound only works when one channel is playing and not the other, so I guess by unpluggin it a little I am getting just one channel but for some reason it is still playing on both ears.

Last edited:

Passels

Honorable
Jan 9, 2017
Are headphones on?

link

They active headphones, need power to sound good. Mine are the same (I don't have Bose, just active headphones). Your Battery lasts twice as long on wired.
Yeah same thing happens with headphones switched on or off. Quality is definitely worse switched off but the weirder side of the problem persists.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you tried using those headphones wired on another PC?

I have tried connecting different headphones to the PC and they work fine.
until you know the QC45 work wired on other PC, that would seem to indicate the problem is them, and not the pc

Are you using the Bose music app?
You need to download the Bose Music app or something like Wavelet. The standard sound is very poor and muffled. Same for the NC 700.
link

One suggestion I found was change the settings in the EQ
fnjgxCn.jpg

I don't know if you can alter the sound signature like that just for one mode. It might apply whether its wired or not.

Damaged cables can also be cause of muffled noises on the QC45.
Edit: It turned out that the wire was damaged and that what caused the poor sound quality and muffled sound on the left side. Now both sides work fine and the sound is much better.
link
also possible its the connection itself since you been playing with having cable half in.

Latest posts