Multimonitor/Multi GPU questions

mega maniac

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
Hello all, first post on these forums, although I have been here many times after asking google a question, so a hello to you all :hello: . Would consider myself a fairly advanced PC builder, been doing it as a personal hobby for over 8 years now.

However I've never needed to solve my current problem and was hoping I could find the answer here.

I am currently in the process of turning my gaming machine/part-time workstation into the opposite - a part time gaming machine/full time work-station. This means adding in a nice new IPS display, upgrading the CPU and RAM and ridding myself of my current SLI setup (mobo also broke down and replacement was intel chipset, forcing my hand on the SLI setup). The graphics is where my question lies.

I understand that you can run a monitor from each output of just about any combination of cards. But what I don't fully understand is how applications/games choose to use those graphics cards. If I have a Quadro installed in on slot and an gaming card in the other can I tell my system to game with the gaming card and work with the Quadro?

I really play very few games now and my current thinking is that I will simply install the quadro card and use one of the cards from my SLI setup to run any monitor overflow, but if I can have 2 cards, one for each purpose, this may be the best route to follow.

Thanks in advance

MM

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
I understand that you can run a monitor from each output of just about any combination of cards. But what I don't fully understand is how applications/games choose to use those graphics cards. If I have a Quadro installed in on slot and an gaming card in the other can I tell my system to game with the gaming card and work with the Quadro?

i think theres an option for that in the nV control panel, look under app profiles and select which adapter you want to use for an specific app.