Multiple BSOD Need Help Please.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Hello my name is Jason and this is my first post here hoping to get my problems fixed. I would like to consider myself pretty PC savoy but, this is boggling me beyond no end. I can't fix it. I have done tons of diagnosing/attempted fixing but to no avail. Now to the problems...

Keep in mind this is after a fresh install of XP MCE SP3

Multiple BSOD.
multiple files referred to as the problematic/corrupted file in seperate BSOD.
Restart computer after BSOD and I receive "windows has recovered from a serious system error".

I have done almost everything i could think of (memtest, registry mechanic, system defrag, made sure all drivers are up to date, fixed all "unknown devices", virus scans, switched HD's thinking it might have been bad sectors, switched from AGP to PCI video and back to AGP because of a particular file issue, etc.)

What I am willing to do to try to resolve this issue:
Anything..... I have reformatted my HD and reinstalled the OS and still getting the same problems. I have no money to try to get new hardware. If you think you can help please post a few things you would like me to do. I have a current fresh minidump if that helps just need to know how to attach it because i did not see a place to attach files at.

I have read a few things from here where peoples problems have been solved. I hope i have one of those stories to tell how the people here have fixed my problem. Thank you for reading and I'm looking forward to hearing from someone soon.

Jason

Edit:
Forgot the system specs lol.
Asus p5p800
Intel 3.0Ghz not sure of the make could find out if needed
Nvidia 6800 AGP
2 Gb 2X1Gb PQI RAM
Marvell onboard 10/100/1000 Ethernet
Soundmax(pretty sure without looking) Onboard Sound
Maxtor SATA 200Gb OS drive
Maxtor SATA 160Gb Storage drive
Western Digital PATA 320Gb Storage Drive
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Media Center Edition SP 3 fully updated through Microsoft

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
What aford10 said ^^^^^^ <grin> You could also try out your wife's video card in your system too. More graphic intensive programs like CoD4 will certainly stress your computer more than say Word or Soltaire for certain. I know your caps will ultimately bring down your system, but you might get a year or more yet. Like I said before, I've seen a barely swollen cap cause problems and I've seen badly leaking caps on what seems like a correctly functioning system (though usually there is something not working but its not being called upon).

Won't hurt to check out the video card though, it certainly isn't outside the possible for you to be suffering from more than one issue either.

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
digitalprospecter, i was getting the same notion about having more than 1 problem but finding the first problem has seemed to be eluding us. lol.

aford10 thank you for the link downloaded and going to run it overnight so i can get a good test on it to make sure everything is good to go.

and about the wifes video card.... i do not have a pci-e slot.

I now feel really stupid for tossing the old dell that my wife used to have. the reason behind getting rid of it was the fact it needed a good sandblasting to get rid of all the dust and dirt caked onto everything. I opened it up and asked her where her cpu and heatsink was it was so bad. keep in mind she had that computer for about 4 years before she met me and we moved in with each other. i just put the side panel back on and said well it still works.... i guess.

will update about the VMT test tomorrow.

Jason

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
well the video ram test finished 1 pass...... here is the copy and paste......

[4/13/2010 12:23:39 PM] Pass completed (8582641664 errors found).

With the 3 different devices being primary device driver, nvidia 6800, nvidia 6800 they all got massive errors like this from the start. The video ram would be an explanation to why it only happens during video intensive type programs and not others and not while the system is idle. and in case you guys didnt feel like counting that... 8 BILLION errors.... wow think my card has seen its day. unless maybe i did something wrong? ill type out the settings i had checked so on and so forth:

continuous test log errors was unchecked due to massive amount of errors file log
Test options
test type directx test set full
devcice nvidia 6800 ignore colors bit mask
surfaces size 512X512 and onscreen buffer was not checked

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
8 Billion errors isn't very many, I wouldn't give up on the video card just yet.....NOT!
Heck, you have enough errors to give away one to everyone in the world, and you'd still be left with too many!

Seriously though, I think you have found at least one source of your problems. Have you tried reseating the card and making sure there is no dust buildup in the slot? Might save a few dollars before chucking the card as far as you can.

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
well i do have a pci slot card i can try.... sad part is before i got this machine it was a good card.... i wish i could get ahold of the persons neck...... ok not the right forum for that lol. my compressed can of air is currently packed in a box somewhere so ill find that and blow out the slot and if i still get any errors i will swap out cards and test. my next post should be tomorrow. at least i can play online poker right?? lol

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
UPDATE:
I know an update already but its the truth I swear. Went looking throughmy box of pc spare parts. Stuff that has been given to me by various people said to all be working in complete functional order. so what i found was an AGP nvidia geforce FX550 with NO gpu fan. BUT WAIT theres more. i also found a nvidia geforce FX5500 pci slot card as well WITH gpu fan. my next question is how do i safely clean the thermal compound off the gpu so i can get a fresh paste on there with a clean surface.

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
UPDATE 2:
PCI FX5500 card installed smoothly it messed with my default plug and play monitor driver but i went and searched the net for the driver through the new hardware installation screen. so hopefully it doesnt give me any problems. but the pci card is installed and awaiting testing tonight once i go to bed.

MINOR UPDATE:
Did just an initial test of the card up to the point where my 6800 had about 1M errors and i didnt get a single one so i let it run a little more and nothing so i will run the extensive test later tonight but looks good so far but it hasnt really been TESTED TESTED yet. But im hopeful :D

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I have always carefully used a lint-free cloth (like you clean eye glasses with) dampened with Isopropyl Alcohol. Just make sure you wait long enough after cleaning that the Isopropyl Alcohol totally evaporates.

Good news on finding replacement cards!

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
OK i wont use fingernail polish remover. i dont think ill have to transfer fans anyways. because i think i got some good news. not a best answer yet but good news. it seems like my BSOD have normalized to a single error instead of multiple errors across the board. I think it was in part due to that faulty card. Since my wife isnt going to get on my computer tonight i will start this vid ram test now and see how quick the test takes to get done. ill let it run 1 pass just like the other and give you guys a report back.

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
OK the first scan just got done about 5 minutes ago and not a single error with the ram on this card. It is a slight downgrade but usable so im not complaining. it will get me by until i can buy a new one with my new computer. So now onto the error that popped up twice in a row doing the same thing and more than likely in the same spot as well but maybe not might have been a hardware stress issue not exactly sure. But the BSOD went like this:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP: 0xA (0xEB0001B7, 0x2, 0x1, 0x804E7F4A)

thats the tech stuff you really need to know its all the same. What i was doing at the time for this same error to occur tweice in a row. I was extracting CoD4 from an archive getting ready to install it i walk away during extraction and i get the BSOD. i restart and try again (stupid me) walk away again thinking it was a fluke come back to a BSOD. i use winRAR 3.7 beta2. nothing else was running in the background i havent installed my AVG so i could rule that out as a possible issue for anything and have kept websurfing to a minimum and sites to known safe sites.

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
well i dont think it is a problem with that program because i then tried to transfer the folder over my network from my wifes computer and i got another BSOD. i was too ticked to even write anything down i just shut the thing off and decided the message will show up sometime soon anyways. im about to say forget it but it feels so close to a possible resolution getting very frustrated.

mattm89

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
It may be a long shot, but all the errors I have went away when I changed the memory from the first two matching slots, to the next two, even though my ASUS book said to do it the other way. Does your motherboard have multiple slots you can try?

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Microsoft Knowledge base focuses upon either Windows corruption and/or memory problems in pageable memory for the 0X0000000A Stop error. Your Windows install might have been corrupted from the previous BSOD to getting this far in the troubleshooting process. Viscious circle sometimes.

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
alright guys im going to put my frustration to the side and see about getting this fixed you guys have been alot of help so far and i just dont want to say"thanks but no thanks" going to start this repair install according the the above post will post back after it is complete. going to try to do an extraction of the previous archive. trying to get with what gave me errors. ill post back in a few.

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
OK i decided to go ahead and reinstall everything. obviously i couldnt install anything i wanted anyways so since i found out i had a bad video card might as well start fresh with the other that didnt have any errors. and so far so good. i will keep you guys informed. but its looking good so far. the reason i decided with a fresh install is because the repair was giving me io system errors. so i am thinking all those BSODs messed the system up bad. better to be safe with a fresh install.