Multiple BSOD Need Help Please.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Hello my name is Jason and this is my first post here hoping to get my problems fixed. I would like to consider myself pretty PC savoy but, this is boggling me beyond no end. I can't fix it. I have done tons of diagnosing/attempted fixing but to no avail. Now to the problems...

Keep in mind this is after a fresh install of XP MCE SP3

Multiple BSOD.
multiple files referred to as the problematic/corrupted file in seperate BSOD.
Restart computer after BSOD and I receive "windows has recovered from a serious system error".

I have done almost everything i could think of (memtest, registry mechanic, system defrag, made sure all drivers are up to date, fixed all "unknown devices", virus scans, switched HD's thinking it might have been bad sectors, switched from AGP to PCI video and back to AGP because of a particular file issue, etc.)

What I am willing to do to try to resolve this issue:
Anything..... I have reformatted my HD and reinstalled the OS and still getting the same problems. I have no money to try to get new hardware. If you think you can help please post a few things you would like me to do. I have a current fresh minidump if that helps just need to know how to attach it because i did not see a place to attach files at.

I have read a few things from here where peoples problems have been solved. I hope i have one of those stories to tell how the people here have fixed my problem. Thank you for reading and I'm looking forward to hearing from someone soon.

Jason

Edit:
Forgot the system specs lol.
Asus p5p800
Intel 3.0Ghz not sure of the make could find out if needed
Nvidia 6800 AGP
2 Gb 2X1Gb PQI RAM
Marvell onboard 10/100/1000 Ethernet
Soundmax(pretty sure without looking) Onboard Sound
Maxtor SATA 200Gb OS drive
Maxtor SATA 160Gb Storage drive
Western Digital PATA 320Gb Storage Drive
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Media Center Edition SP 3 fully updated through Microsoft

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
OK as you can see i selected the video ram tester the best answer. i believe my issue is solved. I wish i could give the best answer to both of you. Both of you guys have been VERY helpful. I just got done extracting and installing CoD4 making me think all the errors i was getting from the video card was messing everything up in my system. Thank you for taking time out of your guys days to help me find and giving me a few diagnosing techniques i didnt know about. Not sure about making this a sticky but it helps with a bunch of diagnosing issues. I have no problem with you guys linking to this post so you dont have to go through the long process of telling someone exactly what you told me. Might make thing s a little bit faster in the future. Again thank you for your time.

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
well guys i have some bad news..... the problem is still there but only after the computer had been on for a few hours. gave everything a chance to heat up to operating temps. i am going to boil this down to a bad mobo. thats really the only other thing it could be after a fresh install of the os.we already got rid of the faulty vid card tested every ram chip. is there anything missing hardware wise other than testing each and every piece of the mobo and thats too tedious i would rather light my hair on fire.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I think that trying a new power supply is next on the to-do list (if you can get ahold of one cheap).

After taking a deep breath at this point (I know it is disappointing, but you have made alot of progress) why don't you take the power supply out and open it up to see if there are any bad caps in it as well. It is very simple to take the cover off (and to put it back on), just do not physically touch anything in it as you may get a bad shock (even when unplugged from the AC power).

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I will check the power supply tomorrow. The wife said she is getting the computer....... so yeah she is gonig to get the computer because every man knows not to force a woman to become scorned. it gives me time to do that. i will be sure to give it a thorough look over and cleaning as well since i have the thing open. would be REALLY nice if all it needed was a good cleaning. best case scenario there.

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
ok i have cleaned out the PS. it didnt really look that dirty. i didnt see any bad caps or possible leakage from the caps. overall looked like a good power supply. but without testing equipment i couldnt test the thing properly. going to try playing cod2 because i did get it installed and i actually played it a little bit before i got the BSOD. oh and before i plugged the cables back in i blew out all the sockets making sure everything had good connections as well. so right now the only programs i have installed on this computer are call of duty 2 and winrar. aside from programs installed from installing drivers (keyboard zengine, sound card, etc.) and then updated completely. since it is a fresh install and only 2 programs both legal not cracked or hacked there shouldnt be any software related issues. am i correct in saying that? the OS was installed from the microsoft disk, not a back up burned copy, original disk. so i am guessing at this point we cna start with the hardware.

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
OK guys i finally found a boot disk that took me just to the A: prompt. to rule out an out of date bios i just flashed it successfully and it is currently up to date according to the asus website for my MB. because a few places i read that bios being out of date could pose some of my problems with certain windows updates. so i will give this a run and see what happens.

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Agreed or im going to at least use this to as a trouble shooting guide lol. Well the bios update didnt get rid of the problem. But at least my bios is up to date now. I honestly dont know what else it could be guys. Im going to hunt around in my box of computer parts and see if i can find the cmos battery i think i threw in there. And maybe that might just solve my problems. At least i THINK i threw it in my box of stuff. Of course will post back with results.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Hi Jason,

Is the computer only bluescreening in COD2 now? If so, have you tried installing the patches for the game yet? When I search google for BSOD and COD2, I see alot of complaints of BSOD, and some people are referring to a released patch.

Cheers!

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
i have the game patched but it is doing it all over the place still. me and my wife have been sharing her computer for the timebeing and im going to be waiting for our school checks to get here and buy brand new computers for us both. we have been pretty much using this machine for email checking and such. since it isnt worth much of anything anymore.