Multiple BSOD Need Help Please.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Hello my name is Jason and this is my first post here hoping to get my problems fixed. I would like to consider myself pretty PC savoy but, this is boggling me beyond no end. I can't fix it. I have done tons of diagnosing/attempted fixing but to no avail. Now to the problems...

Keep in mind this is after a fresh install of XP MCE SP3

Multiple BSOD.
multiple files referred to as the problematic/corrupted file in seperate BSOD.
Restart computer after BSOD and I receive "windows has recovered from a serious system error".

I have done almost everything i could think of (memtest, registry mechanic, system defrag, made sure all drivers are up to date, fixed all "unknown devices", virus scans, switched HD's thinking it might have been bad sectors, switched from AGP to PCI video and back to AGP because of a particular file issue, etc.)

What I am willing to do to try to resolve this issue:
Anything..... I have reformatted my HD and reinstalled the OS and still getting the same problems. I have no money to try to get new hardware. If you think you can help please post a few things you would like me to do. I have a current fresh minidump if that helps just need to know how to attach it because i did not see a place to attach files at.

I have read a few things from here where peoples problems have been solved. I hope i have one of those stories to tell how the people here have fixed my problem. Thank you for reading and I'm looking forward to hearing from someone soon.

Jason

Edit:
Forgot the system specs lol.
Asus p5p800
Intel 3.0Ghz not sure of the make could find out if needed
Nvidia 6800 AGP
2 Gb 2X1Gb PQI RAM
Marvell onboard 10/100/1000 Ethernet
Soundmax(pretty sure without looking) Onboard Sound
Maxtor SATA 200Gb OS drive
Maxtor SATA 160Gb Storage drive
Western Digital PATA 320Gb Storage Drive
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Media Center Edition SP 3 fully updated through Microsoft

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
just to be completely off subject here for a second i want to thank you both digitalprospect and aford10 for helping me diagnose this. It is nice to know there are still people in this world that care about other people and willing to help just because they need it. Thank you to you both.

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
yep and it was just something i tried(see was trying everything lol) but to give some info about the first stick of the paired ones. I am going to list the information given on the memtest screen. sounds kind of off to me according to the manufacturers specs. ill explain the pentium part in a bit.

Pentium 4 (0.09) 3300 Mhz
L1 Cache: 16k 21567Mb/s
L2 Cache: 2048k 17459Mb/s
L3 Cache: None
Memory: 1023M 1150 Mb/s
Chipset: Intel i848/i865 (ECC: Disabled) - FSB: 220 Mhz - PAT: Disabled
Settings: RAM: 146 Mhz (DDR 293) / CAS: 3-4-4-8 / Single Channel (64 bits)

Figure you guys would know this but the reason it says single channel is because i only have the one stick in there.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Pages 33 thru 38 deal with the memory modules. It's interesting that they felt the need to include a 'Qualified Vendors' list of compatible memory. PQI is not on the list, but that does not necessarily mean it won't work.

You mentioned earlier that you bought the computer off ebay. Was there a period of time that you owned it that it worked, or is this right from purchase? I ask just because I'm wondering if the RAM is known to have worked properly at all, or did someone sell you a unit that they didn't necessarily ever use.

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
the computer was bought from ebay and with every computer i get i wipe and reinstall the OS was running much better than the one i had previously actually flawless no errors no problems installing anything. then one day i got a BSOD... "ok that was wierd" goes maybe another month then i get another goes for a few more weeks then another and so on and so forth until it seems like i cant do anything with it anymore. please keep in mind the video card (AGP) and the dual channel ram was transferred over from my other machine and when they were installed never an issue with them. the reason why i bought PQI is because of the quality of their products. and from the looks of things when i got the package it had everything besides a monitor the trackball looked well used and the keyboard had a few usuage marks on it. im guessing it was used quite frequently. and then when i get it and install the fresh OS i install my games and i get to gaming. so it has had ALOT of usuage by me alone. Im a HEAVY gamer. (so much my wife gets mad at me sometimes lol. and fuming because im using her computer to keep up with these forums. she wants my computers fixed so she can get hers back lol.) and BTW i did have all 3 memory modules installed and running flawlessly for about 6 months. the video card and ram from said machine was pitched (reason being the ram wasnt compatible speed wise with what i had and the video card was for video editing purposes and couldnt hold up to my gaming graphicswise).

I would let it go for at least 6 passes.

Your single RAM chip doesn't have the same specs as the paired kit. The voltages are slightly different, and I would bet the timings are as well. It shouldn't make much difference, since they have been running together for some time. If we can figure this out, it may be a good idea to run CPUZ, and check the memory settings. If they are off, you can configure them manually in the BIOS.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Jason,

Something to try after the memtests complete. Do you have another power supply on hand that you can try in this computer. One of your previous posts made me think you have a P4 kicking around. It might have the proper connectors to use as a test. I still think this is going to turn out to be power related, either due to bad caps or a faulty P/S just by your description of how the problem progressed. I'll believe it even more strongly when and if that second chip passes memtest. You might even be able to score a good used power supply from your local computer shop for a steal.

Another obscure cure for a computer that was bluescreening happened to me about five years ago. Believe it or not, changing the CMOS Battery solved the blue screen. I would never have found it except I had taken out the battery to clear the CMOS and had misplaced their battery by the time I came back to the computer. So I used a new battery and the problem was solved. Cleaning up my work area, I found their orginal battery, so I put it back in. Low and behold the bluescreen was back. New battery... no problem. One of those fixes I would never have thought to try in a million years.

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
UPDATE:
All sticks have finished and the off stick went through 24 passes without problems. So im pretty sure it is nt a ram issue lol. I got in touch with my friend and he does not have an extra PS or CMOS battery. And i was looking at the information on the memtest screen for the off stick and it said the timings were 3-4-4-8 same as the paired sticks. seemed like everything was the same except it doesnt have the heat spreader. It is too late for me to call a computer shop here. But there is one that i went to and they gave me a free dell box when i was trying to piece together a different computer so i will see if they have some PS's that they are planning on trashing just because and see if i can snag one.

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
When Monday hits I should have plenty of time to call around to a few computer shops around here. If anything just gank my wifes PS to take a test lol. She will hate me but its ok. I dont think stealing a PS is worth divorcing right?? lol

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
OK guys i am about to boggle your brains about this pc. My wife asked me if she could install the full tilt poker program. i said sure its a POS anyways. this occured at 9 PM tonight and she has been playing without any errors on startup or anything. only thing is this does NOT mean the problem is fixed. So now i need some ideas why that particular program will run just fine but NOTHING else will not even google chrome for just an hour or so.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
You have to hate when computers throw you a twist! <grin>
Ok...so Full Tilt Poker is not that demanding of a program. She may have gotten lucky... if it is bad caps, the problem gets worst as the unit heats up, so errors are less likely to occur under light load and early on when the computer is first started.

Something I don't think we covered yet though... we tested your system RAM, but the video card would also have its own RAM memory so could also produce BSOD memory errors. Full tilt poker may not be addressing all the card's memory. Your motherboard specs suggested that you also have integrated video built into the motherboard. Try taking your Nvidia card out and using the on-board video to see what happens.

jason_bauman146318

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
This board does not have an on board video adapter. And you made mention about bad caps and heating up. Installing something like CoD4 would be considered stressful on the system correct? The reason i bring that up because it seemed like i can always guarantee a BSOD when installing more system intensive programs (etc. games). And before when my wife was messing with my computer because i stole hers, she played on a program called IMVU. i guess it is an avatar based chat client and she was getting the errors there as well. So my question is there a way to check the video ram of a nvidia geforce 6800?