[SOLVED] Multiple Statip (public) configuration

Oct 31, 2019
Hi everyone, newbie here.

OK so I have a FTTC connection. I have purchased 4 static IP addresses from my ISP. So far so good. They did not give me any Subnet or DNS information, which I would assume is quite important. Also they offer the service but have no knowledge of configuration and no support for it either.
Had I known this at the time I would have chosen a different provider.

I need to know how to configure my router to allow the traffic through and reach the relevant destination.
I also need to know IF I will need to configure NAT Loopback in order to see / access the devices with the static IP's

I have had with a previous provider static IP addresses and they were helpful in getting things set up. That was over 6 years ago though and I've forgotten just about all of it.

Is there anybody on here taht is able to help me get everything set up and running please?

Thanks in advance. Dr G.

Solution
All depend on how they do their static IP. Try to first just plug your router in and see if they give you a IP via dhcp. You should get the subnet mask and gateway...well we can hope. You should then in theory be able to use your assigned IP as statics. This is done very different by most ISP. Used to be you would be a IP on your wan and then they would route a a subnet block to that wan address. This tends to only be done on very large commercial accounts now days.

In any case unless you want to put 4 devices directly behind the fiber connection with a switch you are going to have to use the loopback nat trick. Since you know about this trick you are far ahead of most people asking this and I assume have a actual...
You said you have four IP addresses. Are they sequential?
There're several options, but I'd say you have only two usable addresses, thus you have /30 network.
Someone at your ISP should be able to tell you the exact details, moreover these details must be configured on their side as well, in order for these IP addresses to be reachable.

All depend on how they do their static IP. Try to first just plug your router in and see if they give you a IP via dhcp. You should get the subnet mask and gateway...well we can hope. You should then in theory be able to use your assigned IP as statics. This is done very different by most ISP. Used to be you would be a IP on your wan and then they would route a a subnet block to that wan address. This tends to only be done on very large commercial accounts now days.

In any case unless you want to put 4 devices directly behind the fiber connection with a switch you are going to have to use the loopback nat trick. Since you know about this trick you are far ahead of most people asking this and I assume have a actual router since consumer routers have little to no ability have multiple IP.

Solution
Oct 31, 2019
Hi all. Thanks for the replies and apologies for not responding sooner.

So I have done a little digging and have the following information:

IPv4 status: Connected

WAN IP Address: 79.xx.xx.105

Primary DNS Server: 79.xx.xx.77

Secondary DNS Server:79.xx.xx.78

PPPoE AC-Name:nge001.she-re0

So really I can use this info to configure my servers just bye changing the last IP block for the assigned ones. Incidentally 105 is one of my assigned IP addresses.

The only information I do not have however which is stopping me from completing the configuration is the gateway IP address, which I assume only my ISP can provide since I am connected to their network?

Would I be correct in this assumption?

Thanks, Wayne

TRENDING THREADS