robertris2

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I'm looking closely at this drive, it makes toms tier 1 for ssd, and at $238, the price is kind of hard to beat. Has anyone used this product? If so what is your thoughts on the drive? I'm also up to other comparable suggestions.

robertris2

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

Thank you for the link, and I did like the site reviews, how ever I am looking for someone who actually owns the product and can give me real life feed back. I tend not to buy a product unless I get statistics and real time use.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

i have the drive and its great. Make absolutely sure you get the enhanced chronos deluxe not just the enhanced chronose. DELUXE get that one. the non deluxe uses older flash memory and is slower.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226226
NOT THIS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226237
very important.

make sure if you get the drive to go into advance power settings and turn off hybrid sleep. if you dont it could cause hibernation problems and random bsod. at least it did for me. the drive will boot in 20 seconds and never touches the welcome screen it goes straight from the black windows screen to the desktop. 223 gb before a clean install as well.

it will reach the rated speeds and at a minimum it will hit 350 mb/s in worst case.

if you have any questions just ask.

robertris2

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

Thanks for the feedback! I did in fact get the Chronos Deluxe 240

Is it a common thing for BSOD when using hybrid sleep? I think that's a bit strange but with the speed of these drives plus my current specs I may just as well disable sleep altogether as I can boot up in less then 30 seconds anyways. Did you have to do anything to prep? I heard some people say to download the driver before you even install it in to your system.

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
I've had this drive for about 6 months now and it is awesome. Not a single issue at all with it. Speeds as advertised still and I have it 3/4 full. They cost almost half what they did 6 mos ago, great deal at current prices, I'm tempted to grab another!

Make sure you set your bios to AHCI for the drive before re-installing windows. If available connect it to an Intel controller instead of Marvell etc.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

it was the first solution to hibernation problem so yeah its a well documented problem across all drives not just mushkin. i set mine to sleep after an hour and no problems after turning off hybrid sleep.

let the person above me make sure the drive is set to ahci or it will not boot. or atleast mine wouldnt.

woodhands

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
I have had occasional BSODs (0x0a) and memory tests and driver updates won't eliminate them.
I wonder about my Mushkin Chronos deluxe 240.

These often happen middle of the night, like 1 am - and while Windows sleeps my monitor, it is instructed to never sleep the hard disk. (I just turned off the hybrid sleep choice; but with "never sleep" it should not be invoked.

Is there a way from reviewing the BSOD error messages to figure out if this is the Mushkin SSD? below is a sample from windows error log.
SM

Source
Windows

Summary
Shut down unexpectedly

Date
10/1/2010 12:45 AM

Status
Not reported

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
100110-29577-01.dmp
sysdata.xml

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: a
BCP1: FFFFFC0000600898
BCP2: 0000000000000002
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: FFFFF80002D3F4D8
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Use this utility and you can track down exactly what is giving you the BSOD.

http://nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

If the drive is the problem you will want to update the firmware on the drive if it is an older one. You can get it at Mushkin's site. Also make sure motherboard drivers and firmware are also up to date. most of the issues with sandforce drives were resolved with those updates unless you have a really oddball or very old motherboard. Blue screens on early sandforce drives were all driver and firmware conflict related. There was never actually anything physically defective or broken.

robertris2

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Thought I would update this just to say I received my Chronos Deluxe 240 GB today, and I love it. Much better then the Corsair Force GT I had, which I tried using as a boot drive before using it with SRT. I disabled the hybrid sleep, funny thing is I did a fresh install of W7 and forgot about hybrid sleep, so when I turned the computer back on not even my BIOS could read the SSD! I got freaked, but I pulled it out of my computer then placed it back in, and it worked fine. I'm going to run some tests to make sure it doesn't happen again... other wise I'm very happy with my purchase!

cbrunnem

Distinguished

Mine did that exact same thing. I had to reset everything then it has been fine since.