Mushkin Ships Sandforce SF-1200-powered SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Dont get me wrong here Im glad to see new players in the SSD market but both of the articles on SSD's today have been for rather expensive ones. Can we get some good performance SSD's maybe on a sandforce controller that are under 150 bucks for a 60gb? competition is supposed to lower prices not have everyone introducing their stuff at the same price point... Some one has to be able to do this at least a LITTLE cheaper right? I mean Come ONNN Mushkin and corsair and samsung you guys MAKE memory chips for PCs its not like you dont have them already... youre not breaking a lot of ground here.

WD 64gb ssd $169 free shipping - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820250001

corsair 64gb ssd $179 w/2 dollar shipping - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233092

Kingston ssdnow V+ 189 with free shipping - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139112

I know these arent using the sandforce chips but still dont you think we can get a big memory company like mushkin or corsair to help get the prices of these things down?

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]sicpric[/nom]You would think these new SSDs would be Sata III but no...[/citation]
What the hell do you need Sata III for? These things are fast as hell, and still don't even max out Sata II's sustained 300mb bandwidth. Sata III would only make them MORE un-affordable.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006

Because 300 MBps will max out SATAII. That's why you need SATA 3 now on SSDs.

[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]What the hell do you need Sata III for? [/citation]

1. I notice even in Hard Drives w/ the same platter and heads.... in a SATA III configuration, there is some improvement, mostly it appears due to cache transfers being able to take advantage of the extra bandwidth.

2. Why use one storage medium, when you can use two ? Many people still want to use RAID 0 and for about 5% of them, it has real tangible benefits.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
The amazing thing here is that a startup company (Sandforce) is the ONLY one to be able to make a controller that even comes close to the Intel one. I love it when startups shake shit up.

kr33py

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I was hoping the price of these things would start falling :/

The worst thing is it probably only costs them in the region on 20 bucks to make :(

tainted_peak

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
More companies join the market= over saturation = lower prices to compete = more bang for buck.

Everyday that passes is one day closer...

Evil_Overlord

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
kr33py, house70, & shin0bi272,

In a market where older products are quickly replaced by newer products that mimic the best features of the market leaders, every product quickly becomes a commodity. When a market full of commodity items exists, the only way to entice consumers to buy their product over that of a competitor is to lower the price. However, when a new product is released to market that features a new and highly desirable feature (SandForce 1200 controller) it gets set apart from the herd; it is, for a short time, not a commodity item. This is why these new drives are so expensive: they have something you want that no one else has. As other manufacturers introduce drives with this controller prices will drop because it will become a commodity again.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
No memory maker wants to sell an SSD at a price point that will enable adoption by consumers. Price cuts on SSD would mean much larger and cheaper USB flash drives and would hurt current sales of smaller flash drives.

If I can sell you a 120GB flash drive once or a 4GB flash drive 10+ times I'll make more money selling you the item 10 or more times than just one retail sale of a very large drive.

It's a catch-22 for these manufacturers and they are holding the prices high to keep another part of their business alive and well. Eventually someone with no stake in the smaller sized units will come in and run away with the SSD market.

In the long run SSD will be cheaper to make than current magnetic platter drives.

etrom

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
MKNSSDCL120GB – 120GB Callisto SSD

$369.99

Wow, it's really on par with Intel's X25-m which costs 400ish, and having the new Sandforce controller, I'm pretty that it'll deliver the actual speeds advertised.

phate

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
"Come ONNN Mushkin and corsair and samsung you guys MAKE memory chips for PCs its not like you dont have them already"

Actually out of those, only samsung actually makes memory chips. Their is only about 5 big memory manufacturers (die fabs) in the world. Let me see if I can recall: Micron, Samsung, Infineon, hynix... anyway all other memory BRANDS use their chips. Some of the premium brands such as Corsair and Mushkin pick the cream of the crop chips, but they do not make them.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Would love to have SSDs in my laptop and desktop but until i can get 120gbs for around 200 i don't think ill be running out to buy one anytime soon.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
For all the people that wish that the 240gb version was around $150 (I myself am included in that pack). This is an entirely new technology and all the R&D that goes into developing the controllers and the chips trickles down to you. It's going to be a few years before any of us see, what we would consider, reasonable prices. Just as when the first SSD's were released they didn't have TRIM and now it's common place. Any new tech takes several years before it starts to hit the mainstream at a good price point. I still remember paying $120 for a 40gb WD HDD about 8years ago and at the time, that was a good price.

BigBurn

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
[citation][nom]ausch30[/nom] I still remember paying $120 for a 40gb WD HDD about 8years ago and at the time, that was a good price.[/citation]

True, but 8 years ago, 40GB was HUGE.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
"Come ONNN Mushkin and corsair and samsung you guys MAKE memory chips for PCs its not like you dont have them already"

I'm pretty sure SSDs have way more in common with flash drives than RAM...

These things should be better priced sometime in Q4 of this year when they're supposedly moving to a new process.

Status
Not open for further replies.