My $2000 Final Summer Build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
The PSU? Yes the 620HX should be fine. Just put in the 750W PP&C to be safe in the list.

As for the HDD the WD6400AAKS is about the same speed as the Seagates. The key is the AAKS part, the other non AAKS drives aren't as fast.

If looking for quiet fans consider Yate Loon fans. For quiet fan info:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page2.html

As far as motherboards go paying $300 is you are going for Nehalem is not worth it. Then again, I recommend you do a full new build or re-use the RAM,Motherboard,CPU from the current build in another build if building a Nehalem PC.

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
So they are equally fast? Just pick one based on price, I will.

Thanks for reminding me about the YLs, I forgot about them...

I probably won't reuse them after I get Nehalem (which I still haven't gotten an answer when consumer CPUs will come out)....

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
that's the point....should I Crossfire? I'm probably not going to reuse parts though, although this will be a build that will last me almost a year until stable Nehalem/X58

bloomfield1jh6.png

consumer CPUs = Extreme / Performance / Mainstream
Extreme; 3.2GHz $999
Performance; 2.93GHz $562
Mainstream; 2.66GHz $284
Launching in Sept with X58 motherboards - wide availability in October
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=14614

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
wow...this is quad or octo?

In his case, maybe I should get cheap cpu/mobo....and find a way o sell it to a friend...

is DDR3 memory mandatory?

sirrell

Distinguished
May 3, 2008
Y care what you build now if your going to get a Nehalem.

Personally I'd build with whats out now, rather than what coming out.
Besides its much cheaper than getting the latest and greatest.
And there are way more reviews and specs and drivers and forums with problems for the stuff that is already out.

Hope you have deep pockets, like 3000 - 6000 for a very nice machine.

AT THE MOMENT, Intels Extreme Chips are like $1500+ and then DDR3 2000Mhz isn't Cheap, and With SLI or CrossfireX (3 x $900) for very nice gfx cards, it all adds up quick. Latest Mobo is about was $400-$550 alone.

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Hey sirrell - i don't think you read my post...my budget's $2000...

Alright, is there a approximate launch date for the mid-range consumer Nehalem? That way, I know how long I will use a temp CPU......
And is the 4850 X2 coming out next week?

crysis900

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008

Q9550 CPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041
MSI P43 Mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130185
4870x2 $400-$500

Don't spend $200-$300 on mobo if ur going to upgrade to Nehalem soon. And if you don't want crossfire, the x38/48 offers no advantages.

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
You're telling me to not spend $200-300 on a mobo, and over $300 for a CPU :sarcastic: ...shouldn't I spend less on the CPU too, If I'm upgrading?

Well, I've decided to go uber-cheap with the CPU/Mobo and RAM (will pick up 2GB DDR2 for $20), and upgrade to Nehalem later.

What CPU/mobo should I get for the time being, until Nehalem is out?
E2180? I'll get a Xigmatek and OC.....I'd like to spend as little as possible, and I will try to sell the pair to a friend who is thinking of building a computer the next month or 2 for ~$500-600....

I'll pick up the 4850X2 most likely.....

What would really help now is a chart of some kind, or some info on the rough release dates of Nehalem consumer...and how much..

NMD

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008

Sorry, I only skimmed most of the posts.

If I only had 2k to spend on a new rig I would not wait to get the Nehalem. What you should do is wait until shorty after the desktop Nehalem stuff starts to appear. There will be lots of price drops on everything that's out now, you'll have a great PC at like 30% less than you would pay right now. It wont be the latest and geatest but early adopters all ways pay out the ass.

If you really want to wait for Nehalem just build a low end rig for right now. What is your budget for the "temporary" rig? And what will it be used for?

Don't know if its been said but, the heatsinks you have chosen are very tall, make sure you can fit them. And make sure you get the retention bracket kick.

Excelent article on the heatsinks: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=156&Itemid=1
Another good article: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=5&Itemid=62

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
That's what I 've been trying to find out for like half a dozen posts.....when is the consumer NEHALEM coming out?

My budget for the entire computer is <$2000. I've already ordered the Case, PSU, Speakers, Monitor(which I will sell at same price to someone else, so technically I still need a monitor), and Sound card.
I need CPU, Mobo, GPU, RAM, HD, CPU cooler, DVD-ROM, DVD Burner.....my case is an Antec P182...will the Xigmatech fit?
I'm strongly considering getting a CPU/Mobo along the E2180 or so, and selling them to a friend for slightly less when Nehalem comes out....but when is that going to happen? 2 months? 4 months?
For now, someone recommend a decent cheap mobo.....

NMD

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
I found the quote by way of Wikipedia. I'm sure if you google a bit you could find more up to date info.

That would be the key time to buy current gen stuff , just before Christmas and right after the Bloomfileds come out, for 2k you will be able to buy a very nice rig, you could do that now of course.

If you really want to go Bloomfiled at the very least you should wait 3-6 months after launch. That will give time for more hardware to come out and the prices to go down. There will also be much more feedback from the community at that point as to "This is better than that" ect.

I am not sure on the fit in that case. I looked at the 182 b4 I got my new case(cosmos-s) i believe the 182 is a mid-tower, so you had better double check the max height on the cooler. I'm sure you can find the spec on Antec's website. If I remember correctly the height of just the cooler is 160mm, that does not include the height of the mobo and CPU. The max height for my case(if I use the side fan) is 158mm, and its a large full tower case.

Intel brings forward Nehalem launch

Monica Chen, Taipei; Joseph Tsai, DIGITIMES [Thursday 24 July 2008]

Originally scheduled to launch in November or December this year, Intel's Nehalem-based Bloomfield processors will now launch in September along with X58 chipsets, sources at motherboard makers have revealed.

However, the sources pointed out that CPUs and motherboards will not officially appear in the channel until early October.

Since Bloomfield CPUs are not socket compatible with previous Intel platforms, the accelerated launch is not expected to cause competition between the company's own products, although the same cannot be said for AMD's scheduled AM3-based CPU launch, noted the sources.

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Interesting....thanks a lot for the info......anyone have any opinion that I should get a cheap cpu/mobo combo like the E2180/P35 board....since a good time to get the Nehalem is probably Dec-Jan....3 or 4 more months.....since the stuff is coming out next month........or just go with Q6600/Q9450 and X38/X48 board.....

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I am thinking of ordering either tomorrow or Monday...
CPU Cooler,RAM Hard Drive, DVD-Drive, DVD Burner.....anyone any opinions on which 3 month temporary CPU/Mobo I should get?

NMD

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
P35 is a solid chipset for a temp rig,(I wish I wold have got one instead of my 680i) I don't know much about the low end CPU's, so I cant help you there.

Go with the Q9XXX series for your actual rig if your not gonna get bloomfield. Don't get an X38 or X48 unless you want cross fire. A P45 will be just fine.

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Alright My Plan:

1. My friend wants to build a $600 rig in ~2 months, so I am going to buy a low-end CPU, OC the hell out of it, with a P35 mobo and DDR2 RAM, and then sell it to him 2 months later for slightly less than I paid for them, so I will be losing like only $20-30...then get myself a midrange Bloomfield Nehalem with X58 and DDR3 in ~Oct-Nov....which I will keep permanently.

2. Or just go ahead and blow my money on a Q9XXX and P45....

Anyone know if Nehalem will be significantly faster than Penryn/C2Q?
If it's jsut going to be slightly, like Q9450 and Q6600, I'd rather go the 2nd option...then again it's an entire new true quad chipset..

Does the 4850X2 work better on X38/48, or no? - I'm most likely getting that as my final GPU.