[SOLVED] MY ASUS ROG STRIX GL10-CS PC is consuming RAM over 40% being at idle and no background task running!!!

Nithin Samuel 25

Reputable
Feb 5, 2017
Hello there tom's HARDWARE
I've been downloading games from torrent sites and maybe my PC got infected cause of some viruses and two weeks ago I found out my RAM is being used more than 40% being idle and no background task is running but the process named "anitmalware service executable" was always on top of RAM consuming list. While I play games or stream games, they just crash to desktop and my games and also streams end up in vain. Please help me find solution for my problem.
The specs are
Intel i5-9400f 3.90GHz(boost)
8GB RAM 2667GHz DDR4
NVIDIA GTX 1650 4GB RAM 128-bit
I really want to show you the screenshots of my situation but it says to insert pictures through website but I don't have website.
Please help me with the fix. I already tried all of the Youtube solutions for day and nights 5days. Nothing helped me including paid antivirus softwares.
Help me ASAP
Thank You! Advance

Solution
Ahhhhhh! Bro, I fixed it. I fixed that damn problem. It was my fault totally. I did a mistake for boosting up my PC, I downloaded Razor Game Booster and I myself created a power plan for high PC performance for gaming, so... that thing messed up consuming more and more RAM. Now I totally reduced it to 21% at idle state and 30% when all processes running background. Only thing fixed this is to just apply the normal/recommended power plan. Sorry for disturbing you all bro. Thank You.
Antimalware Service Executable is one of the background-running services in Windows Defender. It's also known as MsMpEng.exe

Above 40% from 8GB is not that much (3.2GB? More?)... For Windows 10 is completely normal to be using around 3GB Ram.
What kind of paid Antivirus have you used?
Try Bitdefender Trial for 30 days and scan your PC.

Reactions: CountMike

Nithin Samuel 25

Reputable
Feb 5, 2017
Sure bro. I just feel like smashing my PC when it shows me over 40% RAM usage and the fans sounding, I remember very well it used only around 20% RAM when I bought this PC. It's been now a month bro.

Nithin Samuel 25

Reputable
Feb 5, 2017
I even fresh installed Windows three times thinking that it would come to normal state..... and also many solutions from Youtube but it didn't show good result as I expected.
And finally I would like to know if Windows 7 64 bit is good for this PC or not because I don't want my PC to consume RAM more than 30% without Windows Processes. Thank You

Nithin Samuel 25

Reputable
Feb 5, 2017
Ahhhhhh! Bro, I fixed it. I fixed that damn problem. It was my fault totally. I did a mistake for boosting up my PC, I downloaded Razor Game Booster and I myself created a power plan for high PC performance for gaming, so... that thing messed up consuming more and more RAM. Now I totally reduced it to 21% at idle state and 30% when all processes running background. Only thing fixed this is to just apply the normal/recommended power plan. Sorry for disturbing you all bro. Thank You.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What you want based on prior or other pc's status is quite often not what you get or have in reality.

When reinstalling windows, was it a totally fresh install, removing any partitions, fully blank ssd, or just a plain wipe over. There's a difference, especially if you picked up stay resident or sleeper virus/Trojans. Sleepers are notoriously hard to remove, because they are 2 programs. The Trojan itself, and the sleeper file that looks for the Trojan signature and not finding it will automatically download a fresh copy of the Trojan, installing it without letting you know. You get rid of the Trojan and 10 minutes later it's right back and you have no idea how.

So if that's what you picked up from the torrents, without a full wipe, it'll stay where it's at.

There's other things too. You have a fresh windows install, which wiped out any/all motherboard chipset drivers, which can hurt performance. You've got constant, trickle windows updates until its fully finished, you've got 8Gb of ram and windows can easily use 3Gb by itself in various background tasks.

Cut ram %? Disable windows store. Cortana. As many auto processes that you never use as you can find. WinAero is a little program that's good for that stuff as it gives you access to hidden windows switches.

Revert to Win7? No. I loved Win7, was very easy to navigate, but I grew up on DOS based systems, and the early windows 95 editions etc, so XP/7 wasn't a stretch. Win10 has no DOS presence other than CMD, so has basically become what Apple first envisioned Windows to be. Plug and play, point and click, on/off switches fully automated processes. 7 is no longer supported, even for security updates. Going backwards will just make things worse as many of its drivers still use 16bit processes, which are often at odds with newer 64bit versions wanted by software.