My best so far, but alas - YASD.

Hello. I was planing on having my first post here a YAVP, but i now
realize that that's not going to happen any time soon :)

This DECJ (is that the correct abrivation?) started out like many other
characters, making his way down to the temple, starting his devoted
worship to Vehumet (I used to worship, like many new mages, sif muna -
but after trying out Vehumet there is no competition any more (I would
probably pick him for his "enhance destructive spells" power alone))

Any comments? A magical secret trick to prevent all future deaths?

Morgue file here (with nifty comments):

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

The hydra misses you.
The hydra misses you.
The hydra hits you!
You die...
//I have no idea how many heads this one had. I would guess 6.
.. .....
{..{ .{.{#{
.{.{{ {...{..
{{{.{. .....{{ {
#{{{.%{ b/##{{{#{{
#{{{{{{###{#{{{{#{{.{
{{{{{{.{.{.{{{{#{{{{.{{
{{{.{....D{.{{{{{{?.{..
#{.{...@..{{#{{{{{{.{{{
#.{....{..##{.{{{{{{{#
{{{.{.{{....{{{){{{{.{{{
{{{.{{{.....{#{{{{{{.#
{{.{.{{{{#{#{{.#{{{.{#
{{.{{{{{{{{{{{.#{{{.{{{
{.{{{{{{{{{{{.{{{#{{##
.{.{#{{#{{{{.{{#{.{{{
{..{..{{.....{{{.{{.

Lupus the Destroyer (Deep Elf)
(Level 15 Conjurer)

Play time: 02:24:12 Number of turns: 49579

Experience : 15/118997
Strength 5 Dexterity 14 Intelligence 28
Hit Points : -11/60 (dead) Magic Points : 5/37
AC : 13 Evasion : 13 Shield : 0
GP : 240 //Orcish mine was closed of. Didn't find any wands of didding.

//Died in the swamp as you can see. pretty shoddy AC and EV i guess.
//Died because i got overconfident. Obviously. My own fault, plain and
simple.
//let my MP go down to low, moved one step when i should have rested...

You are in the Swamp.
You worship Vehumet.
Vehumet is exalted by your worship.
You are encumbered.
You are not hungry.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
a - a +0 elven dagger
A - the +7,+1 hammer of the Pit (weapon)
It affects your AC (+6).
//Not to bad, for the AC. Didnt help much though..

Armour
j - a +0 pair of gloves (worn)
p - a +0 pair of boots (worn)
w - a +0 helmet (worn)
H - a +0 cloak (worn)
U - a +2 robe of fire resistance (worn)
//Didnt find any decent armor
Magical devices
k - a wand of draining (9)
C - a wand of teleportation (5)
E - a wand of frost (16)
M - a wand of flame (1)
Q - a wand of slowing (7)
//Nor wands...
Comestibles
d - 6 bread rations
f - 2 apples
h - 2 meat rations
l - a lemon
//No food problems however
Scrolls
e - a scroll of enchant weapon II
i - 3 scrolls of remove curse
n - 4 scrolls of detect curse
q - a scroll of forgetfulness
y - a scroll of enchant weapon I
F - 3 scrolls of blinking
I - 2 scrolls of magic mapping
K - 4 scrolls of teleportation
O - a scroll of enchant armour
W - 7 scrolls of identify
Y - a scroll of recharging
Z - a scroll of immolation
Jewellery
g - a +3 ring of evasion
m - an amulet of resist mutation (around neck)
o - a ring of wizardry (left hand)
s - a ring of sustenance
x - a +6 ring of strength
z - a ring of sustain abilities
J - an amulet of controlled flight
N - a ring of invisibility
S - a ring of protection from cold
V - a ring of poison resistance (right hand)
X - an amulet of controlled flight
//Not a single ring of fire or even magical power...
Potions
b - 7 potions of healing
r - 2 potions of restore abilities
t - a potion of levitation
u - a potion of might
v - a potion of poison
D - 2 potions of heal wounds
P - 3 potions of speed
R - 4 potions of invisibility
Books
G - a book of Annihilations
L - a book of Callings
//I wuv you Vehumet :)
Miscellaneous
c - an air elemental fan
B - a box of beasts
//Found in the swamp

//Please notice the complete and utter lack of magical staves...
//I would have sold my
//Spellbook of ... well, callings, for a staff of conjuration.

You have 3 experience left.

Skills:
- Level 1 Short Blades
- Level 1 Staves
+ Level 6 Dodging
- Level 4 Stealth
+ Level 14 Spellcasting
+ Level 18 Conjurations
+ Level 14 Fire Magic
+ Level 7 Earth Magic
//Should i train stealth the next time?

You cannot memorise any spells.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success
Level
a - Lehudib's Crystal Spear Earth/Conjuration Very Good 8
b - Iskenderun's Mystic Blast Conjuration Perfect 4
c - Stone Arrow Earth/Conjuration Excellent 3
e - Sticky Flame Fire/Conjuration Excellent 4
f - Bolt of Fire Fire/Conjuration Excellent 5
g - Bolt of Iron Earth/Conjuration Excellent 6
h - Swiftness Air/Enchantment Great 2
i - Repel Missiles Air/Enchantment Great 2
j - Levitation Air/Enchantment Great 2
k - Ozocubu's Armour Ice/Enchantment Very Good 3
l - Selective Amnesia Enchantment Very Good 3
//Just recently dumped magic dart, throw flame and a few other poor
//spells in order to get Crystal spear. mm.. good spell.
//Heavy on the MP and food however, so it didnt see much use.
//Had to memorize Mystic Blast for those anoying insubstantial wisps.
//Most used spell: Bolt of fire, hands down.

Vanquished Creatures
//The only real threat after the early game (except the hydra..)
//was the dragon on D:18.
//I was down to perhaps 15 hp when he was killed by my Bolt of Iron.
//I made the mistake of casting Bolt of Fire on him once,
//which almost cost me my life

Francis (D:18)
A yaktaur captain (D:12)
A dragon (D:18)
6 hydras
An ogre-mage (D:17)
Erica (Swamp:1)
A rakshasa (D:17)
A deep troll (D:12)
A giant amoeba (D:17)
A soul eater (D:18)
3 centaur warriors
5 skeletal warriors (D:17)
A giant orange brain (shapeshifter) (D:17)
A stone giant skeleton (D:18)
3 unseen horrors
4 hill giants
2 swamp dragons
An orc knight (D:18)
Erolcha (D:11)
A red wasp (Swamp:3)
A mimic (D:14)
2 wolf spiders
43 slime creatures
A black snake (Lair:3)
Urug (D:11)
Michael (D:11)
4 cyclopes
A very ugly thing (Swamp:5)
A very ugly thing skeleton (D:17)
12 giant brown frogs
3 giant snails
6 trolls
A komodo dragon (D:13)
20 ugly things
An ettin (D:17)
A rock troll skeleton (D:17)
A queen bee (shapeshifter) (D:16)
Psyche (D:11)
6 spiny frogs
A stone giant zombie (D:16)
3 two-headed ogres
7 giant goldfish
4 hungry ghosts
A two-headed ogre (shapeshifter) (D:17)
4 hippogriffs
4 giant slugs
8 giant blowflies
A cyclops skeleton (D:16)
2 wraiths
A soldier ant (shapeshifter) (D:15)
2 wyverns
8 insubstantial wisps
3 soldier ants
An orange demon (D:18)
3 manticores
A red devil (D:18)
29 yaks
6 swamp worms
An ugly thing skeleton (D:18)
6 ice beasts
3 mottled dragons
A griffon zombie (D:12)
6 phantoms
A boring beetle (shapeshifter) (D:18)
12 centaurs
5 gila monsters
5 big kobolds
10 ogres
A necrophage (D:11)
23 giant frogs
A hill giant zombie (D:17)
2 rock troll zombies
4 giant lizards
9 war dogs
Sigmund (D:8)
13 orc warriors
A brain worm (D:15)
9 brown snakes
A swamp drake (Swamp:4)
A redback skeleton (D:17)
9 big fish
3 jellyfish
An eye of draining (D:17)
An ugly thing simulacrum (D:17)
2 boulder beetle zombies
158 killer bees
18 imps
3 ugly thing zombies
12 hounds
12 orc priests
3 giant beetles
2 wights
10 giant ants
A deep elf soldier (D:14)
An ettin zombie (D:15)
3 shadows
A yak zombie (D:15)
2 electrical eels
7 giant iguanas
11 orc wizards
4 scorpions
Ijyb (D:2)
7 boggarts
A soldier ant zombie (D:11)
9 jellies
3 gnolls (D:4)
23 snakes
A big kobold zombie (D:12)
4 giant centipedes
A giant lizard zombie (D:9)
A mottled dragon zombie (D:15)
7 worms
18 green rats
2 oozes
Jessica (D:2)
4 giant eyeballs
2 giant ant zombies
A giant eyeball zombie (D:17)
A killer bee zombie (D:12)
25 giant bats
13 giant cockroaches
8 giant geckos
10 giant mosquitos
30 goblins
11 grey rats
18 hobgoblins
20 jackals
54 orcs
29 rats
4 small snakes
2 giant centipede zombies
12 giant newts
40 killer bee larvae
45 kobolds
An orc zombie (D:9)
6 quokkas
A rat zombie (D:5)
6 fungi
15 plants

1050 creatures vanquished.

Well. it was fun while it lasted. I think im pretty much burned out on
fire based conjurers for now (...). Any ideas on my next long lines of
corpses ending with a YASD? I was thinking of merfolk transmuters..

/Jonatan Hedborg

jonatan.hedborg@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello.

Hooray! Crawl traffic!

Because (alas!) Crawl has not yet Taken Over The World and, indeed
quite to the contrary, shares a newsgroup with several other
roguelikes, it's considered good form to put "[Crawl]" in the subject
line, thus my change to the subject line. (Don't let some other folks'
laziness in the newsgroup fool you -- two wrongs don't make a right
etc. etc.)

> I was planing on having my first post here a YAVP, but i now
> realize that that's not going to happen any time soon :)

Ooooh, I knooooow THAT feeling... :)

> This DECJ (is that the correct abrivation?)

Almost.

2-word race or class names: each initial, capitalized.
1-word race or class names: first two letters, 1st capitalized, 2nd
not. If two races or classes have (always 1-word, I guess) names that
start the same, one of them gets mangled in some way that, hopefully,
remains understandable. Why my beloved *conjurers* had to get their
abbreviation mangled, I don't know, but when I find out, somebody's
gonna PAY!!

Uh, wow. That was pretty nerdy.

So: [D]eep [E]lven [C]on[j]urer.

> started out like many other
> characters, making his way down to the temple, starting his devoted
> worship to Vehumet (I used to worship, like many new mages, sif muna
-
> but after trying out Vehumet there is no competition any more (I
would
> probably pick him for his "enhance destructive spells" power alone))

I went through both phases, and they both make sense. A new player --
who most likely, cruel as it is to say, won't be surviving long enough
to squeeze out maximum Vehumet goodness anyway -- can really benefit in
the long term from all the spell mixing and matching that you can do
with Sif Muna, so that once she "graduates" to Vehumet, she knows what
spells she can afford to take upon assuming that you'll have to go to
Hell and back to get Selective Amnesia (an assumption which you should
indeed make).

However, you can try even other things than Vehumet that are also
somewhat effective, although all in all, Vehumet-and-nothing else is
probably the prime choice for a DECj.

*Elyvilon, or Elyvilon then Foo.* Healing's always nice. Trust me on
this. You lose the Necro, Poison, and Summoning options, but that just
means more XP for everything else. :) Elyvilon is the only god that
*never* punishes you for switching religions ("never" because, AFAIR,
Zin, TSO, or both withhold punishment if you switch to another good
god), so you can later dump him... if you want to be a chump.

*SM, then Vehumet.* Don't do this before finding Selective Amnesia,
though, obviously. Although come to think of it, during the transition
period, you may find yourself forgetting plenty enough spells even
without SA. ;-) Anyway, this is not just theoretical; I've seen this in
YACD's and maybe even YAVP's in the past.

* Foo, then Nemelex.* Nemelex is pretty nifty if you want to turn to
the dark side of munchkinism. It doesn't attract me, but it's a pretty
effective way to win games. And Nemelex, meanwhile, is most useful
after you've gotten your Evocations up a bit, which has to be a second
priority for a DECj, so might as well occupy some other god in the
meantime.

Just for interest's sake: I'm currently running a Kenku
fire-elementalist-turned-Reaver who's doing Elyvilon. But that's partly
because I'm pretty nuts for Elyvilon. He's a really cool guy. Uh, god.

> Any comments? A magical secret trick to prevent all future deaths?

Let's stick to just DECj's. And just this frequent kind of death
midgame death, at least for a certain learning phase. (I speak from
experience. BTW I've never won yet, although I've been to the bottom of
Zot twice.)

Rule I:
* Never let a hydra get adjacent to you.
* Never let a hydra get adjacent to you.
* Did I mention the one about never letting a hydra get adjacent to
you?

See, the trouble is, due to the highly random nature of damage in
Crawl, you're likely to occasionally, or even frequently, survive a
round or maybe even two with a hydra adjacent to your DECj, which leads
to the false belief that this event is, so to speak, permissible.

Never let a hydra get adjacent to you.

> Morgue file here (with nifty comments):
>

> Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.
>
> The hydra misses you.
> The hydra misses you.
> The hydra hits you!
> You die...

> //I have no idea how many heads this one had. I would guess 6.
> .. .....
> {..{ .{.{#{
> .{.{{ {...{..
> {{{.{. .....{{ {
> #{{{.%{ b/##{{{#{{
> #{{{{{{###{#{{{{#{{.{
> {{{{{{.{.{.{{{{#{{{{.{{
> {{{.{....D{.{{{{{{?.{..
> #{.{...@..{{#{{{{{{.{{{
> #.{....{..##{.{{{{{{{#
> {{{.{.{{....{{{){{{{.{{{
> {{{.{{{.....{#{{{{{{.#
> {{.{.{{{{#{#{{.#{{{.{#
> {{.{{{{{{{{{{{.#{{{.{{{
> {.{{{{{{{{{{{.{{{#{{##
> .{.{#{{#{{{{.{{#{.{{{
> {..{..{{.....{{{.{{.
>
> Lupus the Destroyer (Deep Elf)
> (Level 15 Conjurer)
>
> Play time: 02:24:12 Number of turns: 49579
>
> Experience : 15/118997
> Strength 5 Dexterity 14 Intelligence 28
> Hit Points : -11/60 (dead) Magic Points : 5/37
> AC : 13 Evasion : 13 Shield : 0
> GP : 240 //Orcish mine was closed of. Didn't find any wands of
didding.

Any alternative tools? You can also use:

- any "renewable" source of teleportation -- this includes rings of
teleportation; never throw these away
- a Stone of Earth Elementals ("a blah blah blah stone")
- Summon Elemental
- Dig
- Wands of disintegration
- Passwall (in case you can't cast Dig yet)

> //Died in the swamp as you can see. pretty shoddy AC and EV i guess.

For a level 15 DECj, it's not all that bad.

> //Died because i got overconfident. Obviously. My own fault, plain
and
> simple.
> //let my MP go down to low,

With 60 HP, one single hyper-unlucky round next to a hydra could
perhaps kill you. But OK, most likely being at full health would have
saved you. However, another reason I like SIMPLE mottos as a survival
tool in Crawl is that adding various exceptions tends to be the road to
the grave.

> moved one step when i should have rested...
>

> You are in the Swamp.
> You worship Vehumet.
> Vehumet is exalted by your worship.
> You are encumbered.

Rule II:

*Never* get encumbered. Don't even think it, baby.
Grudging exception a: Unless you're just hauling stuff to a junkpile
and you're a walking tank.
Exclamation point i: UNLESS YOU'RE IN THE *SWAMP*!!!

> You are not hungry.
>
> Inventory:
> Hand weapons
> a - a +0 elven dagger
> A - the +7,+1 hammer of the Pit (weapon)
> It affects your AC (+6).
> //Not to bad, for the AC. Didnt help much though..

If you're using an English keyboard, you'll probably find "a" for your
main weapon more convenient (and "b" for your secondary weapon, and
who-cares for your 3rd, butchering weapon, if needed), due to the '
command -- see Crawl's "?" help for details.

> Armour
> j - a +0 pair of gloves (worn)
> p - a +0 pair of boots (worn)
> w - a +0 helmet (worn)
> H - a +0 cloak (worn)
> U - a +2 robe of fire resistance (worn)
> //Didnt find any decent armor
> Magical devices
> k - a wand of draining (9)
> C - a wand of teleportation (5)
> E - a wand of frost (16)
> M - a wand of flame (1)
> Q - a wand of slowing (7)
> //Nor wands...

Draining's pretty nice, and teleportation is nice for any place where
you'll be hit with fire a lot (bad for teleport scrolls) and you don't
have the skill or the slots to cast Teleport Self.

> Comestibles
> d - 6 bread rations
> f - 2 apples
> h - 2 meat rations
> l - a lemon
> //No food problems however

Too much food IMO. It's no wonder you were encumbered. The only reason
to ever carry more than two rations plus a snack at any given time (and
frankly, my personal rule is *one* plus a snack, but many would
disagree with me) is in places where you are at risk of being sent to
the Abyss (which in that phase of the game generally means
orc-with-weapon-of-distortion or Zot-trap-in-the-Snake-Pits). Even
taking that risk into account, I'd hardly carry more than four.

> Scrolls
> e - a scroll of enchant weapon II
> i - 3 scrolls of remove curse
> n - 4 scrolls of detect curse
> q - a scroll of forgetfulness
> y - a scroll of enchant weapon I
> F - 3 scrolls of blinking
> I - 2 scrolls of magic mapping
> K - 4 scrolls of teleportation
> O - a scroll of enchant armour
> W - 7 scrolls of identify
> Y - a scroll of recharging
> Z - a scroll of immolation

Firstly, if I were encumbered and had a 1-square distance between me
and a hydra, the first thing I'd do is check if I had a scroll of Get
Out of Death Free, and the second thing I'd do is read it. I'll leave
the figuring out which scroll that is as an exercise for the reader.

Secondly, considering how close you were to the best stash location in
the game -- the stairs up from the Lair to the Dungeon -- I have a
hunch you were long overdue for a visit to your stash. There are more
than enough firedrakes and and mottled dragons in the Lair and the
Swamp to ruin your day when you're carrying a scroll collection of that
volume. Plus, it adds weight -- not much, but every bit counts. (You
were expecting me to say something about your being a weak ole DE,
right? Not as true as it seems; each point of strength is only worth
ten AUM, i.e. one chunksworth, of carrying capacity.)

Just for illustration, if I were to glance at my scroll collection and
it looked like that, I'd go back to my stash and return for the swamp
carrying the following:

1 scroll of remove curse
2 scrolls of teleportation (some would say 3)
1 scroll of blinking. Or two as a reserve against fire loss, but I find
that a DECj does better to, and is able to, finish off the source of
the fire loss and then immediately -- yes, immediately -- return home
for a replacement.

I assume that you've by now solved the exercise for the reader, but
let's just say it flat out.

Rule III: Always carry a scroll of blinking.
Exception a: Arguably too valuable to carry in the Elven Halls.
Sub-Exception i: Arguably too valuable *not* to carry in the Elven
Halls.
Exception b: Pointless in any place that prvents controlled
teleportation.
Exception c: Arguably pointless if you can cast Controlled Blink at
"Very Good" or better. Arguably.

I'm surprised not to see any scrolls of fear. I have a hunch you may be
assuming these scrolls are worthless. Trust me, they're not; you just
need to get a feeling for which monsters have an unusually weak magic
resistance in relation to their threat level, and use scrolls of fear
in emergencies involving those monsters. One scroll of fear, properly
used, is generally worth 1-2 of the following set: !oHW, ?oT, ?oB. That
is, 1-2 of some of the most valuable consumables in the game.

> Jewellery
> g - a +3 ring of evasion
> m - an amulet of resist mutation (around neck)
> o - a ring of wizardry (left hand)
> s - a ring of sustenance

I might have swapped the wizardry for sustenance in your situation.
Wizardry only reduces failure rates; it doesn't boost power.
Sustenance, meanwhile, gives you a bit more control over the pace of
your game, and that, though subtle, is powerful.

Of course, =oF would trump =oSustenance in a jiffy, and =oMP probably
would, though it would be a tougher call than you might think.

> x - a +6 ring of strength
> z - a ring of sustain abilities
> J - an amulet of controlled flight
> N - a ring of invisibility
> S - a ring of protection from cold
> V - a ring of poison resistance (right hand)
> X - an amulet of controlled flight
> //Not a single ring of fire or even magical power...
[snip]
> Miscellaneous
> c - an air elemental fan
> B - a box of beasts
> //Found in the swamp

Never been much of a fan of miscellaneous items, but maybe I'm missing
something.

> //Please notice the complete and utter lack of magical staves...

:-(

> //I would have sold my
> //Spellbook of ... well, callings, for a staff of conjuration.
>
> You have 3 experience left.
>
> Skills:
> - Level 1 Short Blades
> - Level 1 Staves
> + Level 6 Dodging
> - Level 4 Stealth
> + Level 14 Spellcasting
> + Level 18 Conjurations
> + Level 14 Fire Magic
> + Level 7 Earth Magic
> //Should i train stealth the next time?

Once you're up and running in the spellcasting department, sure, but
not before then.

> You cannot memorise any spells.
> You know the following spells:
>
> Your Spells Type Success
> Level
> a - Lehudib's Crystal Spear Earth/Conjuration Very Good
8
> b - Iskenderun's Mystic Blast Conjuration Perfect
4
> c - Stone Arrow Earth/Conjuration Excellent
3
> e - Sticky Flame Fire/Conjuration Excellent
4
> f - Bolt of Fire Fire/Conjuration Excellent
5
> g - Bolt of Iron Earth/Conjuration Excellent
6
> h - Swiftness Air/Enchantment Great
2

If you'da used this a while earlier, you might've escaped. :)

> i - Repel Missiles Air/Enchantment Great
2
> j - Levitation Air/Enchantment Great
2

....especially in combination with this, which increases the effect of
Swiftness.

> k - Ozocubu's Armour Ice/Enchantment Very Good
3
> l - Selective Amnesia Enchantment Very Good
3
> //Just recently dumped magic dart, throw flame and a few other poor
> //spells in order to get Crystal spear. mm.. good spell.
> //Heavy on the MP and food however, so it didnt see much use.
> //Had to memorize Mystic Blast for those anoying insubstantial wisps.
> //Most used spell: Bolt of fire, hands down.

Not one single opportunity to learn Blink? With a bit of applying the
laws of probability, it's pretty Controlled in and of itself. It
could've taken the place of Stone Arrow, leaving one point free for,
uh... well, pretty much unspendable. Or it could have taken the place
of Mystic Blast, leaving 2 points to upgrade Sticky Flame to Fireball,
because "hit and run away" doesn't work very well in places where
everything else has more freedom of movement than you do. :)

[vanquished monsters]
Sizzle! Bang! Pop! Ka-BOOM! Zizz!

I *SO* love fire-based conjurers!

> Well. it was fun while it lasted. I think im pretty much burned out
on
> fire based conjurers for now (...). Any ideas on my next long lines
of
> corpses ending with a YASD? I was thinking of merfolk transmuters..

I heard Demonspawn Chaos Knights were selling well this time of year.
:)

"jonatan.hedborg@gmail.com" <jonatan.hedborg@gmail.com> wrote in message news:<1112086929.078534.249680@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>...

> Hello. I was planing on having my first post here a YAVP, but i now
> realize that that's not going to happen any time soon :)

Not too uncommon in Crawl, so don't feel too bad about it.

> This DECJ (is that the correct abrivation?) started out like many other
> characters, making his way down to the temple, starting his devoted
> worship to Vehumet (I used to worship, like many new mages, sif muna -
> but after trying out Vehumet there is no competition any more (I would
> probably pick him for his "enhance destructive spells" power alone))

Vehumet is the obvious choice for a conjurer. Sif Muna has some things
going for her, but once you have Selective Amnesia and find or get a
couple of powerful books there's no real competition.

> Any comments? A magical secret trick to prevent all future deaths?

Deep Elves are frail, even if they manage to gain a couple of levels
of Fighting. So, keep your distance, keep some means of getting away,
and learn which branches that are dangerous. (Or perhaps, more
dangerous.) And ways of detecting your enemies before they detect you
are very helpful.

Learn when to use last-resort means (Blink) and when _not_ to use them
- Blink, !HW, etc are limited in supply, and you can die, indirectly,
from using them when you needn't. There are alternatives that aren't
as obvious (Swiftness for instance) - learn how to use those.

> The hydra misses you.
> The hydra misses you.
> The hydra hits you!
> You die...
> //I have no idea how many heads this one had. I would guess 6.

A small one, then. ;)

> Strength 5 Dexterity 14 Intelligence 28
> Hit Points : -11/60 (dead) Magic Points : 5/37
> AC : 13 Evasion : 13 Shield : 0
> GP : 240 //Orcish mine was closed of. Didn't find any wands of didding.
>
> //Died in the swamp as you can see. pretty shoddy AC and EV i guess.
> //Died because i got overconfident. Obviously. My own fault, plain and
> simple.
> //let my MP go down to low, moved one step when i should have rested...

Death comes quick in Crawl when you're getting overconfident.

AC and EV are about what I would expect for a conjurer. The DESu I
killed off yesterday had AC13/EV15 (AC21 with Ozucobu's Armour).
Vehumet's Channel Energy ability is nifty if you're in a hurry to get
MPs back and have the food to spare.

> You are encumbered.

You should have put a few points into Strength. DEs have no problem
getting a high Spellcasting skill, and with Vehumet's aid you should
have no problems casting high-level spells. Str8/Int25 is preferable
to Str5/Int28.

> Scrolls
<snip list of scrolls>

Erik mentioned the Blink scrolls already, so I won't rub it in any
further. ;)

I usually stash things I don't need, especially valuable scrolls like
Blinking, Detect/Remove Curse, Enchant Armour etc. I second his
recommendation for L1 of the Lair, although I usually start my first
stash at the Temple and move it down later on.

> //Not a single ring of fire or even magical power...

=MP is overrated IMO. It's nice in the early game, but if you can't
take out something with 37MP you either a) are playing very badly or
b) should run away.

> c - an air elemental fan
> //Found in the swamp

I've never found a use for these. If they were tied to Evocations
instead of the elemental schools they could be a nice find for
non-magic users. As it is now, the characters with high enough
elemental skills can usually cast Summon Elemental themselves (and
they lack Evocations to make it reliable). This is from reading the
descriptions, so I might be wrong.

> - Level 1 Short Blades
> - Level 1 Staves
> + Level 6 Dodging
> - Level 4 Stealth
> + Level 14 Spellcasting
> + Level 18 Conjurations
> + Level 14 Fire Magic
> + Level 7 Earth Magic
> //Should i train stealth the next time?

I had L6 Stealth with my departed DESu mentioned above (L14, so
roughly the same level), and I think it helps. Since you can't train
it when you want I usually keep it turned on, and turn it off if I
want to train more important things or have it high enough.

A couple of levels of fighting is nice too - go beat up a couple of
plants when you have the XP to spare.

> Well. it was fun while it lasted. I think im pretty much burned out on
> fire based conjurers for now (...). Any ideas on my next long lines of
> corpses ending with a YASD? I was thinking of merfolk transmuters..

Summoners are fun, as are Air Elementalists, and they both play quite
different from Conjurers and Fire Elementalists, but not too
dissimilar.

Merfolk transmuters are fun too, and definitely one of the more
powerful classes once you get the hang of them. Once you get Spider
Form the early game becomes a lot easier, and Blade Hands is a lot of
fun. I've killed of at least 2 very promising MeTm, one of which would
probably have won if I hadn't made some stupid mistakes in Hell.

> /Jonatan Hedborg

Svensk?

/Johan

Erik Piper wrote:
> jonatan.hedborg@gmail.com wrote:
>> Hello.
>
> Hooray! Crawl traffic!
>
> Because (alas!) Crawl has not yet Taken Over The World and, indeed
> quite to the contrary, shares a newsgroup with several other
> roguelikes, it's considered good form to put "[Crawl]" in the subject
> line, thus my change to the subject line. (Don't let some other folks'
> laziness in the newsgroup fool you -- two wrongs don't make a right
> etc. etc.)

My my, it seemed so different a time ago. I remember when I posted my first
DoomRL post here it was preceeded with a chain of 20 Crawl posts :).
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)

On 29 Mar 2005 01:02:09 -0800, "jonatan.hedborg@gmail.com"
<jonatan.hedborg@gmail.com> wrote:

> {{{.{....D{.{{{{{{?.{..
> #{.{...@..{{#{{{{{{.{{{

>Lupus the Destroyer (Deep Elf)
>(Level 15 Conjurer)

Deep Elf Conjurers should not stand next to... well, much of anything.
Very weak creatures when trying to train a little fighting, but you
want to kill things at a distance.

> U - a +2 robe of fire resistance (worn)
>//Didnt find any decent armor
>Magical devices
> k - a wand of draining (9)
> C - a wand of teleportation (5)
> E - a wand of frost (16)
> M - a wand of flame (1)
> Q - a wand of slowing (7)
>//Nor wands...

Of the wands: slowing could have helped, but probably wouldn't have
been worth the turn(s) it took to try; draining can get some pretty
effective results, don't know if it'd have stopped the hydra, but
worth trying when out of magic points; the wand of teleportation could
have saved you.

>Scrolls
> F - 3 scrolls of blinking
> K - 4 scrolls of teleportation

And you had further escape potential here.

> P - 3 potions of speed

And more unused escape equipment.

R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

On 29 Mar 2005 03:00:32 -0800, "Erik Piper" <erik@sky.cz> wrote:

>Rule III: Always carry a scroll of blinking.
> Exception a: Arguably too valuable to carry in the Elven Halls.
> Sub-Exception i: Arguably too valuable *not* to carry in the Elven
>Halls.
> Exception b: Pointless in any place that prvents controlled
>teleportation.
> Exception c: Arguably pointless if you can cast Controlled Blink at
>"Very Good" or better. Arguably.

Addendum to Exception c: But only if you have enough sense to never,
ever wait until you have used up your magic points to flee.

R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

R. Dan Henry wrote:
> On 29 Mar 2005 03:00:32 -0800, "Erik Piper" <erik@sky.cz> wrote:
>
> >Rule III: Always carry a scroll of blinking.
> > Exception a: Arguably too valuable to carry in the Elven Halls.
> > Sub-Exception i: Arguably too valuable *not* to carry in the Elven
> >Halls.
> > Exception b: Pointless in any place that prvents controlled
> >teleportation.
> > Exception c: Arguably pointless if you can cast Controlled Blink at
> >"Very Good" or better. Arguably.
>
> Addendum to Exception c: But only if you have enough sense to never,
> ever wait until you have used up your magic points to flee.
>
> R. Dan Henry
> danhenry@inreach.com

Hmm... we could go on a lot further with these "rules to live by", I
think. I've always been interested in the thought of preparing a
strategy guide and/or a newbie guide, but that will have to wait until
the Bow Patch, which itself is, as some of you may have noticed, still
vaporware. :)

Some quick additions.

Rule IV: Never change clothes on an uncleared level. (Lost a "walking
tank" in the Crypt this way the day before yesterday. Start changing
clothes, skeletal warrior appears, whack whack whack whack whack still
changing clothes whack dead.)
Exception a: Having the level MOSTLY cleared and/or probed with
Detect Creatures will usually save you.
Sub-exception a: Unless something is generated near you while
you're changing, or something far away that you choose to ignore bumps
into a teleport trap. Et cetera.

Rule V: Never let beserking mode end in a tactical situation where
falling unconscious would kill you.

Rule VI: (Much less subtle than all of the above) the old standard,
when playing a spellcaster, never enter unknown terrain on less than a
full tank.

Any more?

Erik