Question My BIOS is not saving changes ?

Jun 27, 2022
Please help. Everytime I make a change in BIOS settings and saving it the PC is turning off and on 3 times before it boots up and doesn't save the settings that I've made.

P.S. I turned on my XMP and I manually changed processor frequency but it doesn't save. It is just turning on and off 3 times before it boots up.

Components:
Processor- Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard- Asrock B450 Steel Legend
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 16gb (3000mhz) (Dual stick)
Power Supply: Seasonic GX-650 Gold

Jun 27, 2022
Hello there! Haven't tried replacing the CMOS battery yet. I think my 2nd ram stick is faulty because I tried to only put that certain stick, the ram lights up but the PC itself kept on turning on and off.

Jun 27, 2022
Your bios does not like the changes you made.
The restart process tries to find a setting that will run.

My one ram stick seems to be the issue earlier. PC kept on turning off and on when that certain ram is plugged in but now I tried that ram stick again and everything is working fine. Could this be a motherboard issue?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You make changes. Save then boot up. Bios runs the new values, doesn't like them, tries 2x more times, still has an issue, so boots to last known good viable boot.

The issue is Not that bios isn't saving your changes, it is in fact saving them, the issue is that whatever changes you are making do not work, lead to unstable boot conditions, so bios tries 3x to boot, fails, and then reverts your changes back to something that does work.

Could be anything, even something as simple as setting xmp profile for an unsupported ram speed, incorrect xmp voltage for the motherboard etc. But having a single stick give errors right off the rip is guaranteed to bug out a bios, especially if you try xmp settings.

99% of the time it's not a motherboard issue, it's a user not installing the ram fully in the right slot issue or trying to set xmp profiles for high speed ram in A1/B1 slots.

What was the change you made?

If you have ram issues, test each stick individually with memtest. using default speeds.
It runs from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

If both sticks test ok, test them together.

Are both sticks from the same single kit?

If the ram is defective, return the kit.
G.Skil will have a lifetime warranty.

Reactions: Karadjgne
Jun 27, 2022
You make changes. Save then boot up. Bios runs the new values, doesn't like them, tries 2x more times, still has an issue, so boots to last known good viable boot.

The issue is Not that bios isn't saving your changes, it is in fact saving them, the issue is that whatever changes you are making do not work, lead to unstable boot conditions, so bios tries 3x to boot, fails, and then reverts your changes back to something that does work.

Could be anything, even something as simple as setting xmp profile for an unsupported ram speed, incorrect xmp voltage for the motherboard etc. But having a single stick give errors right off the rip is guaranteed to bug out a bios, especially if you try xmp settings.

99% of the time it's not a motherboard issue, it's a user not installing the ram fully in the right slot issue or trying to set xmp profiles for high speed ram in A1/B1 slots.
I also tried to change the frequency of my processor earlier in bios but it doesn't change. Now, everything works fine. Maybe a bios bug?