My computer doesn't recognize my mouse and its not listed in device mg

dmbaker63

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
please help.....I am using my keyboard to move my mouse keys and it really sucks. After a storm everything came out fine on my diagnostic check but my mouse doesn't work. I have tried several and nothing works. At first I thought it was a bent prong but not now. My keyboard has a usb port for a mouse but I don't want to go buy yet another mouse if there is something else I can do. I opened safe mode and at one point it did show up in device manager and I tried updating it but then I got a warning that it could move my keyboard so I canceled that and tried restarting my computer. After that device manager shows no mouse installed at all and of course my installation wizard didn't find it. I don't know how I can repair it if it doesn't show up at all????? Please help...I don't know how often I can get to this site but I can check my email so please someone...I would really appreciate it.

TechHelp

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Hey, I had the same problem,

After a storm, when i booted up my PC, the cursor was there but the mouse didn't work. I restarted, took off my comp and the same problem. The mouse wasn't in device manager either.

The great thing is, i solved it and YOU DON'T NEED TO BUY A NEW MOUSE.

While your computer is on (must be at a point during or after start up when the mouse cursor normally appears: Log in or Desktop)

Unplug ya mouse from your computer, and plug it back in. Then restart or reboot the computer.

This worked for me, should work for you.

(Take care when handling electronics when electricity is flowing through them, hands must be dry, and don't touch any metallic parts of the plug. If unsure, ask a professional to do it for you)

bye!

If it's a PS/2 mouse, you MUST power off the computer completely to get the mouse back. (Make sure it's plugged in, of course). If it's USB, then unplugging it and plugging it back in may work... or you can try a different USB port if it doesn't. (Plugging into a new port usually forces Windows to reinstall the driver).

Hailie

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Yes, you'll need to disconnect the mouse completely before rebooting and trying to get anymore life out of it. If the mouse is disappearing from your device manager, that would tend to suggest that there's a physical problem with the mouse itself. They're not expensive to replace, but try disconnecting and rebooting first!

zwijnstijn

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
I had that problem with my laptop , no matter what i did , i didnt get no mouse , so i bought another one from a different brand and it worked witout problems , seems some mouses / brands just have problems with win 2k , my laptop and my desktop , both have win2 k on it , and both have always problems with logiteck , if thats what you got ,l try another brand , its often better to spend 5 more bucks for a reliable one as to get the cheapest one in town LOL

nosuyleinad

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011

Yes I agree with you. But even a newly bought mouse wouldn't work. What do you think is the problem?

G

THANK YOU. This worked for me!!!!!!!!!!