My computer isn't running as well as it should, someone please help :\

Devastation20

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
Basically the title says it all, my computer isn't running games as well as it should.

Before you read I will give you my basic PC specs:

AMD Phenom II X6 2.7GHz
EVGA GTX 760 Superclocked 2GB
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866Mhz (Currently only running 1333Mhz because my POS mobo doesn't support 1866)
500W PSU
Foxconn 2AB1 Motherboard (POS mobo)

To start off I would like to say that I know ARMA 2 isn't optimized for crap, but this has to do with most games. My current CPU has 6 cores and is only running 2.7GHz, it is not a high end processor but it does get the job done well. I know the processor will bottleneck my graphics card but I cannot overclock it because my POS motherboard is a Foxconn 2AB1 that came with my HP computer and it does not allow any overclocking, but the mobo surprisingly came with 4 DIMM slots for dual channel memory (This was a Walmart HP computer to begin with before I started upgrading it btw, lol the only thing that is left from Walmart is the mobo and the case) and it came with 1x4 stick of 1333MHz, wierd huh, I would think they are on a super budget. Anyways, I have found an ASUS motherboard I am wanting to get along with liquid cooling or cooling that I can overclock this processor with without damaging it and a case to finally get rid of the Walmart feel in it lol. Sorry I'm getting a little off topic.

Now to the point, I'm running these specs, and my brother also has the same specs almost.
AMD Phenom II X6 2.7GHz
8GB 1333MHz ram
GTX 560 Ti 2GB
ASUS motherboard
650wat PSU

Those are his basic specs, so he is running the same processor, and ram as me, but he has a GTX 560 Ti, while I have a GTX 760 SC, and he has a decent motherboard and higher powersupply while my motherboard is a POS.

On a calculator my estimated power consumption for my computer is 470wats or so, since I only have a 500wat PSU I was hoping it would be sufficient enough for the time being. I am not seeing any side effects of not enough power being supplied like artifacts in my games, or games randomly crashing, or computer crashing/BSOD. So I am guessing that it is holding up fine for now.

So my brother has a weaker GPU but a better mobo and PSU. Here's the funny thing, he is running ARMA 2 smoothly, 30-40fps, maybe dropping down lower in the city into the 20's. I am running ARMA 2 20fps in the middle of nowhere where there are no cities, houses, just fields and some trees, I get 10 fps in the cities, and with all of this I am confused as hell. He also runs some other games better than me, while I can run some games better than him.

I also run 1360x768 (I'm on a TV) and he runs 1920x1080 on his monitor. Which is also a big difference.

So if hes running games better than me, with the same processor at the SAME CLOCK and the same ram at the same clock with a weaker graphics card but a better mobo and PSU, what is the problem? Would getting a new motherboard or PSU help me out? I really don't know what to do and I usually don't turn to forums for help but I'm desperate guys. :(

My CPU also doesn't run abnormally hot and my GPU runs as cool as the room temperature (I love it btw). I'm overclocking my processor when I get the new motherboard which could be weeks to months from now sadly enough, its whenever I can get to ordering it. Which overclocking with stock cooling can safely go up to around 3.2GHz and to 4GHz with aftermarket cooling, and I know that would increase my FPS and get rid of some problems but that doesn't explain my question.

Thanks for reading, sorry if I stretched too long or anything, I guess school has me used to stretching small things to big things because that's the only way to complete these school essays these days lol, I'm open to any suggestions.

Solution
Is possibly a Bottleneck, Check your CPU usuage when running the game, if its at 100%, and the gpu is like, what 15-50%, There you go, try slapping in your brothers GPU

Devastation20

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013

I have some experience with this stuff, but I never completely understood bottlenecking, if the CPU cant hold up to near as much as the GPU can, of course games will run worse, but how does this explain my brothers weaker graphics card running better than mine on the same processor? I'm confused, If thats the case I could underclock my card until I get the new mobo to solve this temporarily right?

Xyloriuphon

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

Okay, Think of it like, You have a traffic jam, And, you are in a Lambo, Now, your going as fast as the guy infront of you, but, you cant really go any fast, Thats basically a bottleneck, now, Im not much of an AMD guy, but if im right, your CPU is probably to slow for your GPU, So, having something super fast, running on something super slow, Will only go as fast as the slowest part, or worse...

Devastation20

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013

Yes I understand that, but it doesn't explain why my brother can get twice the frames with a weaker card and same specs. I'm sure the bottleneck wouldn't affect it to that bad of a point would it?

Xyloriuphon

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

It can, but, As i said, Im not that much of a AMD geek, So, depending on how far apart in performance wise the cpu is from the GPU, it could happen....

Judging on my knowledge, and quick research, it seems like the Phenom is a older processor, and the 760 card is quite a new one, So, as i said, I will need backup on my knowledge from a AMD geek... Sorry about that.. Hopefully it makes sense...

Basically, Lets say, Since a computer can only run as fast as the CPU, and, Since, your brother has a weaker card, it can stay balanced, Pushing his PC faster then your CPU stressing itself out, If its even, You have better frames, and its more stable...