Question My computer shuts off when I play games ?

Apr 28, 2023
Hello!
As the title says my computer shuts off when i game, but only under a very specific cenario... My computer only shuts off when the game i play either gets very high fps or when the scene that the GPU is trying to process (100% power GPU) is too great. E.g. when i play Stalker: GAMMA on my computer and i have settings that give me ~40-50 fps the computer will never turn off no matter how long i play for, but, if the settings are perfect and i get ~90-100 fps, the game will run for about 15 minutes before the computer shuts off.

One intresting thing is that when i try to turn the computer on again, no matter how many times I press the power button on the top of my computer, it won't turn on. But if I turn off the power supply for 5 sec then turn it on, the computer starts right up!

Specs:
AMD ryzen 3700x
MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3060 TI VISION OC
16 GB RAM (corsair lpx vengance - 3600 MHz)
750W PSU (I think it's a corsair CM750?)
DeepCool gammax L240

I built this computer in 2019, but it has been upgraded since then (GPU, PSU, watercooler, CPU).

Before the upgrades I lived at home with my parents (I was 15) but have since moved out. My new appartement has kinda shady electrical outlets (mabye the problem?) but I'm not sure what that problem would be.

For those of you thinking this might be a thermal problem I can assure you that I've run extensive tests with every single piece of software and can tell you that my GPU NEVER goes above 60 centigrade (140 F)and my CPU NEVER goes above 70 centigrade (158 F).

I think the problem has something to do with the power supply, why? Well after my PC shuts down I feel on the underside and back of the PSU and it's warm to the touch but the things I don't understand are:
1. The PSU is only 8 months old.​
2. The PSU has it's fan pointing downwards and has nothing blocking it's airflow (my desk has a grill on where my PC stands).​
3. The wattage of my computer is also calculated and 750W should be more than enough.​

If anyone know what this problem might be related to please feel free to post a reply, any advice is greatly appreciated!!

/Adam

Apr 28, 2023
I'm having almost the exact same issue all of the sudden. I'm told my PSU is the issue. Needs more wattage.
I got tired of my pc turning off all the time so i experimented with lots of stuff and have found a sollution that doesn't require me to buy a new PSU. The only thing I did to "fix" it was that I started underpowering my GPU by limiting the power to 75%, which seems to have solved the problem.

D

Deleted member 2947362

Hate to say it but test a better PSU model

Your system is not that powerful and I would of thought the current PSU should be ok but it's just worth a try.

It could even be driver issues try down grading drivers and test it could be 1 of many things you just have keep trying everything until hopeful you stumble across it because sound like you tried most things so nothing else to lose.

D

Deleted member 2947362

How many amps does your PSU have on it's 12V rail ?
How many amps does the CPU an GPU combined draw and need?
can the current PSU sustain the amps being drawn ?

These are some of the things you also need to consider when buying a PSU for your build.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I got tired of my pc turning off all the time so i experimented with lots of stuff and have found a sollution that doesn't require me to buy a new PSU. The only thing I did to "fix" it was that I started underpowering my GPU by limiting the power to 75%, which seems to have solved the problem.
If you had to flip the switch on the power supply then it's tripping a safety.
Buy a good power supply with adequate power.