My computer stopped working during a storm so I replaced the power supply but no

cycah613

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Hi everyone!

I'm not very computer savvy so any help would be greatly appreciated!!! But please explain in very simple language. I just installed a new power supply, and everything seems to be running fine. the fans work, but the monitor has no picture, nothing just a black screen and the light swittches to the stand by light. please help me!!! I have an old compaq like 2000 maybe. thanks

Try removing the motherboard battery; turn off the system; unplug the ps at the back; pry gently the tang that holds the battery down until it pops up enough to remove it for a few seconds; reinstall the battery. If the system still won't post, the storm may have taken out the motherboard or cpu; hard to say which, but my money's on the board. If the system posts, you'll have to press a key to enter the bios, check the boot order (cd or hardrive first), save and exit. It's pretty simple.

Another thing to try, if you have a modem fitted and connected to your phone line remove the modem from the computer and see if it boots up.
When you fitted the new power supply you did remember to fit the 4 pin connector (this is a very common mistake).

cycah613

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

so if the system doesnt boot that means its the motherboard? I took out the batteria put it back in and nothing the light comes on, on the computer but it does nothing on the screen and I tested the moniter on my laptop and it worked fine so I know its not that. I think I've taken everything out that I could and put it back but still nothing.

redneck_savant5

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
is the new power supply working? Sometimes you get a dud. you can check the power supply with a paperclip - google that and you'll get youtube videos demonstrating how to check computer power supply.

The first question a tech support guy would ask is "is it plugged in". By that i mean, check all power connections - go to your motherboard site and make sure you have put the right power connectors on to the right places. You might, for example, have neglected to connect the secondary motherboard power supply, or a mb controlled fan power supply.

When you boot your computer with the video cable properly connected to a monitor that has power - even with no hard drive you should hear a single beep, the sys power led on the motherboard should light up (if your mb has it - most do now), and the bios messages should post to your monitor. You should then get your MB messages that state the bios version and the option to display the post screen (on mine it's press the tab key to watch the bios startup processes) - if you aren't seeing the bios (software loaded permanently on your motherboard) post up when you boot then there's either a problem with your monitor, the motherboard, the power supply, or the power switch.

If you weren't properly grounded against static, you could have inadvertently fried your motherboard as you plugged stuff in. You could also crack the mobo if you pushed too hard - dont wiggle as you insert plugs - pull straight in and out.

The above tip to remove the battery is a good one on some modern motherboards. Some mbs detect power surges and can shut down to protect the system. On these mobos, when you have a surge, they run a routine that shuts the system down and prevents it from getting power. This routine will continue as long as the bios has backup power (the motherboard battery powers your system clock and things like that when you power the computer down, you have to physically remove it to reset these things if your computer wont boot.)