Question My cpu fan is loud and i have no idea whats causing it. Is it the fan its self

Darkshock

Honorable
Feb 27, 2017
a month ago, i built a pc from used parts that my friend gave me and recenty, my cpu fan is loud. It didnt do this until receny and i barely used the thing since i was out a monitor. How it used to vo is its loud forna few seco ds on startup but now its nonstop. I did connect it to the in the living room. And it was working perfectly fine. I tried replacing the cmos battery and i tried cleaning the fan. I know its tbe cpu because my gpu fan doesnt spin unless i play a more demanding game like doom. I even unplugged it and surely enough, it was the loudest thing in my machine. that was the loudest thing The fan im using is one of those fans that oem manufacturers give you. If your giving them somthing other than stock, give them a decent one like the classic hyper 212 evo. Anyways is

Last edited:
Does the cooler look like this?
intelC2Dstock_pspc.jpg

Would you say the fan noise is a result of the fan spinning faster. Or is it a more disruptive grinding/clicking sound?

Have you used something like HWMonitor to check your CPU temps?

If you are going to replace. Please provide current:
CPU
Case
Country

Darkshock

Honorable
Feb 27, 2017
intelC2Dstock_pspc.jpg

Would you say the fan noise is a result of the fan spinning faster. Or is it a more disruptive grinding/clicking sound?

CPU
Case
Country
intelC2Dstock_pspc.jpg

CPU
Case
Country
Thats not the cooler. Its one that you find in a prebuild at the big box store thats actually screwed down to the mobo or your cpu fan died so youbwanted a super cheap way to fix it. It came from my friends old computer as did all the core parts. The psu, case, and hdd i bought myself. it doesnt use the old mobo since its from an alienware X51. My case is a masterbox 5 rgb. The rgb on the fans doesnt work since its an older mobo without rgb headers. I also live in america.

Darkshock

Honorable
Feb 27, 2017
What CPU do you have.
Can you share a picture of what the cooler looks like. It may be that you just buy a new fan and don't need to replace the entire heatsink.
i have an i7 4770
What CPU do you have.
Can you share a picture of what the cooler looks like. It may be that you just buy a new fan and don't need to replace the entire heatsink.
i have an i7 4770 and im using noctua nt-h1https://imgur.com/a/t06N6Jz

I think what he is saying is that the fan is normally loud on post, but once it boots with windows 10, the speed is regulated down and it becomes quieter. It seems like the fan is running at full speed and is not being controlled by the UEFI/software. Have you tried going into the UEFI and looking at the fan controls?