[SOLVED] My CPU is underperforming and idk what to do...

Jul 3, 2019
So yesterday I was playing CoD Warzone with some friends, and right as we get our first win, my monitor goes dark. My PC is working, sound is there, just the monitor goes dark and my friends can't hear me for some reason. So I check the HDMI cable, restart the PC etc. But nothing works. I just leave it to cool down as I didn't know what else to do, and when I booted it up, it worked again.

That is, until I ran CS:GO. Catastrophe hit, as from the usual 275-300 fps i see 50-100 fps and I go into full panic mode. I update drivers, set my GPU from OC to Gaming Mode, I use Wise Memory Optimizer for the RAM, check the SSD with Samsung Magician, I stress test and check the temperatures and usage of the GPU and CPU. Everything is ok. I don't know what's happening. I run a few more games, AC Origins, CoD MW, AC4, The Division 2, and I notice that in those games, the fps just went down slightly, which by using my logic, tells me that it's a CPU problem, since CS:GO is a CPU dependent game, and the fps on the other games was slightly impacted. I need help. It's my first build and I am panicking.

GPU: Asus RX 580 4GB
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x OCd to 3.9 Ghz
RAM: HyperX 16GB 3200Mhz
MB: Asus TUF B450 GAMING PLUS
PSU: Coolermaster MWE 750 Bronze V2

Nothing like this has ever happened. If I could give you any more info please comment. I just want to get this resolved!

Solution
From my humble understanding, having a R7 2700X which should be capable of going up to 4.3GHz on a single core (under the right condition), I really don't see a point to OC to 3.9GHz to play games like CS:GO that should work better with the boost algorithm left alone.

Also you didn't mention what kind of CPU cooler you have?

What I would do is the following:

1. Write down and/or save your current OC profile.
  2. Reset BIOS to optimized/normal default settings, save and reset the PC. (If you wana make sure BIOS was set back to "normal", turn off the PC after step 2 and remove the CMOS battery for 5 mins)
  3. Put the battery back in.
  4. Enter to BIOS and restore/reset to optimized default setting again, "save and reset" the PC...
So cpu and gpu temps are normal correct?

Does CS:GO start with 300fps or does it start now with 100 fps or just decearsing over playing time?
I would remove the CPU OC (3.9 on a Ryzen 7 2700x makes little sense as the boost clock goes much higher to 4.3 !!!) and go back to default settings and see where you are.

Leave the RAM on xmp and if there is no improvement then disable. 1 step at a time until we find the culprit !!!

From my humble understanding, having a R7 2700X which should be capable of going up to 4.3GHz on a single core (under the right condition), I really don't see a point to OC to 3.9GHz to play games like CS:GO that should work better with the boost algorithm left alone.

2. Reset BIOS to optimized/normal default settings, save and reset the PC. (If you wana make sure BIOS was set back to "normal", turn off the PC after step 2 and remove the CMOS battery for 5 mins)
  4. Enter to BIOS and restore/reset to optimized default setting again, "save and reset" the PC.
  5. Let the PC boot into Windows normally.
  6. Check CPU temps while gaming for 20 mins using something like hwinfo64 bits (portable-sensors only) or Ryzen Master.
  7. If everything works fine (temp and FPS - FPs wont be as high as usual since the RAM XMP profile was not set yet), restart the PC, go back to BIOS and enable the RAM XMP profile to make it run at the right speed.
  8. Check temps and FPS again.
  9. If fverything went back to normal enjoy.
PD: If you OC again, make sure to check the temps, not only CPU but the VRM temps (hwinfo shows this info, keep in mind that the Asus TUF B450 does not have a great VRM configuration so it needs a good airflow inside the Case to keep it cool.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Solution
Jul 3, 2019
So cpu and gpu temps are normal correct?

Does CS:GO start with 300fps or does it start now with 100 fps or just decearsing over playing time?
I would remove the CPU OC (3.9 on a Ryzen 7 2700x makes little sense as the boost clock goes much higher to 4.3 !!!) and go back to default settings and see where you are.

Leave the RAM on xmp and if there is no improvement then disable. 1 step at a time until we find the culprit !!!
It just plain starts with 50-100 fps. I removed the OC and it's still the same. How do I do that to my RAM? XMP?

Jul 3, 2019

4. Enter to BIOS and restore/reset to optimized default setting again, "save and reset" the PC.
  5. Let the PC boot into Windows normally.
  6. Check CPU temps while gaming for 20 mins using something like hwinfo64 bits (portable-sensors only) or Ryzen Master.
  7. If everything works fine (temp and FPS - FPs wont be as high as usual since the RAM XMP profile was not set yet), restart the PC, go back to BIOS and enable the RAM XMP profile to make it run at the right speed.
  8. Check temps and FPS again.
  9. If fverything went back to normal enjoy.
PD: If you OC again, make sure to check the temps, not only CPU but the VRM temps (hwinfo shows this info, keep in mind that the Asus TUF B450 does not have a great VRM configuration so it needs a good airflow inside the Case to keep it cool.

Cheers.
Ok, so I reset the BIOS, no change. The temps are normal really, 70-75 degrees. I'll look up how to change the XMP. Will get back to you. While we're here, why does the amount of RAM I have and it's speed vary from app to app? It's really stressful to see that it says 2400Mhz when I have 3200Mhz...

XMP or DOCP is the auto OC for RAM in Bios, your RAM should not be changing speed like that. It will be on the AI tweaker side of Bios in your Mobo right at the top, switch it on as I get the feeling it was never on ;-) See what that does with stable RAM speed.

The RAM amount should always be the same at 16gb. The speed is 1200 in dual channel =2400 so that could well cause issues as that is slow your cpu. Is 16gb showing in your windows sytem info?

Reactions: RodroX
Ok, so I reset the BIOS, no change. The temps are normal really, 70-75 degrees. I'll look up how to change the XMP. Will get back to you. While we're here, why does the amount of RAM I have and it's speed vary from app to app? It's really stressful to see that it says 2400Mhz when I have 3200Mhz...

Are those 70~75°C on idle?, or after playing a game for atleast 20 mins?.

Once again, we still don't know what cpu cooler you have.

And yes as Schlachtwolf, once you enable XMP/DOCP in BIOS the monitoring programs (Ryzen Master, HWinfo, CPU-Z, others are not very accurate) should show your RAM is working at 3200MHz.
Then again I don't think loosing 200 FPS in CS:GO is cause of the memory XMP profile is disable.

Jul 3, 2019
Are those 70~75°C on idle?, or after playing a game for atleast 20 mins?.

Once again, we still don't know what cpu cooler you have.

And yes as Schlachtwolf, once you enable XMP/DOCP in BIOS the monitoring programs (Ryzen Master, HWinfo, CPU-Z, others are not very accurate) should show your RAM is working at 3200MHz.
Then again I don't think loosing 200 FPS in CS:GO is cause of the memory XMP profile is disable.
After playing a game. On idle it's 35-40 degrees. And I have the stock AMD cooler if that helps.

Jul 3, 2019
XMP or DOCP is the auto OC for RAM in Bios, your RAM should not be changing speed like that. It will be on the AI tweaker side of Bios in your Mobo right at the top, switch it on as I get the feeling it was never on ;-) See what that does with stable RAM speed.

The RAM amount should always be the same at 16gb. The speed is 1200 in dual channel =2400 so that could well cause issues as that is slow your cpu. Is 16gb showing in your windows sytem info?
I already tried both profiles. When running both profiles, my pc didn't even turn on. It turned on in safe mode. Profile 1 is 3000Mhz and Profile 2 is 3200Mhz. Idk wtf is happening!

Is your ram seated in the correct lanes, right from chipset lanes 2 and 4. Run Windows Memory test and see if it shows a conflict. Looks like a RAM/Mobo issue if at higher clocks it won't even post.

The 450f mobo should do 3000hrz no worrys, I had one with my other 2700x and it was fine. The stock cooler is not an issue as it is pretty good and your temps are in the greenzone.

I feel your pain, disappointment and frustration.... remember your PC worked and it will work again...... chin up !!

Reactions: RodroX
Jul 3, 2019
Is your ram seated in the correct lanes, right from chipset lanes 2 and 4. Run Windows Memory test and see if it shows a conflict. Looks like a RAM/Mobo issue if at higher clocks it won't even post.

The 450f mobo should do 3000hrz no worrys, I had one with my other 2700x and it was fine. The stock cooler is not an issue as it is pretty good and your temps are in the greenzone.

I feel your pain, disappointment and frustration.... remember your PC worked and it will work again...... chin up !!
Ok so, I did everything. I tried the DOCP thing multiple times to no avail. So I started simple. I went into Ryzen Master and set my CPU to the stock speeds. Also, and idk if at all this was part of the problem, I reset all of my AMD Radeon Software settings and set them to Gaming settings which are settings set up from AMD with ease so I don't have to worry about screwing <Mod Edit> and I'm so thankful for that. It worked. And since I tested the game after each change, turns out, my stupid ass was looking at the wrong component. The GPU was <Mod Edit> up. IDK what I did, I didn't even <Mod Edit> with the Radeon Software settings that much in recent days, but I will not even think about touching them. Thanks for helping! Have a nice day!

Last edited by a moderator: