Question my cpu isnt running on its overclock or task manager is wrong

so i have my ryzen 7 2700x overclocked on 4.2ghz all cores on 1.3875v for some months now but when this week i looked multiple times at task manager and it says it runs at 3.68ghz while i also saw multiple times my cpu ranned at 4.2ghz.
is this just a glitch or did i do something wrong because my cpu isnt thermal trotteling either.

Mar 3, 2021
CPU-Z is freeware and is one of the best tools for accurately getting CPU info. If you want to monitor temps, I'd suggest HWmonitor which is actually developed by the same company. Hope that helps!

For Ryzen processors in particular, and the AM4 platform in general, HWInfo64 is by far the best tool going. You can even right click on any sensor read out and great a small graph on the desktop to monitor it over time. That's great for comparing core temp to core power to see whether the CPU is really getting hot with tiny temp spikes as it boosts.

HWMonitor is oftentimes inaccurate for Ryzen systems. Task Manager is good for watching system activity on a level relative to the OS, but not hardware. It's CPU clock speed is so strange that I've never really understood what it's trying to convey.

Last edited: