[SOLVED] My CPU only shows 1 Core 2 threads

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020
Hi! I bought a computer with an i3 3220 which is supposed to be a two core, fourth thread CPU. I have already tried to go into msconfig and change it, to no avail. My motherboard is a Foxconn 2ABF and from what I cant tell has no bios. Would it fix itself if I buy a new CPU or would the M/b still limit it? Is there a fix for this? Thanks in advance!

Solution
Foxconn 2ABF and from what I cant tell has no bios.

The board will have a BIOS, it has to have a BIOS.

Appears that board came out of an HP system.

First of all, I'd look to clear the CMOS. If you cannot access the BIOS (likely F10 for an HP OEM system), then you could remove the CMOS battery for 10mins. Looks like it's located to the top-right of the motherboard.

Some (most?) BIOS have an option to disable cores. Whether you have the option on that board and exactly where you'd find it in the BIOS, I'm not sure - and it may even vary by BIOS version, but it would make sense that somehow a core has been disabled.

Clearing the CMOS or "loading optimized defaults" in the BIOS should achieve the result without having to...

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020
"I have already tried to go into msconfig and change it, to no avail. "

The only thing you can do in msconfig is to reduce the available processors.
By default, that box is Unchecked. This leaves all procs/cores in that CPU in play.

Leave that box alone.
Well upon looking at it, it has an option for either 1 core or 2 cores, but it automatically chooses 1 core. Is there a way for me to send a picture to show what I see?

USAFRet

Titan
This is from my i7-4790k (4 core/8 thread):
eJukHzR.png

Yours will look exactly the same.
This is the default.

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020
Seeing as this is an 8 year old CPU that was low end when it was new, I wouldn't put any money into this.
Well the plan is to buy an i7 3770k, (I know this is still low end), but I'm worried that ill have the same issue. According to Cenebench R15 an i3 3220 should get 295 on a multicore test, but seeing as mine only registers one core I get a score of 144, which is still above the one core average according to this website.
View: https://imgur.com/a/2SHTLdu