Question My CPU temps are extremely high lately and I can't figure out why ?

Jul 22, 2024
Laptop model: ASUS Vivobook Q540VJ
CPU: Intel i9 13th gen
GPU: 3050

After a motherboard replacement from bestbuy, lately my cpu temps have been a lot higher and I can't figure out what could be happening. In general use it will be 60 - 70 Celsius but sometimes it will rise to 80 occasionally and when booting it will almost hit 90 celcius.

Its very different from how it was when I bought it 7 months ago, usually hitting max 70 Celsius and in rare cases going above that. The gpu also seems to be a bit warmer but not by much so its not a problem.
I repasted the cpu and noticed a slight drop in temperature but not a lot still hitting 75 - 80 Celsius while gaming, There is pretty much no dust in the laptop at all and fans are working properly.
I don't know what to try next.

Hey there,

still hitting 75 - 80 Celsius
This is pretty normal. Nearly all gaming laptops run hot. I've not come across one that doesn't fire the fans up to full after hitting 80c while gaming. But, 80c at gaming load isn't bad at all.

Start up temp max is pretty normal too. The CPU works hard enough at startup to load all the services/start up apps, monitoring software or the like.

Unless the CPU is throttling, or performance is less than before, then I think you're in the right ball park. Plus you've a 13900HX. It's a powerful laptop chip, and it gets warm, for sure.