[SOLVED] My desktop performs 2-3 reboots upon launching and resets the BIOS after successfully rebooting. Never occured before

Alex Mck

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
I recently decided to turn on my PC after 3-months of no use (during those three months, it was stored away and not plugged into any electrical outlet) however as the system started it very quickly shut itself down and then rebooted itself - for whatever reason the system now always performs between 2 and 3 reboots before I hit any interactive screen such as the BIOS.

Once the system finished rebooting I'm always hit with the following screen: (This is the screen I get but this screenshot isn't of my PC)
T7tGW.jpg

From there I can see my BIOS is reset to default time 0:00 and some date like 2013. I then also see that my express port for my M.2 SSD isn't enabled
due to the BIOS being reset back to default. This poses another problem as my OS is on my M.2 and if I don't manually enable it in the BIOS after ever reset I get taken to an "Automatic Repair" blue screen where all the options result in an error as windows 10 is scratching its head as to where its OS is in the other drives. However, if I do go through the motions of fixing the bios each time it works perfectly. However, it automatically reboots again (2-3 times) but the BIOS is saved and I can operate the PC... that is until I shut it down and then I have to repeat the 2-3 reboots and BIOS setting changes, press save, reboot 2-3 times..then works rinse repeat However on the odd occasion it works without changing the BIOS e.g. 1/10 restarts

Even if I set the M.2 drive as the #1 proposed boot drive and specifically tell the BIOS that the M.2. contains the BIOS which in the past worked perfectly.

TLDR; If I want to play games I have to turn on my pc let it reboot 2-3 times go in BIOS setting change stuff due to it resetting then play - however, if I were to shut it down I would need to repeat the above process again. Big sad ;(

Hardware:
MOBO
: Asus Maximus VII Hero
CPU: i7-4790k
PSU: Corsair 80 Plus Platinum AX860i
RAM: 16GB 1866Mhz
GPU: GTX780 ti
WIFI Adapter: ASUS PCE-AC88 Wireless AC3100 Dual-Band PCI-E Adapter

Storage:
M.2 SSD 500GB Samsung (Stores the OS)
Multiple 1TB and 2TB Drives

Note:
I haven't upgraded or changed anything to the PC in 10 months with the change being a network adapter to use WIFI (ASUS PCE-AC88 Wireless AC3100 Dual-Band PCI-E Adapter)

I believe it may be due to a faulty MOBO or perhaps a PSU however I'm not sure and I wanted to get a second opinion. If anyone has any advice it would be more then welcome :D

Last edited:
Solution
try replacing the cmos battery since it forgets bios settings when restarted.

Its likely it drained itself while PC was in storage.