[SOLVED] My ethernet cable with my pc doesn't work as well as my laptop with the same ethernet cable

Jan 30, 2021
I have had this problem from the day I got my pc. Both my download speed and upload speed are super low at around 17 Mbps. It seems like it's being limited by something. For example, when I try to download games from battle.net, steam... I can only reach a maximum of 2MB/s but strangely 10MB/s on epicgames all the time. While my ethernet setting says the speed is 100 Mbps I wouldn't even get to see the final result of the ookla speedtest because of it just completely stop at the upload speed part saying 3Mbps. My laptop with the same ethernet cable does around 95 Mbps on both download and upload speed.
I think it might be the ethernet cable port of my motherboard that's broken but I'm not too sure. Please let me know if you have any idea or if you need any more information.

Solution
Then it is more likely it is some software than the cable or the port on your motherboard.

Since speedtest site has issues first try a different web browser like firefox. Next you can try a linux usb boot image. This will run from the USB stick and not be affected by your windows install or any other software. It will test eliminate all the hardware as the problem except maybe the disk drive since it does not touch that.
It is not likely it is the port and can't really be fixed if it is.
Some devices tolerate a defective cable better than others. It can be as simple as a wire internally got slightly loose or maybe there so other very minor damage to one of the pins.

It is much cheaper to try a new cable than anything else. Be sure to avoid all the fake cables being sold. You want pure copper wire (no cca) with wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cables). Cat5e is good enough and will run gigabit other cables just cost more and will provide you no benefit.

Jan 30, 2021
My problem is it would work perfectly fine with epicgames but limited to a very low speed with others like chrome and steam so I dont think the cable is the issue.
Edit: could it be the gamefirst V software that causes this? I don't really know much

Then it is more likely it is some software than the cable or the port on your motherboard.

Since speedtest site has issues first try a different web browser like firefox. Next you can try a linux usb boot image. This will run from the USB stick and not be affected by your windows install or any other software. It will test eliminate all the hardware as the problem except maybe the disk drive since it does not touch that.

Solution
Jan 30, 2021
I found the problem 2 days ago it was the gamefirst V software I had no idea it was a network control software and turns out it was limiting my network

Yup if you have even mentioned any of those stupid QoS gamer things I would have guessed it was that.

This software is one of the dumbest things I have seen in many years. It can do absolutely nothing to impact traffic or prioritize traffic outside the machine. What is left is prioritizing traffic inside the machine. I can't see any valid situation that would ever need this. It would be for someone who just can't resist running his torrents in back ground while he plays games I guess. If all you are running on the machine is software related to the game there is nothing to prioritize and if you are running other software there are many other resources it can consume other than the just the network. I would be more worried about cpu or maybe disk before I worried about network over utilization.