Build Advice My first build. Working with RTX 3080 and an i9. Need suggestions to improve the build and choose the right motherboard ?

Dec 15, 2022
First time building a machine. Also, looking to future-proof my build. Have started from the GPU.
I have already bought RTX 3080 and Crucial P2 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD (not the exact SSD from my build list).
Really need help to see if the others are optimal selections.

Especially the motherboard. I thought motherboards don't have to be over the board (no pun intended) in terms of price. It just needs WiFi and should support other parts including my DDR5 RAM.

Please take a look at my build and give suggestions.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/RickyRickC137/saved/#view=4j2t3C

Cheers

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Purpose of the build not listed.
2)Don't see a case listed.
3)Cpu cooler too small, even if we don't know the purpose of the build.
4)An i9 KS on a B660? Surely, if spending this kind of money, you're getting a Z690/790...
5)Aim for a 6000mhz ram kit.
6)Can do better on the psu. Try Corsair RM850X.

Reactions: RickyRickC137
Dec 15, 2022
4)An i9 KS on a B660? Surely, if spending this kind of money, you're getting a Z690/790...

1. Gaming. If possible, run Stable diffusion like AIs.
  2. Updated.
  3. Can you recommend a better CPU cooler?
  4. Updated.
  5. Any recommendations?
  6. Updated.

Thank you.

With that budget and your primary uses I'd make these changes.

Excellent case that was just recently released.

https://www.newegg.com/p/2AM-000Z-000A7
LIAN LI LANCOOL 216 X Black Computer Case $99.90

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lian-li-lancool-216-review

B760 board due for release January 3rd. You should be able to grab a decent one for around $200. Here's an example of one of those boards.

https://www.techpowerup.com/302215/msis-b760-mag-tomahawk-pictured-ahead-of-official-launch

i7 13700 / 13700F due for release January 3rd. $350 if I had to guess.

CPU cooler for that upcoming i7.

https://www.newegg.com/deepcool-gammaxx-ag620/p/N82E16835856214
DeepCool AG620 Dual-Tower CPU Cooler $42.99

https://www.deepcool.com/products/C...-AG620-Dual-Tower-CPU-Cooler/2022/15900.shtml

RAM that won't slow you down.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb/p/N82E16820374430
G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series DDR5 6000 32GB (2x16GB) CL36 $149.99

shengton

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
First time building a machine. Also, looking to future-proof my build. Have started from the GPU.
I have already bought RTX 3080 and Crucial P2 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD (not the exact SSD from my build list).
Really need help to see if the others are optimal selections.

Especially the motherboard. I thought motherboards don't have to be over the board (no pun intended) in terms of price. It just needs WiFi and should support other parts including my DDR5 RAM.

Please take a look at my build and give suggestions.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/RickyRickC137/saved/#view=4j2t3C

Cheers
It looks like you have a solid build list overall. Here are a few suggestions for your consideration:
  1. Motherboard: The Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master is a good motherboard and should be compatible with your other components, including the RTX 3080 and DDR5 RAM. However, you may want to consider a motherboard with a more recent chipset, such as the B560 or Z590, if you are looking to future-proof your build. These newer chipsets offer support for the latest processors, including those with PCIe 4.0 support.
  2. CPU: The AMD Ryzen 7 5800X is a solid choice for a CPU and should be more than sufficient for most tasks. If you are planning on doing a lot of heavy multitasking or video editing, you may want to consider a higher-end CPU with more cores, such as the Ryzen 9 5900X or 5950X.
  3. Memory: The Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 16GB (2x8GB) memory kit you have selected is DDR4, not DDR5. DDR5 RAM is not yet widely available and is not supported by any current CPUs or motherboards. You will need to select a DDR4 memory kit for your build.
  4. Storage: The Crucial P2 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD is a good choice for your main storage drive. You may also want to consider adding a secondary storage drive, such as a hard drive or additional SSD, for storing larger files such as video files or game installations.
  5. Case: The Phanteks Eclipse P400A is a good mid-range case and should work well with your other components. You may want to consider adding additional fans or a liquid cooling system if you are planning on overclocking your CPU or GPU or if you live in a particularly hot climate.
I hope these suggestions are helpful.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Gaming. If possible, run Stable diffusion like AIs.
Can you recommend a better CPU cooler?
Not familiar with that 2nd task, but if it's any kind of all core workload, you're pretty much pigeonholed to a 360 or 420mm AIO/CLC...
i9 Alder/Raptor pull much power when power limits are set to 'unlimited' and all cores are loaded.

Any recommendations for ram?
Not particularly.
This: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Xs...ddr5-6000-cl36-memory-f5-6000j3636f16gx2-rs5k
or this: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gf...ddr5-6000-cl36-memory-f5-6000j3636f16ga2-tz5k

Why_Me provided a better case option.

It looks like you have a solid build list overall. Here are a few suggestions for your consideration:
  1. Motherboard: The Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master is a good motherboard and should be compatible with your other components, including the RTX 3080 and DDR5 RAM. However, you may want to consider a motherboard with a more recent chipset, such as the B560 or Z590, if you are looking to future-proof your build. These newer chipsets offer support for the latest processors, including those with PCIe 4.0 support.
  2. CPU: The AMD Ryzen 7 5800X is a solid choice for a CPU and should be more than sufficient for most tasks. If you are planning on doing a lot of heavy multitasking or video editing, you may want to consider a higher-end CPU with more cores, such as the Ryzen 9 5900X or 5950X.
  3. Memory: The Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 16GB (2x8GB) memory kit you have selected is DDR4, not DDR5. DDR5 RAM is not yet widely available and is not supported by any current CPUs or motherboards. You will need to select a DDR4 memory kit for your build.
  4. Storage: The Crucial P2 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD is a good choice for your main storage drive. You may also want to consider adding a secondary storage drive, such as a hard drive or additional SSD, for storing larger files such as video files or game installations.
  5. Case: The Phanteks Eclipse P400A is a good mid-range case and should work well with your other components. You may want to consider adding additional fans or a liquid cooling system if you are planning on overclocking your CPU or GPU or if you live in a particularly hot climate.
I hope these suggestions are helpful.
What the h3ll?

shengton

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Where to start. First off no B550 board nor any Ryzen 5000 series cpu's support DDR5. Secondly the OP posted DDR5 ... not DDR4 .... there's more but that gives you an idea.
You are correct that neither B550 motherboards nor any of the Ryzen 5000 series CPUs support DDR5 memory. DDR5 is a new type of memory that has not yet been released for use in consumer computers. It is expected to become available in the near future, but at this time, the only type of memory supported by B550 motherboards and Ryzen 5000 series CPUs is DDR4.

I apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

You are correct that neither B550 motherboards nor any of the Ryzen 5000 series CPUs support DDR5 memory. DDR5 is a new type of memory that has not yet been released for use in consumer computers. It is expected to become available in the near future, but at this time, the only type of memory supported by B550 motherboards and Ryzen 5000 series CPUs is DDR4.

I apologize for any confusion this may have caused.
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007611 601410157

shengton

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
I apologize for the misunderstanding. The page you shared does indeed appear to be a list of DDR5 memory modules. It is possible that DDR5 memory has recently become available for purchase, although it is not yet widely available and may not be compatible with all motherboards or CPUs.

It's worth noting that DDR5 is a new type of memory that is expected to offer improvements over DDR4 in terms of speed and efficiency. However, it is not yet widely supported by consumer hardware, so it may be some time before it becomes widely available and widely used.

Dec 15, 2022
Thanks for the suggestion guys @Phaaze88 @Why_Me @shengton ! I just upgraded my Ram in my list to DDR5-6000.
What about the cooling unit? May be in the future I will overclock my cpu. So liquid cooling maybe? how to select one?

Edit 1: So far I have purchased RTX 3080, SSD, and now RAM.

Last edited:

shengton

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion guys @Phaaze88 @Why_Me @shengton ! I just upgraded my Ram in my list to DDR5-6000.
What about the cooling unit? May be in the future I will overclock my cpu. So liquid cooling maybe? how to select one?
If you're planning on overclocking your CPU in the future, a liquid cooling system can be a good option to consider. Liquid cooling systems are generally more efficient at removing heat from your CPU than air cooling systems, which can be beneficial if you're pushing your CPU to its limits by overclocking it.

There are a few different types of liquid cooling systems to choose from, including all-in-one (AIO) systems and custom loop systems. AIO systems are pre-assembled and easy to install, but may not offer as much cooling performance as a custom loop system. Custom loop systems, on the other hand, offer more flexibility and potential for improved cooling performance, but require more setup and maintenance.

When selecting a liquid cooling system, you should consider factors such as the size of your case, your budget, and the cooling performance you need. It's also important to make sure that the system you choose is compatible with your CPU and motherboard. Some liquid cooling systems are designed to work with specific CPU socket types, so you'll need to make sure that the system you choose is compatible with your CPU.

If you're not sure which type of liquid cooling system is right for you, you may want to consult with a knowledgeable computer hardware enthusiast or a salesperson at a computer hardware store. They should be able to help you choose a system that meets your needs and budget.

Dec 15, 2022
If you're planning on overclocking your CPU in the future, a liquid cooling system can be a good option to consider. Liquid cooling systems are generally more efficient at removing heat from your CPU than air cooling systems, which can be beneficial if you're pushing your CPU to its limits by overclocking it.

There are a few different types of liquid cooling systems to choose from, including all-in-one (AIO) systems and custom loop systems. AIO systems are pre-assembled and easy to install, but may not offer as much cooling performance as a custom loop system. Custom loop systems, on the other hand, offer more flexibility and potential for improved cooling performance, but require more setup and maintenance.

When selecting a liquid cooling system, you should consider factors such as the size of your case, your budget, and the cooling performance you need. It's also important to make sure that the system you choose is compatible with your CPU and motherboard. Some liquid cooling systems are designed to work with specific CPU socket types, so you'll need to make sure that the system you choose is compatible with your CPU.

If you're not sure which type of liquid cooling system is right for you, you may want to consult with a knowledgeable computer hardware enthusiast or a salesperson at a computer hardware store. They should be able to help you choose a system that meets your needs and budget.

Thanks mate! I just read again what @Phaaze88 mentioned above to go with 360 or 420 aio/clc. Now that makes sense! Let me check the compatibility using the pc part picker site.

Dec 15, 2022
My list is optimized according to y'all suggestions. Thanks!
The list states only one warning and few notes though!

• A
    Warning: The MSI PRO Z690-A ATX LGA1700 Motherboard supports the Intel Core i9-12900KS 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor with BIOS version 7D25vA3. If the motherboard is using an older BIOS version, upgrading the BIOS will be necessary to support the CPU.
  • B
    Note: The Enermax Liqmax III 360 ARGB 72.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the MSI PRO Z690-A ATX LGA1700 Motherboard.
  • C
    Note: The video card PCIe 12-pin power connector adapter is being supplied by two 6+2-pin power connectors. Please ensure that the 6+2-pin power connectors are not daisy-chained and do not share the same power cable.
  • D
    Disclaimer: Some physical dimension constraints are currently not checked, such as CPU coolers and RAM clearance.

A) Is Anything to be concerned/addressed here?
B) Should I order a separate mounting adapter for the CPU Cooler?
C) and D) ???

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Partpicker isn't perfect, but lets see...
A)Not a problem. This board has a bios flashback switch, which will let you update the bios without a cpu installed.
B)PP is going to say that about every cpu cooler. The vendors have updated their packaging for LGA 1700, but the older packaging already out there doesn't just vanish. If you have bad luck and get the latter, then you should contact the brand's customer service.
Just going to have to wait and see what you get in the box for this one.

C)Not a problem. Just ensure you plug separate cables into the ends of the supplied 12-pin power adapter.
D)This is another thing PP always throws out. You should still be doing some compatibility checking of your own. Ram clearance not an issue with AIOs.

Dec 15, 2022

Do I really need RM850X? My total power usage is 685W?

Ar558

Proper
Dec 13, 2022
What's your recommendation?
I read this article and decided to go with PCIe3.0, by the way.

Well I have found you get a Gen4 drive for almost the same price. My Crucial P5 Plus drives are v good value but the P3 plus is cheaper and Still Gen 4 and here is only £5 more than the Gen 3 equivalent. If you're happy with Gen3 fine, it just seemed someone who is buying a 3080 would think a few extra dollars would be worth it for Gen4.

Dec 15, 2022
Well I have found you get a Gen4 drive for almost the same price. My Crucial P5 Plus drives are v good value but the P3 plus is cheaper and Still Gen 4 and here is only £5 more than the Gen 3 equivalent. If you're happy with Gen3 fine, it just seemed someone who is buying a 3080 would think a few extra dollars would be worth it for Gen4.
I really appreciate it though! Unfortunately I already bought them all in that list (before you mentioned anything) except for the power supply.

Reactions: Ar558