jackd

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
This will be my fist water cooled system and my first entirely home built System as well. This is what I was going to do.

Case -- Zalman LQ1000

Motherboard -- ASUS P5E3 PREMIUM/WIFI-AP @n LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX

CPU -- AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core

Graphics -- SAPPHIRE Atomic Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported

RAM -- Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400) (X2)

Sound -- ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1 Channels PCI Express Interface Sound Card

Hard Drive -- Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EADS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM (X2)

CD/DVD -- SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S223Q - OEM

Power -- COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-C50-EMBA-D2 1250W ATX Form Factor 12V V2.3 / SSI standard EPS 12V V2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

I've read alot on these forums from all of you who are alot more knowledgeable than I, so I just would like a critique on my setup. Any advice would be great... Thanks

G

I would recommend the swiftech kits, though most water cooling kits are pure !@#$, swiftech kits are nice and have great quality to them. Be prepared to drop at least 300 dollars for a nice setup.

As for your parts, I have a few problems. You don't need a dedicated sound card if your mobo has integrated hd audio. Caviar greens are fine but I've heard that they run at 5400rpm, not 7200rpm. Samsung dvd burner is a great choice. You don't need 1250 watts, thats rediculous and should be reserved for 4x crossfire or 3x sli setups. Instead, get a 650 or 750 watt psu. For the processor, you might want the 955 black edition cpu...

+1 for no kits except the Swiftech Apex (~$250-320).

Also do get a 7200 rpm drive. 5400rpm is a bit too slow esp. if transferring large files. Also you DO NOT need DDR3 1800. DDR3 1333 is more than enough.

Again, you DO NOT need a 1kW PSU. A good 750W PSU like the PC Power & Cooling 750 or the Corsair 750TX is more than enough.

As for more info on water cooling:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252455-29-water-cooled-computer#t1801333

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
^ you forgot two major things,

1) he's using an intel LGA775 motherboard with an AMD AM3/AM2+ processor.

2) he didn't even get an overclockers processor. (BE)

IMO, don't bother with water cooling if your specs are going to be that low because of it.

exentrick

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
Based on what you've posted, it seems you haven't done enough research. First of all, you selected an x48 motherboard, which is a last generation part, which, based on your build, it seems like you're going for somewhat top of the line. Secondly, you chose an AMD processor, which isn't compatible with the motherboard you selected. Also, that case is a huge waste of money. If you want a nice case, get a Lian-li or silverstone and then buy the water cooling parts separately, not integrated into the case. Leonlee was right. If you're going to buy a kit, you pretty much have to go with swifttech. Another option would be to get a kit from petra's, such as this one: http://www.petrastechshop.com/pecoel.html .

Before going any further, I highly suggest you take a step back and read up on current computer hardware and watercooling if you decide to go that route.

good luck

X

aberchonbie

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
I guess the only thing you mesed up on was the CPU. If you want to use that motherboard (with the X45 NB) you're gonna have to swap out the CPU for a LGA775 based Intel CPU.

If you're gonna get that motherboard, you can't get any of the Core i7 cpu's nor the Core i5's. Best bet would be a Core 2 Quad.

The x48 northbridge allows for crossfire at pci-e 2.0 for 2 slots at x16 speeds and another slot at im guessing x4 (as stated by newegg). This is a CROSSFIRE only solution, meaning you can't run nvidia cards in SLI on this board. I'm guessing you knew that already as you picked out a 4890 for your video card. I'm guessing you're going to be adding another 4890 in the near future.

If you want and AMD CPU with Crossfire, you're gonna want to look at board with the 790 series northbridge chipset (do your research and find out which specific chipset as I'm too lazy to do your research for you. one i remember is the 790fx)

Anyways, yeah change out that power supply as it's overkill. Also +1 on the case, swap that out as well.

LOL! I completely missed it. Nice catch.

@OP: What's your budget?

jackd

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Thanks for the info guys...I know, I'm new. But thats how you learn right. I will do some more research and go and checkout the forums. Thanks