[SOLVED] My friend has the exactly same pc, but better fps than i have.

Dec 31, 2019
Hi guys! Sooo my friend has exactly same pc as i do, but more fps than i have. We have i5-9400f, gtx 1660, 1x8gb ram 2666mhz, 258gb ssd. Mostly this problem is in csgo. Other games run very well. I have about 150-240fps in csgo, when he has 250-370fps. He's pc is older. I had it like week ago. I dont know what to do. I know that 200fps is hella good, but i know that it can go higher. Somebody please help!

Solution
I agree with CosmicDance, 1 stick of RAM means lower performance than two identical sticks in dual channel. To use dual channel memory you need to get the same stick of RAM you have now (same brand and model), and insert those stick of RAM into the right slots of the motherboard. Then you can use cpu-z (you can donwload the zip-english .exe from here https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html) to check if the RAM was installed correctly and that dual channel is enable (on the pic i linked it should said, "Channel #: Dual")

scBz3.png

NOTE: If your motherboard only have 2 slots of RAM then theres only 1 way to add another stick of RAM :)

Also another thing that could be hurting your FPS is...
I agree with CosmicDance, 1 stick of RAM means lower performance than two identical sticks in dual channel. To use dual channel memory you need to get the same stick of RAM you have now (same brand and model), and insert those stick of RAM into the right slots of the motherboard. Then you can use cpu-z (you can donwload the zip-english .exe from here https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html) to check if the RAM was installed correctly and that dual channel is enable (on the pic i linked it should said, "Channel #: Dual")

scBz3.png

NOTE: If your motherboard only have 2 slots of RAM then theres only 1 way to add another stick of RAM :)

Also another thing that could be hurting your FPS is Intel-VT, this is an option that may lower your FPS if its enable in the BIOS. To fix this simple go into the BIOS pressing the right key when the PC is turned On (usually "del" or "F2"), find the i-VT or iVT or whatever the name is in your motherboard and disable it, after that save the chnages and restart.

bqZDl.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: Karvinen
Solution
You are loosing performance with your single channel RAM. Trouble is RAM should be bought in kits to avoid issues which means buying a 2x8gb kit and not just adding another 1x8gb.

However if your friend has the same check the following;
  1. Is your RAM running at the correct speed?
  2. Do your cpu and gpu run at similar temperatures while gaming?
  3. Do you both have similar cpu and gpu usages when gaming?
  4. Are all motherboard and gpu drivers up to date?

Dec 31, 2019
You are loosing performance with your single channel RAM. Trouble is RAM should be bought in kits to avoid issues which means buying a 2x8gb kit and not just adding another 1x8gb.

Cpu usage is 60% in csgo
Gpu usage 30%

D

Deleted member 14196

I’m willing to bet your friend does not have the exact same PC as you. There are probably many many differences including the motherboard power supply and everything else so the comparison is basically useless and tells us nothing

Interesting video.
Only at the end does he allude to the processor involved being intel.
Intel seems to be less dependent on ram speed than ryzen.

One surprising thing was that there is a difference in performance between 8gb and 16gb.
He also does not address the potential issue of upgrading ram by adding more later.
Such an addition is not 100% guaranteed to work.
My conclusion from this is that with ram prices down, one should buy a 2 x 8gb ram kit up front.
And, there is no negative to faster ram if you can afford it.

Regardless, none of this applies to the OP's question where both pc's seem to have the same ram setup.

davidgirgis

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016
We need specs, model numbers of each and every component, for both systems, including the display each person is using...
As well as firmware revisions, especially for the motherboards used.

Are both computers running a freshly installed Windows 10...what about installed software on both machines...background processes, etc...

Something is different, that's for sure...

We may not be able to help the OP with any tangible advice per se...but this post might help someone else in the future with valuable insight...200 FPS is hella good...this post is just an exercise at this point...it's mostly a first-world problem :)... but it could still be useful/insightful...to someone...

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
To explain question about res and settings, the next two vids have the kinda same problem,same cpu,one with RTX 2060 and one with gtx 1660, one with gtx 1660 gets better fps (like friend) but uses 720P on low where RTX 2060 uses 1080p with high detail (gets fps like OP),

You'd think that RTX would be better ,but gtx 1660 beats it in fps,but again lower res and settings. Thinks it boils down to limitation of cpu at certain res and settings.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ah, that reduced input lag thing. I figured it was another gimmick just like the 240hz vs 144hz; 240hz isn't going to amount to anything if one doesn't have the reaction speed to match.

I'll pass on installing it myself. I'm not exactly a fan of fps shooters.