my friends try to say there 360 in more powerful than my PC, Is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

troy88

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
my friends try to say there Xbox 360 in more powerful than my PC, Is it?

i tryed to tell them that consoles hold back a game true potential. They say that Gears of War on the PC wont look near as good as it did on Xbox 360. But are they right?

Q6600
3 gigs 667mhz
320GB HD x 2
X1900XTX 512mb

marvelous211

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU
• Three symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each
• Two hardware threads per core; six hardware threads total
• VMX-128 vector unit per core; three total
• 128 VMX-128 registers per hardware thread
• 1 MB L2 cache

CPU Game Math Performance
• 9 billion dot product operations per second

Custom ATI Graphics Processor
• 500MHz processor
• 10 MB of embedded DRAM
• 48-way parallel floating-point dynamically scheduled shader pipelines
• Unified shader architecture

Polygon Performance
• 500 million triangles per second

Pixel Fill Rate
• 16 gigasamples per second fill rate using 4x MSAA

Shader Performance
• 48 billion shader operations per second

Memory
• 512 MB of GDDR3 RAM
• 700 MHz of DDR
• Unified memory architecture

Memory Bandwidth • 22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth
• 256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM
• 21.6 GB/s front-side bus

Overall System Floating-Point Performance
• 1 teraflop

You decide

Element0f0ne

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
Apples and oranges...

This has been argued to death forever. A console's hardware is dedicated and the developers for the console know exactly what resources they have, therefore can push it to it's limits and know that everyone who owns the console will be able to play the game and it look nice.

PC game developers don't have that luxury, and I wouldn't want them to. they have to develop usually for the widest audience available on a variety of different system configurations. So while the good developers include options for the high performance market, they have to allow the game to run on medium to low end systems decently as well if they want to appease the publisher and consumers.

The 360 is better than your PC to play 360 games, and you're PC is better than the 360 to play PC games. I haven't kept track of the PC version of GoW, but I hope they are optimizing it for the PC, if that's the case, than it should blow away the 360's version in terms of eye candy if they "port" it right...

troy88

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
to my understanding a Xbox 360 is a computer itself, and from what i learned on these boards game proformance goes GPU, CPU, Ram in that order, so if the Xbox 360 GPU is weaker than the PC GPU wouldnt the PC be superior, give the CPU and RAM are better aswell?

erloas

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2007
The easiest way to compare is to take games that run on both systems. Granted there are only a few of them out there now, but from everything I've seen both the PC and 360 versions look very good, but at the highest settings on the PC then the PC looks better. Its nothing huge, shadows are a little better, lines are a little crisper but its nothing too big.
Bioshock I know has a lot of side by side comparision shots between the different versions as do many other games. Find some of them and judge for yourself.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Ask your friends to run some of your other software applications. How fast will 360 convert video files? How fast will it edit sound files? How well will it run Dragon Natural Speaking?

burntham77

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
I just read that Gears of War for the PC will be optimized to take out the "depth of field bluring." They are also adding higher resolution textures. Take that as you wish.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
in short, its nigh impossible to compare the two, because even if your PC is better in terms of power, the 360 will have software designed solely for it (and won't have to run windows in the background either)

cleeve

Illustrious
If you had to compare them though... and play the same game with similar graphics settings at 1080p... I'd have to think the X1900 XTX would have a notably higher framerate.

This is a neat idea though. I think I should do a test for Tom's.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I believe the day that 360 came out it was competitive with current-gen PCs... but pretty much the moment 8800 series dropped, it was all down-hill from there. Like another poster said, your question requires that we compare apples to oranges. Although the 360 has evolved slightly since its release, none of the changes have been performance enhancing ones. It would be easy to say the moment a console is released it's at its peak... but that's not entirely true. As developers learn the tricks necessary to write efficient code, console graphics improve as the console ages (just think back to Super Mario Brothers and then Super Mario Brothers 3) Your friend is probably just jealous of your rig.

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Then again...

Aren't the following items computers as well?

iPhone
Linksys routers (or any router, for that matter)
PlayStation 3
some DVD, Blu-ray, and HD-DVD players

My point is that those are computers dedicated to one specific purpose. XBox 360 is the same way.

DJ_Jumbles

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Give me a break... let's compare a $500 Xbox 360 at 1080p and my desktop at 1080p and see which one is smoother. Considering that I've had mine hooked up to a 56" plasma at 1080p, I have to say that it's DAMN impressive. Now, compare that to the 360 at 1080p and gee... not much of a comparison considering that I'm getting 50-90fps in most games and the controls are smooth as butter. Not so with the 360. Try to fine aim on anything in any FPS on the 360 and you know what I'm talking about. Granted, the controls are another story, but to me, you can't beat the PC gaming experience except just by the sheer volume of titles that are released for the consoles (with most of those being absolute crap).

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
And if we're going to take peak theoretical performance numbers from the manufacturer, then PS3 is about 2x as powerful as the Xbox360! :sarcastic:

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
I second what someone else mentioned... ask your friend to do some Photoshopping or edit video on his 360.

And then, for fun, whoop his but in "Shadow Run"... 360 owners can play PC owners online.

From the MS point of view the Xbox is more powerful because control is power and they control the games that are produced to play on it, the time between upgrades to it, what is upgraded, which country gets the upgrades and which don't, the amount the unit costs respective of where it is sold, the amount peripherals cost and what is available and even how much you have to pay to play on line. That's power

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
lol no

the xbox 360 is just a stripped down pc. Real 3rd party benchamrks have shown the tri-core powerpc processor to be roughly twice as fast as the original xbox's when all three cores are utilized.

Xbox fanboys will deny this to the end and say that it's a supercomputer and that the reviewers were paid off by someone (lol). Even when shown the smaller dies size and smaller transister count and the stripped down architecture. A P4 could easily outperform the xbox360's cpu.

The GPU is quite good, but inadequate cooling also makes it the main reason 33% of xbox's get hit with the 3 red lights.

A PC will always be better than a console for gaming, imo.

I've played any number of games ported for both the PC and console over the years and the PC version has always had more eye candy, more fps, more responsive on the controls, and an overall better gaming experience.

No, that thread was killed as will be this one.

PC vs Console threads will be killed early from now on.

Simple answer, if you like playing on your console or PC who cares which one's more powerful?
The only thing that matters is whether they smoothly/easily play the titles you buy on the system/tv you have, beyond that it's Fanboi territoy and not worthy of debate.

Unless it's about graphics cards/features it doesn't belong here, and there's no debate left in that realm nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.