[SOLVED] My GPU started malfunctioning, need a suggestion.

JorisIn

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016
Hello. I'll give you a quick rundown. For the last few days my computer just does not detect my gpu. I've reset my bios, changed monitors, updated windows, everything. Sometimes, after the PC has been running off of integrated graphics for a while, the gpu starts working on the second monitor. The fans are running, it still functions (sometimes), but I honestly don't know where's the problem, so I'm just going to change the card. I want to future-proof to some extent, but I don't want to bottleneck my CPU because I can't afford a new one right now.
My specs are: CPU: Intel i5-6500
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 290 XFX (the card in question)
RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3300 MHz, Will add another stick soon.
Motherboard: MSI-MS 7978
I can't wait to hear your suggestions, thank you in advance, I would also need a suggestion for the RAM that would be compatible with my system.

Solution
So, in your opinion, replacing the gpu should be #1 priority? If i replace it and it still does not work, what next should I change, the PSU or the motherboard?
No, I suspect the psu. It is, I think a cheap unit that I would replace, regardless.

Unfortunately the way we diagnose pc hardware issues is by inspired replacement of parts.

If you can, see if a known good psu fixes your issue.
If you can't borrow one, perhaps a shop can test for you.
If all else fails, buy a new good quality replacement psu from a shop with a good return polisy.
Expect to pay a 15% restocking fee if you want to return the unit.

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs/. Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

How old is the PSU? Are you on the latest BIOS for your motherboard? You might want to try and drop in a donor card that has a lower TDP than the R9 290 to see if it detects and boots your system to GUI. If that happens you can understand that the PSU is unable to deliver the necessary power to the entire system with an R9 in it. You can try and drop the GPU into a donor system to rule out a dead/faulty GPU.

If you're asking for suggestions on a GPU to replace the R9 290, you forgot to include where you're located, what your budget is and the specs(which I've asked above prior).

Terry1978

Honorable
Apr 25, 2015
Hi would recomend that you check your gpu conections to power and is it corectly and securly in the pcie slot do all the with safety dont do it with pc runing or pluged in the wall ofc
Unplug PC from the wall open pc move the security buton on the side of gpu that secures it in take out card put back in card power up c what hapens it could be a conectivity problem and not software !!!

JorisIn

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016
Hi would recomend that you check your gpu conections to power and is it corectly and securly in the pcie slot do all the with safety dont do it with pc runing or pluged in the wall ofc
Unplug PC from the wall open pc move the security buton on the side of gpu that secures it in take out card put back in card power up c what hapens it could be a conectivity problem and not software !!!
I did that already. No success.

JorisIn

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs/. Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

How old is the PSU? Are you on the latest BIOS for your motherboard? You might want to try and drop in a donor card that has a lower TDP than the R9 290 to see if it detects and boots your system to GUI. If that happens you can understand that the PSU is unable to deliver the necessary power to the entire system with an R9 in it. You can try and drop the GPU into a donor system to rule out a dead/faulty GPU.

If you're asking for suggestions on a GPU to replace the R9 290, you forgot to include where you're located, what your budget is and the specs(which I've asked above prior).
CPU:Intel i5-6500
Motherboard: MSI-MS 7978
Ram:8 GB DDR4 3300 MHz
SSD/HDD: 2 SSDs, combined 500 gb, 2 HDDs, combined 1 TB
GPU:AMD Radeon R9 290 XFX
PSU: Chieftec CPS-750S

The PSU is really old, so is the whole system. The GPU is running at all times, with the fans spinning, so I don't think it is a power issue. I can spend about 300 euros for the GPU.

Newegg reviews have a high proportion of problems for the R9-290 cards.
That leads me to suspect that your card is failing.
Since you want to upgrade the card, go ahead and do that first.
Your budget should buy you a GTX1660super or possibly a RTX2060.
Either will use much less power than your R9-290.

In theory, 750w should run any graphics card you can buy.
But, I think chieftec is not well regarded as to quality.
It may have declined in power delivery over time.
If you can, test with a known good psu,
If the psu is not at least 650w, you can test without the R9-290 installed.

On ram. look at cpu-Z memory tab.
There you will see the specs of the ram you are using.
Try to buy a second 8gb stick with those specs of speed, voltage and timings.
You can not be 100% certain that such a second stick will be compatible with the first.
Ram needs to be matched. I put your odds of success at perhaps 90%
What is your plan "B" if the new stick does not play nice?
As an alternative, consider buying a 2 x 8gb kit with the same specs.
You will have a guaranteed 16gb.
Then try the old stick. If it works, you will have 24gb. If not, sell the old or keep it as a spare.

JorisIn

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016
Hello, I have another question. Could the problem be the MoBo? I tried both PCIex16 slots and they both do the same thing. Also, I took out the GPU and examined it a bit closer, and there are these weird grimey spots, which I tried cleaning with an alcohol solution. Attaching the pic below. I kept my system clean, absolutely no clue where they appeared from.image1 image2

So, in your opinion, replacing the gpu should be #1 priority? If i replace it and it still does not work, what next should I change, the PSU or the motherboard?
No, I suspect the psu. It is, I think a cheap unit that I would replace, regardless.

Unfortunately the way we diagnose pc hardware issues is by inspired replacement of parts.

If you can, see if a known good psu fixes your issue.
If you can't borrow one, perhaps a shop can test for you.
If all else fails, buy a new good quality replacement psu from a shop with a good return polisy.
Expect to pay a 15% restocking fee if you want to return the unit.

Solution