[SOLVED] My GPU usage in a new intense game is very low

Mar 13, 2020
I just installed Call of Duty Warzone. I knew I thought I'd have a few problems playing the game since my pc isn't very high end but I did not expect this. The games almost unplayable. Close to 90% of my CPU was being used, very high percentage of my ram, 70%+ I think was being used but only 7% of my graphics card and this was happening at a very low resolution (1366x768 I believe). I had imagined that I'd have to lower the settings for decent gameplay but I can't even run it without lag on 1366x768 .
Is this a problem with my graphics card or my computer altogether and does anyone know about a fix? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. Thanks.

My Build:
GPU: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM (7.94 GB RAM usable)
Current resolution: 1920 x 1080, 60Hz
Operating system: Windows 10

Solution
Windows updated. Gpu drivers upto date. I don't really get problems in other games but I did quit gaming a while back so my experience is kind of limited but pubglite, jedi fallen order, sekiro, odyssey etc are some games I recently played without any problems. I don't think the issues with my gpu tbh. Also i haven't tried playing it on 1920x1080 because geforce experience optimized it to 1366x768 and lowered all settings and I still faced alot of lag.

I need to know wether the GPU usage goes up when using 1080p because if it does, your GPU is probably fine and your being HEAVILY bottlenecked by your CPU.

If it doesnt, then it could mean a GPU Hardware or driver problem.

You say it doesnt happen in other games, can you tell...
I just installed Call of Duty Warzone. I knew I thought I'd have a few problems playing the game since my pc isn't very high end but I did not expect this. The games almost unplayable. Close to 90% of my CPU was being used, very high percentage of my ram, 70%+ I think was being used but only 7% of my graphics card and this was happening at a very low resolution (1366x768 I believe). I had imagined that I'd have to lower the settings for decent gameplay but I can't even run it without lag on 1366x768 .
Is this a problem with my graphics card or my computer altogether and does anyone know about a fix? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. Thanks.

My Build:
GPU: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM (7.94 GB RAM usable)
Current resolution: 1920 x 1080, 60Hz
Operating system: Windows 10

Well, technically, the lower your settings and resolution, the more the game pushes the resources onto the CPU over the GPU. Although, 7% usage just seems too low imo.

Heres a few questions and things to try 1st of all to get a starting point.
  • GPU Drivers up to date?
  • Windows up to date?
  • Does raising the resolution/and in game settings raise the GPU usage (ex. does 1920x1080 on high raise the usage) or does it remain the same?
  • Do you have the same issue in other games?

Mar 13, 2020
Well, technically, the lower your settings and resolution, the more the game pushes the resources onto the CPU over the GPU. Although, 7% usage just seems too low imo.

Heres a few questions and things to try 1st of all to get a starting point.
  • GPU Drivers up to date?
  • Windows up to date?
  • Does raising the resolution/and in game settings raise the GPU usage (ex. does 1920x1080 on high raise the usage) or does it remain the same?
  • Do you have the same issue in other games?
Windows updated. Gpu drivers upto date. I don't really get problems in other games but I did quit gaming a while back so my experience is kind of limited but pubglite, jedi fallen order, sekiro, odyssey etc are some games I recently played without any problems. I don't think the issues with my gpu tbh. Also i haven't tried playing it on 1920x1080 because geforce experience optimized it to 1366x768 and lowered all settings and I still faced alot of lag.

Mar 13, 2020
His :
CPU is above recommended specs.
Ram meets minimum specs
GPU - not quite meeting minimum specs which Activision says is a GTX670/GTX1650 but there are plenty of youtubes of this being played on a 1050ti
I don't really know much but from what I've gathered, my cpu is not one thats bad for gaming. Theres this YouTube channel releasing videos with a 1050ti and i5-9400F playing warzone on ultra settings. Is my CPU really this bad?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't really know much but from what I've gathered, my cpu is not one thats bad for gaming. Theres this YouTube channel releasing videos with a 1050ti and i5-9400F playing warzone on ultra settings. Is my CPU really this bad?
What's bad about your cpu is that it's a pure quad core - 4 cores/4 threads. It will basically choke on games that can utilize more resources than your cpu has.
A 9400F is a pure hex core - 6 cores/6 threads. So it'll run things a little more smoothly, until it too, chokes on games that, again, can utilize more resources than it has.

You have to take those youtube videos with a grain of salt, because the results can be MANIPULATED.
Does the video at least share their actual in game settings? What OS they're running? If they disabled any background processes, or made any changes to the Windows registry?
I wouldn't trust it at all if 'the how' wasn't shared at all - you know, let everyone else reap the rewards too.

I need to know wether the GPU usage goes up when using 1080p because if it does, your GPU is probably fine and your being HEAVILY bottlenecked by your CPU.

You say it doesnt happen in other games, can you tell me some numbers? Whats your GPU and CPU usage in other games? 3 examples would be nice.

Solution
Mar 13, 2020

You say it doesnt happen in other games, can you tell me some numbers? Whats your GPU and CPU usage in other games? 3 examples would be nice.
I'm not entirely sure but I haven't faced any big problems in other games. I do know that its always my ram and cpu thats being heavily used though. Ill try running it at 1080p as soon as i can.

itachixg

Honorable
Jan 30, 2017
I'm not entirely sure but I haven't faced any big problems in other games. I do know that its always my ram and cpu thats being heavily used though. Ill try running it at 1080p as soon as i can.
similar problem. only i had a gtx 1050 no ti but 12 gb of ram still the game is barely running 20 to an unstable 45 fps no matter the resolution other games. overwatch, wow,rainbow six siegue gta V are just fine

Apr 30, 2020
I went from a i7 4790k (with no issues) to an i7 9700k and my cpu spikes were sticking at 100% the majority of time in Warzone, but even campaign mode would spike. I made the changes in the video below and my cpu usage dropped 40-50%. I also noticed my cpu was now running closer to the base clock (3.6ghz) instead of turbo boost (4.7ghz) most the time.

https://youtu.be/I3Nujm8D8ys