Question My graphics card (GTX 970 FTW) recently broke and I want to know if it's safe to just install a new graphics card?

Jul 28, 2019
My PC stopped working about 3 months ago and I had no idea why. The screen just went black and my PC shutdown while I was playing Overwatch and then wouldn't turn back on at all (no fans trying to start or anything). So I took it to a local PC repair person to see what the problem was and to hopefully fix it. But when I went back to find out what the problem was he said that my problem was my graphics card (GTX 970 FTW) made my PC not turn on for some reason but my PC worked fine without it plugged in. He did say that when it was plugged in the graphics card would get very hot near where the SLI slot is and he also said not to use the same power cable connected to the graphics card just in case it was that which made my graphics card break.

So I'm wondering do I need to do any checks on my PC to make sure it is ok and wont break my new (RTX 2070 SUPER) that I'm going to install?

Specs when PC broke:-
Graphics - GTX 970 FTW
Motherboard - Z170 PRO gaming
Power supply - EVGA 1000w supernova G2
Ram - 16gb
CPU - I5 6600K
OS - Windows 10
Side notes - I have not overclocked the CPU or Graphics card ever.
- GTX 970 FTW (Broken) - Intel integrated graphics (Currently using) - RTX 2070 SUPER (What i want to install)

Can you boot this PC via the Integrated Graphics Processor ? If the PC works fine with the igpu, then I don't think you should be facing any issues installing the new GPU ?

Also, you have an excellent PSU as well. BTW, can you check any other discrete GPU on this PC, maybe borrow one from your friend ?

If it's not your power supply that caused it, then yes it would be safe to install an RTX 2070.

But, it sounds like it's not certain if it was just the GTX 970 or something with the power supply.

I would contact EVGA and ask them if your PSU was faulty, would they take responsibility for damaged products (GPUs) as a result.

Jul 28, 2019
Can you boot this PC via the Integrated Graphics Processor ? If the PC works fine with the igpu, then I don't think you should be facing any issues installing the new GPU ?

Also, you have an excellent PSU as well. BTW, can you check any other discrete GPU on this PC, maybe borrow one from your friend ?

Yes i can boot in integrated graphics and have been using it fine since i got it back for the guy who fixed it. But no sadly i cannot use anyone elses card on my system. Was just wondering if there was some checks I could do to make sure it wasn't my power supply overloading it?

Jul 28, 2019
If it's not your power supply that caused it, then yes it would be safe to install an RTX 2070.

But, it sounds like it's not certain if it was just the GTX 970 or something with the power supply.

I would contact EVGA and ask them if your PSU was faulty, would they take responsibility for damaged products (GPUs) as a result.

I would have to send it to EVGA to get tested right? Or do they have some kind of way to know if a batch was faulty after they have shipped them? Also if that is the case is there anyway I could test the power supply myself? As I'm going away soon and don't have much time to send/receive the power supply.