[SOLVED] My GTX 1080 Ti is underperforming

Dec 4, 2019
PC Specs
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700k @ 3.60 GHz
Mobo: MSI Z270-A PRO
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

So about a week ago, my father had bought me a new pre-built gaming PC because I did well in my exams. When I tried gaming on it, I noticed that my FPS was significantly lower than most of the benchmarks that I've seen on YouTube. For example, in Rainbow 6 Siege I would be getting 80 - 120 frames while the benchmarks on YouTube would be getting up to 180 - 230 frames. I was quite weirded out by this and decided to use MSI Afterburner and see if anything was wrong. It turns out that my CPU had a higher utilization percentage compared to my GPU. Could my CPU be bottlenecking my GPU? If anyone could help me solve this problem, it would be very much appreciated.

Solution
Sometimes the problem can be just an PSU issue. Where your PSU doesn’t deliver power efficiently. Some of the energy can be transferred to the fans and also convert itself into heat and release it. If you get a 80 plus bronze, gold, platinum, silver, certified rated psu, I would go for it and test it. Those PSU will deliver more than enough power to your GPU and build more efficiently. Since it’s a prebuilt system, I probably wouldn’t worry AB this problem, but it can be an issue. I would also check to see if everything is connected the way it should be for the GPU MOBO, etc. Try plugging the PCI-E cables in different areas on the GPU. Many things can cause underperforming GPUs, even programs running in the background can cause that...

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

You should not be bottlenecking on your CPU, unless ofc you've set the game to an absurd resolution on your monitor. Speaking of which, what resolution and in-game detail are you dealing with? 1080p?

Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. Then make sure you're on the latest version of Windows 10(assuming you're on it). Then you can try uninstalling and reinstalling your GPU drivers.

Dec 4, 2019
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700k @ 3.60 GHz
Motherboard: MSI Z270-A PRO
Ram: HyperX Fury 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 Ram
SSD/HDD: XLR8 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD and Seagate 1TB HDD
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
PSU: Thermaltake 650W
Chassis: Segotep Lux II Chasis

I am dealing with 1080p resolution and have updated my BIOS to the latest version. I have also tried reinstalling my GPU drivers but it hasn't really improved the performance at all. One more thing I should point out is that my GPU usage while gaming is around 40% - 65% while my CPU usage is 75% - 85%. When I see FPS tests/benchmarks on YouTube, their GPU usage is always at 99%.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019
Sometimes the problem can be just an PSU issue. Where your PSU doesn’t deliver power efficiently. Some of the energy can be transferred to the fans and also convert itself into heat and release it. If you get a 80 plus bronze, gold, platinum, silver, certified rated psu, I would go for it and test it. Those PSU will deliver more than enough power to your GPU and build more efficiently. Since it’s a prebuilt system, I probably wouldn’t worry AB this problem, but it can be an issue. I would also check to see if everything is connected the way it should be for the GPU MOBO, etc. Try plugging the PCI-E cables in different areas on the GPU. Many things can cause underperforming GPUs, even programs running in the background can cause that issue, check task manager make sure no mining softwares are running, seems pretty common nowadays, lol. If nothing works, then it’s most likely the PSU.

Solution
Dec 4, 2019
Can you send an exact model of the GPU? Like the manufacturer. EVGA, Zotac, etc.
I just found out that my GPU is a 3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (ZOTAC International)

Sometimes the problem can be just an PSU issue. Where your PSU doesn’t deliver power efficiently. Some of the energy can be transferred to the fans and also convert itself into heat and release it. If you get a 80 plus bronze, gold, platinum, silver, certified rated psu, I would go for it and test it. Those PSU will deliver more than enough power to your GPU and build more efficiently. Since it’s a prebuilt system, I probably wouldn’t worry AB this problem, but it can be an issue. I would also check to see if everything is connected the way it should be for the GPU MOBO, etc. Try plugging the PCI-E cables in different areas on the GPU. Many things can cause underperforming GPUs, even programs running in the background can cause that issue, check task manager make sure no mining softwares are running, seems pretty common nowadays, lol. If nothing works, then it’s most likely the PSU.
I have found no mining software. I think the PSU may be the problem. But one thing I think I should say is that when I use MSI Kombustor, my GPU utilizes 99%, which is good. But when I play something like GTA V, it only utilizes 60%, which is weird

Nov 28, 2019
I just found out that my GPU is a 3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (ZOTAC International)

I have found no mining software. I think the PSU may be the problem. But one thing I think I should say is that when I use MSI Kombustor, my GPU utilizes 99%, which is good. But when I play something like GTA V, it only utilizes 60%, which is weird
Once you exit a game or go back to windows, your GPU takes off less load if your not playing 3D intense games at that current point in time. If you have another monitor, I’d suggest to have task manager opened on the separate monitor and play GTA V and check the GPU usage. GPU are most heavily used during gameplay. If no intense 3D pixels or resolution are displayed on full screen GPU will not be at 100%. And regarding the Zotac, have you tried checking GPU-Z? Some softwares are a bit buggy.

Nov 28, 2019

Also, I’d definitely recommend reseating the card on the PCI-E slot, these cards sag a lot. If that’s doesn’t work, have something supporting the card so it’s not sagging. Also try to disable iGPU in bios, and then clear CMOS. If that doesn’t work, try a new and better quality PSU. Please let me know how it goes.