Question My HP Omen 15 will not completely shut down

Sep 20, 2024
Hi guys,

A year ago i bought a used HP Omen 15 (specifically HP Omen 15-dc1002tx) with Windows 11 running on it. The main issue is that sometimes (and lately most of the time) when i try to shut it down the screen will go black but the keyboard will still remain lit and the fans will still go. This means i have to long press the power button each time i need to shut it down and it gets really frustrating (or let the battery go out)
Here are some fixes i tried that yielded no results:
-disabling Fast Startup and Hibernation
-reinstalling Windows
-unchecked the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' in the Power Management tab for the usb controllers in Device Manager
-edited the power plan so that the power savings to the pcie express is set to off
-tried disabling the battery devices in Device Manager
-i think there was one more but i cant remember it was something very niche either way
-tried letting the laptop cool after loads (though this has worked a bunch of times but not always)
-let in the partially shut down state for 5 hours to see if something would happen
-the Event Viewer and Reliability Monitor show that Windows was not properly shut down but not always, but at one point i did get a bunch of a Live Event ID 141 regarding nvlddmkm.sys but that hasn't happened in like 9 months so idk

I did try to boot off a usb flash drive with Ubuntu on it and it actually shut down even after some mild usage but i can't tell if it's consistent or not.

All my drivers are up to date including Bios. I dont know if this is a hardware issue or windows issue because other than not shutting down properly, the laptop works and performs well. It is also worth mentioning that this issue arrises after the machine has done some sort of load. For example, when i open the laptop just for watching youtube, there's a high chance it will shut down normally (though it happened to also not completely shut down even after doing menial task on it for the duration of runtime), but when i try to play a game the laptop gets hot and loud and if i try to shut it down it will fail most of the time.

my specs are:
-Intel Core I5 8300H
-Nvidia RTX 2060
-16gb of RAM (i added a mismatched frequency 8gb stick but my problem was already present way before this 'upgrade')

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you leave the laptop alone and seen if the shut down was delayed shutdown.

reinstalling Windows
Where did you source the installer for the OS and did you install the OS in offline mode?

All my drivers are up to date including Bios.
BIOS version for your laptop?

Try and disassemble the laptop, disconnect the internal battery and press and hold down the power button for 30secs, then reconnect the battery and try powering on and seeing if the issue persists.

Reactions: predictormercurial
Sep 20, 2024

reinstalling Windows
Where did you source the installer for the OS and did you install the OS in offline mode?

Yes i left it running while cooking and cleaning and it just stayed that way.
I reset Windows through the 'Reset this PC' option in Windows.
Bios version/date: AMI F.28, 7/11/2023

Sep 20, 2024

reinstalling Windows

Try and disassemble the laptop, disconnect the internal battery and press and hold down the power button for 30secs, then reconnect the battery and try powering on and seeing if the issue persists.
Tried to remove the battery and do the hardware reset and this hasn't worked

Worth mentioning is that the battery is a bit bulged (i guess from overcharging) and when i booted back up i got a CMOS 502 error from the Bios

TRENDING THREADS