[SOLVED] My i9 10900k is overheating, sometimes 100 Degrees C at 28% use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 9, 2021
So around February this year I got my pc and at first it was okay, everything worked fine and I did not notice any performance issues until last month, a red LED turned on every time I was playing a game like GTAV and Valorant, In those and many other games my fps was just so bad I used to get 155 on GTAV and 270+ on Val but even with the graphic setting on low I still get only 60 fps on gta and 100 on val with recurrent lags and bigger fps drops, I tried tweaking some settings around in the bios but nothing works well, My cpu idles 48-65 c° but sometimes it gets up to 70 c° I'm sure that's not normal considering my room is almost all times cold (around 18-24 C° )
My specs are a
i9 10900k
GTX 1060 6gb
34G HyperX 3600Mhz ram
z490-f gaming motherboard
1300w EVGA g2 power
MSI coreliquid 240R
Case is a Corsair x570
I did some tests and everything checks out, I got all passes in the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/258985429250998272/885529803481022554/unknown.png
When I open Valorant
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/258985429250998272/885530407997673502/unknown.png
And it happens a lot, I removed the cpu cooler block cleaned all the thermal paste off and re applied it, the temps did go down for a bit and I was no longer getting temps over 80 c° but that only lasted for a bit after my temps went right back up, I want to play and use my pc but with those temps I just can't please someone help me

Solution
Its on the top
You have to move it, as it can't be kept there for very long.
The pump is in the radiator on this model, and AIOs are not topped off with fluid, so there is air present from the beginning.
Air will move to the highest point of the loop; over time, the ratio of air to liquid changes as liquid slowly permeates the tubes.
Bottom line: The pump's being exposed to air, and it should always be wet - or completely immersed in the fluid. The fluid keeps it cool and prevents friction, after all.

Try to mount the radiator like this:
iu

If the tubing isn't long enough to let you do this, then manually hold it that...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Its on the top
The pump is in the radiator on this model, and AIOs are not topped off with fluid, so there is air present from the beginning.
Air will move to the highest point of the loop; over time, the ratio of air to liquid changes as liquid slowly permeates the tubes.
Bottom line: The pump's being exposed to air, and it should always be wet - or completely immersed in the fluid. The fluid keeps it cool and prevents friction, after all.

iu

If the tubing isn't long enough to let you do this, then manually hold it that way, at least while you check thermals.

Reactions: Nighthawk117
Solution
Sep 9, 2021

iu

If the tubing isn't long enough to let you do this, then manually hold it that way, at least while you check thermals.
That makes sense lol, never thought about that before, im used to people telling to put the radiator on top but like you said the pump is in a not so usual place, thanks I will try it

Sep 9, 2021

iu

Wow I came home and finished the cable management now thigs are even worse, I now idle 100 C , I have no idea about what I can do
unknown.png

It's possible, you have air bubble trapped inside cpu block.
Turn your pc case, so radiator is above cpu block and let it run for couple minutes this way.
Air bubble should migrate to radiator and settle in upper portion of the radiator.

If that doesn't help, then either pump has died or cpu block is clogged.

Djokili

Reputable
Jun 14, 2017
Any update? I have the same problem with i5 10600k and MSI coreliquid 240R . It worked fine for one year and now it's overheating for no reason, I did nothing with hardware nor software. I guess we bought <Mod Edit> cooling, unlucky.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Any update? I have the same problem with i5 10600k and MSI coreliquid 240R . It worked fine for one year and now it's overheating for no reason, I did nothing with hardware nor software. I guess we bought <Mod Edit> cooling, unlucky.
Did you mount it at the front of your chassis like the OP did at post #11?
If so, it's possible the problem lies with the impeller; maybe it's come loose, or is broken. Either way, you may be looking at an RMA, because that's not something you can fix.

Djokili

Reputable
Jun 14, 2017
Did you mount it at the front of your chassis like the OP did at post #11?
If so, it's possible the problem lies with the impeller; maybe it's come loose, or is broken. Either way, you may be looking at an RMA, because that's not something you can fix.

Yes, it's mounted at the front, the radiator is always cold no matter how fast are fans spinning. There are two connector cables between pump and radiator, one is hot other is cold, i assume it should be like that. I guess i will have to buy new one.

msi.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.