[SOLVED] My Intel computer will not install the 1903 update due to an AMD issue

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 2, 2019
As stated, I am using an intel build. The update states that it cannot upgrade to 1903 until I update my AMD drivers for my "AMD Ryzen" or Threadripper "configured in SATA or NVMe RAID mode" Those drivers can't be updated, as this is NOT an AMD system. It is intel. As directed by the links, I go to the X399 Drivers & Support page to be told my system is not an AMD system and the drivers will not update. The Motherboard is an ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 with a chipset Z390. It is currently configuring my Crucial P1 M.2 2280 as a AMD-Raid SCSI device. and the drivers will not update by any means.

All attempts to update the driver fail. All attempts to "repair" windows fail to resolve the issue.

Not sure what to attempt next. Also it should be noted, that the Crucial Storage Executive does not "see" the physical drive at all preventing updates to drivers or any manipulation of the drive( firmware) as Crucial suggests. Intel SSD Toolbox CAN see the drive physically, but again can offer no manipulation of the drivers or firmware.

The computer specs are listed here. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5AY8N8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Solution
Issue Fixed. Not a Windows, not a driver, not a motherboard. Turns out it was in fact an error, as stated in most of my replies, at the assembly company. After MUCH patience I finally got a reply to my email. "We will send out a properly imaged M2 drive." It arrived, installed. perfection. I was even able to salvage my information from the old drive, then nuke it, delete the partitions, re-partition, re format, then delete the image on the old drive, package it up and send it right back. So the 3rd party guru that gave me the insight that this was a custom image used by the assembler of the unit as a short cut, appears to be correct. Of course I have to get every thing set back to my preferences again, but what...
Aug 2, 2019
Issue Fixed. Not a Windows, not a driver, not a motherboard. Turns out it was in fact an error, as stated in most of my replies, at the assembly company. After MUCH patience I finally got a reply to my email. "We will send out a properly imaged M2 drive." It arrived, installed. perfection. I was even able to salvage my information from the old drive, then nuke it, delete the partitions, re-partition, re format, then delete the image on the old drive, package it up and send it right back. So the 3rd party guru that gave me the insight that this was a custom image used by the assembler of the unit as a short cut, appears to be correct. Of course I have to get every thing set back to my preferences again, but what are you going to do?

Reactions: lowlou
Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am glad you are fixed, I wonder about the other people out there who are in a similar position or will be, are the assembly company going to offer the same service to all of them? And how do they find out? Who do they contact?

You can't put names or anything here but makes me wonder what to do.

Sep 3, 2019
Got a reply from LDLC: they have several issue of that kind on several PC they built. Solution? Re-intall Windows.
Also got a reply from ASRock: "AMD drivers on an Intel build? Do you use the correct drivers?". No <Mod Edit> Sherlock.

Moral of the story, better build myself the next one...

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 14196

Got a reply from LDLC: they have several issue of that kind on several PC they built. Solution? Re-intall Windows.
Also got a reply from ASRock: "AMD drivers on an Intel build? Do you use the correct drivers?". No <Mod Edit> Sherlock.

Moral of the story, better build myself the next one...
LOL, most of the time, clean install fixes it, unless it's a real hardware issue

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I know a clean install fixes 99% of this kind of problems, but we are talking about a profesionnal machine and I have a lot of other things to do than to re-install an entire workstation.

I get your point, truly I do, but sometimes it comes down to "what's the fastest solution." All the more so when most builders will never admit their fault in the situation in the first place and you can spend forever chasing them.

I'm actually impressed that, in this case, the source of the problem has admitted fault, even if that is awfully cold comfort.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The entire purpose of getting a premade or custom built one is so you don't have to do it yourself. How many of their customers are not computer literate, if its the 1903 update they can't get, they have a year before win 10 will really start to bug them.. The maker should send an advisement out to people with the same builds and offer a fix since they were the ones who took the shortcut.

It should be covered by a build warranty, if you get such a thing.

Wonder how many more people will comment on this thread going forward.

Sep 18, 2019
I just read the whole thread and I was really hoping for a simple solution :(
I'm having the same problem, on a computer assembled by LDLC, with an M2 drive.
It was the first time I paid to get my PC assembled rather than build it myself, because I don't have time anymore for this...
I'll try to write to LDLC support and keep you updated.

Sep 7, 2019
I just read the whole thread and I was really hoping for a simple solution :(
I'm having the same problem, on a computer assembled by LDLC, with an M2 drive.
It was the first time I paid to get my PC assembled rather than build it myself, because I don't have time anymore for this...
I'll try to write to LDLC support and keep you updated.
pas fichu de t'installer Windows correctement, une belle bande de bras cassé les monteurs. Pas fichu non plus de faire un geste commercial (enfin simplement d'assumer leur responsabilité, puisque tout ça c'est software). Dernière fois que j'achète quoi que ce soit chez eux. Terminé.

Colif

Win 11 Master
pas fichu de t'installer Windows correctement, une belle bande de bras cassé les monteurs. Pas fichu non plus de faire un geste commercial (enfin simplement d'assumer leur responsabilité, puisque tout ça c'est software). Dernière fois que j'achète quoi que ce soit chez eux. Terminé.
Can we stick to English please? I realise its a French case but these are English forums.

I am going to close this thread once Thymoglobule replies. This could get bigger before it ends but new posters can start new threads if they wish referring to this one. we know what cause is so no real reason to ask questions.

Sep 7, 2019
Why do you want to close the thread ? More people come here and explain the situation they're in. I think it helps !

What I was saying above (sorry for the french slang, it was late and wanted to go straight to the fact) is that the people that have built the computers don't do a good job, and it's not under warranty because it's a software problem. I continued saying it would be my last purchase at this shop.

Reactions: MirabellStudio
Sep 18, 2019
Sorry for the late update.
So I wrote to LDLC. They admited it was "probably" their fault for installing the same disk image (with the AMD drivers) on every system regardless of the true nature of the data storage controller on the motherboard.
They told me to try to delete the AMD Drivers in the windows device manager and gave me Intel drivers to install instead. Unfortunately this didn't worked at all and my PC wasn't able to boot anymore on the system disk after. I managed to restore it by reinstalling Windows on the same drive without deleting the partition, but of course this restored the dreaded AMD drivers...
So I finally had delete the system partitions and reinstall Windows from scratch. This solved the problem. It wasn't necessary to change anything in the BIOS.

Oct 8, 2019
I'm having this exact same problem on a Dell XPS 8930 Intel (i7 8700). I bought it with a Hard Drive only and then upon receiving the machine I immediately installed a Crucial P1 500GB NVMe SSD as the boot drive and installed Windows using Dell recovery media. Everything worked perfectly until this dreaded Windows 1903 update. Given the headache you all are describing, I might just wait for a Black Friday deal and get a 2.5" SATA SSD (didn't really notice the NVMe speed difference anyway). Please do keep this thread going as long as possible, I'd love to know whether Microsoft / Crucial / whoever ends up offering a real solution.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Doing a feature update on an existing functioning installation will do just that, update the existing installation. While it's close to a fresh install, it's not a fresh install. That's what using the Update Assistant (Update now button on the Win10 download page) does.

If those who imaged a machine at build applied an image that is incongruent with the actual hardware, but that still functioned, when Windows 10 goes to update it will presume that "the core parts" are correct. And by the core parts I mean what it gets back when it interrogates the hardware during installation.

As has been noted it appears "the effective way" to fix this is to do the necessary tweak in UEFI/BIOS followed immediately by a completely clean reinstall, such that Windows 10 will now have all the correct hardware information it needs to install correctly for said hardware.

The old coder's maxim, "Garbage in, garbage out," applies here. If the Windows 10 installer is being misled about what hardware actually exists it not going to give a good result.

Oct 8, 2019
Thanks for the suggestion; unfortunately it didn't work. The Update Assistant rebooted the machine, which then remained stuck on a black 'Dell' screen with a spinner for several hours until I did a hard shut down and booted it up again... now it's back to the original state, with no 1903 update.
If you have a dell, contact them for warranty support. They'll fix it for free.

Oct 8, 2019
If you have a dell, contact them for warranty support. They'll fix it for free.
Dell Warranty support surely won't help, since it's not an OEM drive - I bought the machine with a Hard Drive only and then installed my own NVMe to save money (buying it as part of the Dell build costs twice as much).

Oct 8, 2019
In folder "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" there is a log file called reporting events. Scroll down to the end of the log. Does it says the error as to why 1903 is failing?

Did you try the Windows 10 Update troubleshooter?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027322/windows-update-troubleshooter
Thanks for the follow-up. The log file is quite long and hard to parse, but the Windows 10 Update installer makes no secret of the problem. It says "AMD Ryzen™ or AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ configured in SATA or NVMe RAID mode.
A driver is installed that causes stability problems on Windows. This driver will be disabled. Check with your software/driver provider for an updated version that runs on this version of Windows." and then provides the following link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-update-on-computers-running-certain-amd-raid

Unfortunately, none of this is useful, as I have an Intel PC and am unable to install any sort of AMD driver updates. Seems that Crucial botched this one. So far I am unimpressed with their support; if they can't make this right, they'll have lost a long-time customer.